Author Topic: death record and headstone  (Read 6197 times)

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: death record and headstone
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 August 15 23:47 BST (UK) »
Hi JDC
thank you, that would be much appreciated if you find you have a little time  :)

Hi Eileenwilson
I think you may have thrown up some interesting information.  James (born 1860 in Scotland) is likely to have been the brother of Robert and Elizabeth and thus the younger siblings of John.  I had given up looking for James as the last reference I had to him was that he was in attendance at the mothers death (of Phthisis) in Scotland that occurred on  7 August 1877.  James coming out with Robert and Elizabeth makes sense as their brothers William and Alexander also died of the disease in 1877. 

Other siblings of John included Mary (b1851 who married a George Anderson), Margaret (b 1855 and last identified in the Scotland census 1871) and Janet (b 1860 also last documented in 1871).  There is the possibility of a Kelt as well but I think this may be a transcription error.

The parents of these children were Alexander Welsh 1827-1867 Blacksmith and Mary Forsyth 1825-1877 Pirn Winder.

May you please head me in the correct direction of how you located the passenger list as I have been unable to find your discovery.

Many many thanks - I am very excited by all this info.
Welsh: Kilbarchan;Canada; New Zealand
MacArthur:North Knapdale
 Weckesser: Germany, Netherands, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia
O'Brien: Australia, New Zealand

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 August 15 23:58 BST (UK) »
Do you have access to Ancestry? If so, you can search the Canadian passenger records by looking for Welsh aboard the Manitoban arriving on September 30, 1877.  They must have left almost immediately after their mother's funeral which would make sense if there were no parents left to care for the younger kids.

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 August 15 00:05 BST (UK) »
I don't believe this has been mentioned:
Avondale Cemetery
James Welsh, Section F, Lot 040, SubLot 1
Perhaps this was the one who sailed in 1877?  (He also is in a neighbouring plot of the Welsh family.)

Forgot to mention the date:  1878-08-14   ::)
http://www.stratfordcanada.ca/en/livehere/cemetery.asp#records
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 August 15 00:14 BST (UK) »
Avondale Cemetery, Section F, Lot 040
All had the surname Welsh
James - 1878-08-14   SubLot 1
George (Infant) - 1880-02-07  SubLot "-"
Robert - 1883-03-30   SubLot 4
John F - 1913-12-09   SubLot 2
Mary - 1931-12-31   SubLot 3
(I think I recorded every Welsh surname from Section F, Lot 040)

Perhaps they were all related?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 August 15 00:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the additional name - looking very likely to be the family.  Unfortunately along with excitement I am starting to feel rather sad  :'( due to the deaths of so many.  I have just tried to do a search for the death registrations of Robert and James but cannot find them.  I am curious about the causes of death.  I have wee Georges schedule of death for 1880 and John, Mary and daughter Minnie, but cannot find the other 2.  Just wondering if early records were not always kept.

thanks again

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 August 15 15:40 BST (UK) »
I cannot find Robert's registration from 1883.  I did look, page-by-age, for registrations in Perth from that time frame, but I didn't see him.
If you have access to deaths, the deaths that I found for Stratford, 1883 starts with Elizabeth Lye, died 1882, Ontario, Canada (page 44 of 73 pages).

Perhaps there was more than one book of deaths in Stratford, 1883?  :-\
Could he have died outside of the county I wonder?

Note:  Some of my ancestors' deaths were recorded months after their passing; so it was not uncommon to register individuals quite a while after their deaths.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 09 August 15 16:33 BST (UK) »
I also could not find James' death registration.  I was hoping that if I went page-by-page I might be able to find him.   :-\

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 10 August 15 08:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your hard work.  I also went through the deaths page by page thinking that would be the only way to find James and Robert, so I know how thorough you must have been.  I am pleased I haven't missed the obvious this time!! I might go back and look at Quebec - for no particular reason except that's were they arrived by ship.

Thanks again for everyone's assistance,  despite the sadness of the deaths it was an exciting weekend of discoveries.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 10 August 15 08:54 BST (UK) »
There were a lot of deaths,  :'(  but then I guess that was a part of life "back then".

Were there any family members living away from Perth County during 1878 or 1883?  Is there a chance that their deaths were recorded long after their passing?   :-\