Author Topic: Orphan mystery, please help!!!  (Read 14300 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Orphan mystery, please help!!!
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 13 August 15 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Kit,
Rose A McManus married to John Kelly then John Hazleton fairly gets about Richard Street!

To be honest , it's been my experience with researching my own family and helping others on Rootschat , that sometimes families move about much more than we do nowadays- and often it's all within one street ! Exactly why, I obviously don't know but as they would all be tenants it would make sense if it was because their lease was up/ rent had been increased/ better accommodation became available.
So I think the Rose A McManus at 104/116/ 85 Richard Street is one and the same woman.
However so far we have not linked her to the name Hannah/Hanna ?
We just have the facts that her forename is Rose her middle initial is A (do we know if the A stands for Anne?) and that circa 1915 she lived at the address  written on David Hanna's notes circa 1918.

Do we know this Rose A McManus's mother's maiden name?  Just thinking that a family name may have been used to cover tracks :)

Splitting my post in 2. More to come.

Looby  :)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 13 August 15 13:27 BST (UK) »
Reading back over all the posts it occurred to me that :

Rose A McManus born Ireland is on the 1901 Census living at 134 Stobcross Street -her age is 29.
Rose A McManus widow of John Kelly marries John Hazleton in 1916 - her age 31
So in approx.15 years she has aged 2 years. Now people could be economical with the truth when it came to their ages (especially on remarriage) but that is a big difference.

RE- addresses and names.
If Rose McManus/ Kelly was widowed  there is a very good chance she would have reverted to her maiden name. Therefore if John Kelly was dead by the time  the 1915 Valuation Roll was taken she could have been calling herself McManus again.

It does seem vey odd though if Rose A was legally married in 1903 and was having children that she would be leaving a 3 year old boy in Belfast :-\ in 1908. 
Perhaps this lady is not your Rose Ann Hannah.

Looby :)

Offline maclennan25

• RootsChat Senior
  • ancestors always seem to be just out of reach.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 28 August 15 13:13 BST (UK) »
My twopence worth...

I decided to check Sp for a birth for David in case the orphanage were missinformed of his place of birth or possibly they guessed where he was born. (I have not used any credits to check these records.)
Sp have 10 David Hannahs born between 1903-1907. 4 of these were in Glasgow city, and 1 of those in Glasgow city in 1905.
Sp have 6 death records for a Rose Ann Hannah between 1918 (assuming she was alive and contacted the orphanage then) and 2014. But I also added a birth date of 1880+/-10years. I'm guessing that she was between the ages of 15&25 when David was born though...

Did anyone manage to check Irish newspapers?

Kind regards,
maclennan25

Offline maclennan25

• RootsChat Senior
  • ancestors always seem to be just out of reach.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 28 August 15 14:16 BST (UK) »
I found a pic of the orphanage (Nazareth Lodge) c1900.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc152/lmmcm8/img025-1.jpg

I also found a forum recalling memories from the orphanage where someone says that a child was left there in the 1930s for fear of being arrested for being a single mum. They went back a few years later after getting married and the child had been adopted.
http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,10967.0.html

maybe this could be a reason as to why 2 young boys have a similar story of being left in the street nearby although many years earlier...?

On a similar note (Scotland though, not Ireland). I helped track a family where the son had been placed in care in Glasgow in 1920s. After researching records, we discovered that the boy had been given up because his mother was single and she was a housekeeper for her own brother. She had become pregnant again and her brother told her she wold not be allowed to stay with him if she had more than one child. Sadly, her baby later died and although there is also a possibility she went back to collect her son, he had been 'farmed out'. A coachload of boys and girls were taken North (in this case, the North Highlands) and placed into the care of crofting families. The families/crofters were paid an allowance weekly/monthly to look after the children and were sent a clothes package annually for them and in return I guess the children helped out on the crofts.

Sorry to ramble on as I know it probably isn't relevant, but some of it may explain circumstances and the possibility the surname and mother may have been known...

Offline KitHannay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Trying to find my orphaned g-grandas fam
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 02:18 BST (UK) »
Hey all,

I've posted on here before about my orphaned great granda David Hanna, but I've recently got the DNA results of his son (my granda). i can almost certainly confirm that David's mother was Rose Ann Hannah, born in 1873 in Glasgow. She married a William Houghton in 1895 and had two children by him - William in England in 1899 and Catherine in Scotland in 1900. William Snr was a driver in the 84th Royal Artillery. I have no service number for him though so does anyone have any idea how I can find out more about him?

I find Rose with the two kids in the 1901 Scottish census. Husband is still alive but not with her. They go completely off the map then. My great granda David was born in about 1905 and found wandering in 1908 in Belfast and placed in an orphanage. I have no idea what happened - Why Rose was in Belfast or anything. I know that she's back in Glasgow by 1918 because she contacts the orphanage and leaves her address with them. She then marries a second time in 1923 to John OReilly. I have no idea how to proceed now. How do I find her first two kids? Why were they in Ireland? When did William Snr die?

I thought maybe I should try find relatives of Rose's. So I know she has a niece called Catherine Kerr Hannah born in Glasgow in 1926 and a nephew Henry Wilson Hannah born in 1928. Does anyone know how I can find these?
Hanna, Donoghue, Johnson, Williams, Glackin, Bradley, Fenlon, Carroll, McGinley, Haughey, Holmes, Cross

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Orphan no more through DNA results??
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 04:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Kit

If William snr was a soldier perhaps he was posted to Ireland?

Giggsy

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 08:08 BST (UK) »
Confused as to how DNA has proved a link to Rose Ann when you don't appear to have contact with any of her relatives in order to make a match.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline KitHannay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 09:42 BST (UK) »
I have had contact with relatives. Rose's sister Catherine has a lot of descendants who have done DNA testing and my grandad and myself have matched with them. But they are in Canada and know nothing about Rose unfortunately
Hanna, Donoghue, Johnson, Williams, Glackin, Bradley, Fenlon, Carroll, McGinley, Haughey, Holmes, Cross