Author Topic: Walter Peacock - Caroline Peacock  (Read 3643 times)

Offline Norfolk Nigel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walter Peacock - Caroline Peacock
« on: Saturday 08 August 15 10:36 BST (UK) »
Please help!  I have found the following about Walter and Caroline but there appears to be some anomalies! I have assumed that the starting point in the 1871 Census refers to the correct 2 people.

- 1871 Census - RG10-1843-80-10 - shows Caroline aged 7 living with her parents in Shipdham - RG10-1829-69-3 - shows Walter aged 13 (assistant to his blacksmith father) living with his parents in Beighton

- 1880, Oct 21 - marriage in Beighton (from FreeREG also FindMyPast Parish Record image) - all names, parents, occupations and ages correspond to 1871 Census - Civil Registration Blofield 4B 521

- 1881 Census - RG11-1961-70-4 - shows Caroline living with husband Walter Peacock

- 1881, Aug 18 - birth of daughter Fanny Sophia - may be August 18 (from unsubstantiated source) - Beighton - baptised 18 Sep 1881, Beighton Parish Records - married Henry Ernest Stevens 1899

- 1883, Apr 5 - birth of daughter Edith Alice - MI in Beighton churchyard gives b. 5 Apr 1883, d. 4 May 1885

- 1884, Jun 10 - birth of daughter Dora Caroline - PR Beighton gives b. 10 Jun 1884 and parents correspond

- 1886 - possible daughter Ada Ellen born, maybe 5 Mar 1886 - Civil Registration Blofield 4B 266

- 1891 Census - RG12-1554-5-3 - shows Walter (b.1861 Morley, blacksmith) living in East Dereham with wife Emma and daughter Fanny (b.1881 Beighton) - RG12-79-96-14 - shows Frederick Hunt boarding with a furniture maker

- 1896,  Jul 26 - marriage in London of Caroline Peacock, widow, and Frederick Hunt, ages and fathers correspond -Civil Registration Shoreditch 1C 275

- 1901 Census - RG13-1847-185-33 - shows Walter living in Norwich (widower, born in Morley, aged 42, blacksmith) with a housekeeper Alice Copland and two of her children - RG13-277-92-50 - shows Frederick and Caroline Hunt living in Shoreditch with 2 visitors, Ada Peacock (b.1886, Beighton Caroline's daughter?) and Fanny Stevens (b.1882, Caroline's daughter?)

- 1909 - death of Ada Ellen Peacock - Civil Registration Southwark 1D 12

- 1911 Census - RG14-11295-225-2-6-333 - shows Walter (b.1858 Morley, blacksmith) and Caroline (b.1865 Shipdham) living in Norwich with son Edward James Copland (b.1898 Norwich) - married 30 years with 1 of 1 child living

- 1933 - death of Walter - Civil Registration Norwich 4B 254

So many of the facts contained in the above references point to all the persons mentioned being linked - if so then there must be some marriage irregularities!

I would be most grateful if anyone could have a look at this and see if I have missed anything of importance, mis-interpreted any of it or have just been plain stupid.

Thanks in anticipation.

Nigel Peacock
Peacock
Wilson
Harcourt/Hircock
Howling
Family in Norfolk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Peacock - Caroline Peacock
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 August 15 11:38 BST (UK) »
Just to confirm Caroline is only 7 in 1871 but marries in 1880?  What age is on the marriage - 15/16?

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 August 15 11:45 BST (UK) »
The 1 child in 1911 is interesting.  I can see why there is confusion because why would he have a different wife in between and then go back to the original.

Plus why has that child got a different surname.  His birth and death are under that name not Peacock.

I see him now in 1901 as a boarder.  Most confusing!  I wonder if Walter P was the father of him and his brother Walter from 1901 with Alice Copland being the mother.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 August 15 12:05 BST (UK) »
Fanny Sophia Peacock married Henry Ernest Stevens in 1899 Shoreditch district.

Her father Walter Peacock deceased Blacksmith.

One of the witnesses is Frederick Hunt. 
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Norfolk Nigel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 August 15 12:48 BST (UK) »
The marriage record gives Caroline's age as 17 and it was by licence, probably due to her tender years.
Peacock
Wilson
Harcourt/Hircock
Howling
Family in Norfolk

Offline Norfolk Nigel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 August 15 12:52 BST (UK) »
Also ...

The child, given as son, in the 1911 Census, has the same name as the housekeeper in the 1901 Census!  More impropriety?
Peacock
Wilson
Harcourt/Hircock
Howling
Family in Norfolk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 August 15 12:58 BST (UK) »
If I've read all of this correctly, you don't have Caroline and daughters Dora and Ada in 1891.

Think I've found Dora (transcribed as Para C. on Ancestry) living with an aunt and uncle in Norwich (Frederick and Sarah A. Barker).

Think the following might be Caroline with Ada in Islington, London:

Harry Houghton   27              born Norwich
Caroline Houghton 27               ditto
Ada E. Houghton 5                   ditto

There is no marriage between this couple, no birth for an Ada E Houghton and no further trace in census records for such a 'family' - so looking like Caroline left Walter and went off with this Harry (or Henry) Houghton to London taking youngest daughter Ada with her.   It seems to have been a shortlived relationship and we know that Caroline went through a marriage to Frederick Hunt in London in 1896.

What a tangled web - however, with all the anomalies I would say these are all the same people.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Norfolk Nigel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 August 15 19:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annette and Millipede. I am grateful for your thoughts and work on this.

The more I look at this I think that what I have so far, along with your input, leads me towards the idea that this is a picture of what went on but is one of those highly convoluted family issues which can de documented but not explained in a family or social context.

I can find no death record for Caroline but from her probable antics we may never know what name she might have been using.

If you have any further thoughts they will be appreciated but thanks for all your input so far.

Nigel
Peacock
Wilson
Harcourt/Hircock
Howling
Family in Norfolk

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 August 15 08:55 BST (UK) »
1901 Census Dora C Peacock age 16 still living with her aunt and uncle in Norwich Frederick William Barker and Sarah Ann nee Mendham married 1886. Caroline's sister?
Dora Caroline married Oscar Ernest Russell 15 August 1903 St George Colgate  Norwich.