Author Topic: Orphan mystery, please help!!!  (Read 14275 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Orphan mystery, please help!!!
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 08 August 15 16:13 BST (UK) »
Do you think this is the same Rose from the 1915 Valuation Roles? Her address in 1901 is 134 Stobcross Street, Anderston, Glasgow

I think looking for a marriage would be good or even her mother's death as she may have been the informant if you can't find a marriage.

Would be interesting to know where the name David derived from, not what I would say to be a common Irish name  :P

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 08 August 15 16:20 BST (UK) »
Just had a look back & don't really appreciate all our "DOUBLE TROUBLE"

PREVIOUS POSTS

Antrim
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=715832.msg5596064#msg5596064

Anderston
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=715810.msg5595216#msg5595216

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 08 August 15 16:51 BST (UK) »
That could be the same woman  :-\ Certainly Stobcross Street and Richard Street are in the same area.

I will PM you with some details as we are not supposed to post info from 1911 Census on the site.

Looby :)

Offline KitHannay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 08 August 15 16:52 BST (UK) »
That'd be great looby!
Hanna, Donoghue, Johnson, Williams, Glackin, Bradley, Fenlon, Carroll, McGinley, Haughey, Holmes, Cross

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 08 August 15 17:07 BST (UK) »
Posted all this on the other board....

William Houghton married Rose Ann Hannah on the 31/12/1895, St Saviours, Glasgow...he was a driver in the R.A. Her parents were George and Catherine Hannah nee Kerr.

Catherine Kerr Houghton, b 1/7/1900, 8 Ferguson Street, Glasgow, Parents William Houghton, driver R.A and Rose Ann Houghton nee Hannah is in the Army Regimental Indices for 1900 father in R.A.  I can't find a William Jr there.

Hope this is of some help.

Terry

ADDED - Forgot to say William was aged 22 and Rose 17 at the time of the 1895 wedding.
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 08 August 15 17:17 BST (UK) »
Births David McManus/MacManus

1904 – 1906  =  best area Glasgow or maybe Lanark if she went out of town  ???

13 Glasgow City
21 Lanark
1 Dunbarton
2 Renfrew
1 Ayr

Rest would probably be too remote

Annie

Offline KitHannay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 08 August 15 17:21 BST (UK) »
I'm keeping note of all this because I've run out of credits for SP and won't have money for a few days!! :( I'll check it all out then
Hanna, Donoghue, Johnson, Williams, Glackin, Bradley, Fenlon, Carroll, McGinley, Haughey, Holmes, Cross

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 08 August 15 17:30 BST (UK) »
Please bear in mind that the McManus family with Rose McManus could be a wild goose chase.
The Rose McManus of Stobcross Street may not be the Rose A McManus of 104 Richard Street who in turn may not be the Rose Ann Hannah of the Industrial School record.

I find it odd Kit that in 1908 David Hanna was admitted to an orphanage after being found wandering the streets and with parents unknown , but they manage to give him the same surname as a woman who contacts the Industrial School 10 years later.
Do you know what form of correspondence there was in 1918 from Rose Ann Hannah ? Was there a letter? Or is it just that David's mother's name and address is added to his notes at that time?

Looby

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 08 August 15 17:42 BST (UK) »
I find it odd Kit that in 1908 David Hanna was admitted to an orphanage after being found wandering the streets and with parents unknown , but they manage to give him the same surname as a woman who contacts the Industrial School 10 years later.

My very thoughts too Looby. Yes at 3 he would know his name but surname I'm not so sure?
How did they know where he was born  ???

It leaves a bit of a whole in the story but I'm still surprised that a boy found wandering the streets was not in the papers to entice reuniting him with his mother  ???..........not quite the same as a "Foundling" is it  ???

Annie