Author Topic: Orphan mystery, please help!!!  (Read 14276 times)

Offline KitHannay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Orphan mystery, please help!!!
« on: Saturday 08 August 15 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've made other posts on here before about my great grandfather David Hanna who was an orphan in Nazareth Lodge in Northern Ireland, but I'm gonna try and reach out to Scotland. David was born in about 1905 but no birth cert can be found for him. I next find him in the 1911 Census aged six, with his birth place being recorded as Belfast city. I've contacted the orphanage and got very little back from them only that David was found wandering in February 1908 and placed in the orphanage. His parents are not recorded yet he is labeled as 'illegitimate' and Roman Catholic.

THEN at the bottom of the page the following is written : Mother's address 3.10.18 Rose Ann Hannah 104 Richard St, Anderston, Glasgow.

I assume that on that date in 1918, his mother attempted to contact him? Does anyone have any other thoughts? I've tried searching for her and can't find her anywhere. I don't know anything more about her other than that address. I'm wondering does anyone know any Scottish newspapers or anything that I could get in touch to leave a little ad or something in it to see if anyone knows of her? I really have no idea what else I can do. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks.
Hanna, Donoghue, Johnson, Williams, Glackin, Bradley, Fenlon, Carroll, McGinley, Haughey, Holmes, Cross

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Orphan mystery, please help!!!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 August 15 13:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Kit,

Have you tried to find Rose Ann on the 1911 Scottish census if she's not on the Irish  ???

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 August 15 13:13 BST (UK) »
Do you know if David had a different name before Rose Ann was in touch as she may have married by the time she got in touch  ???

Who was David brought up with later & where  ???

Annie

ADDED..........It's strange how she knew where to contact him  ???

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline KitHannay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 August 15 13:18 BST (UK) »
Well in the 1911 census he is recorded as 'David Hanna'. But then Rose's name is recorded as 'Hannah' - I don't know why they differ. I've tried to find her in the Scottish and Irish census'. There are a lot of Rose's in Ireland and as far as I can see, three in Scotland but none match with my Rose. I've searched for her death in Scotland to no avail either.

It is strange how she knew after ten years. I wonder why she tried to contact him. I just think that having an exact address should make it easier :/
Hanna, Donoghue, Johnson, Williams, Glackin, Bradley, Fenlon, Carroll, McGinley, Haughey, Holmes, Cross

Offline KitHannay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 August 15 13:21 BST (UK) »
In 1915 David was transferred to St Patrick's Industrial School and it's on that record that Rose's details are recorded. So she must have done a good bit of searching to find him after those ten years

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 August 15 13:30 BST (UK) »
Name variants are a common occurrence  ::)

The mystery is.......orphaned but they knew his name  ???

Maybe she got in touch out of guilt prior to moving to Glasgow but you would think they would have noted that or..........
maybe a family member or neighbour gave the orphanage details  ???

It would be good to be able to find out how they knew who he was  ::)

If his surname was changed to Hanna after she got in touch with the address  ???................... There is a marriage for a Rose Ann marrying a Hannah on SP in 1915 Glasgow but may be a "Red Herring"  ???

Annie

Offline KitHannay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 August 15 13:40 BST (UK) »
I've checked out that marriage. It's a Rose Ann Watson marrying a Robert Hannah. She's 37, him 50. It's difficult to read but her parents seem to be Robert Watson and Rose Ann Watson nee McCourt. Robert Hannah is a coal miner and Rose a farm servant.

I don't know. My David is recorded as David Hanna in 1911 and it seems that his mother didn't get in contact until 1918 so they must have known his name?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 August 15 13:49 BST (UK) »
There's a Rose Ann Hannah marrying in Glasgow 1923  ???

Annie

Offline KitHannay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 August 15 14:06 BST (UK) »
Oh yes, that is a Rose that I've tried looking into. That was her second marriage in 1923 to a man named John O'Reilly. Her first marriage was in 1897 (when she was 17) to a William Houghton, who was a private in the 84th Royal Artillery. They had two children - William and Catherine. William was born in England and Catherine in Scotland. I find them living in England in 1901 (sans her husband who I assume is doing army stuff) but I can't find them anywhere in 1911. I next find Rose in 1923, marrying John. She notes herself as a widower although I have been unable to find a death cert for William because it seemed a very popular name.

Rose died in 1932 of cardiac failure - which is actually interesting now that I think about it because my great uncle died in his forties of cardiac failure and my grandfather (who is in his 70's) has had trouble with his heart in the past few years.

I found her birth cert (she was illegitimate!). She was born to George Hannah and Catherine Kerr on September 15th, 1878, 15 Clyde Street, Glasgow. Her parents later married and had other children. I did some research on her parents. George's parents were Arthur Hannah (1831, Down, N. Ireland - 1888, Scotland) and Rosanna. Arthur's parents were George Hannah and Rosanna McCall, who would have lived their whole lives in N. Ireland I assume. So there is that Northern Ireland connection there. Catherine Kerr's parents were John Kerr and Rose Gorman (1831, Ireland).

What do you think? I would like to know more about William Houghton - maybe Rose had an affair whilst her husband was away? They did seem to move about a bit. I just thought that perhaps if William died in and around 1918 Rose took the opportunity to try and find her son? I know that's a lot of guessing with no facts but it's an idea.