Author Topic: Orphan mystery, please help!!!  (Read 14295 times)

Offline KitHannay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Orphan mystery, please help!!!
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 August 15 14:24 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Rose Ann married her first husband in 1895 when she was 17, not in 1897. Her son was born in 1899 and her daughter in 1900.

Also, on her second marriage she seems to have lied about her age, recording herself as 41 when in reality she was 45. Her new husband was 40.
Hanna, Donoghue, Johnson, Williams, Glackin, Bradley, Fenlon, Carroll, McGinley, Haughey, Holmes, Cross

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 August 15 14:56 BST (UK) »
That was her second marriage in 1923 to a man named John O'Reilly. Her first marriage was in 1897 (when she was 17) to a William Houghton, who was a private in the 84th Royal Artillery. They had two children - William and Catherine. William was born in England and Catherine in Scotland. I find them living in England in 1901 (sans her husband who I assume is doing army stuff) but I can't find them anywhere in 1911. I next find Rose in 1923, marrying John. She notes herself as a widower.

Rose died in 1932
I found her birth cert (she was illegitimate!). She was born to George Hannah and Catherine Kerr on September 15th, 1878, 15 Clyde Street, Glasgow. Her parents later married and had other children. I did some research on her parents. George's parents were Arthur Hannah (1831, Down, N. Ireland - 1888, Scotland) and Rosanna. Arthur's parents were George Hannah and Rosanna McCall, who would have lived their whole lives in N. Ireland I assume. So there is that Northern Ireland connection there. Catherine Kerr's parents were John Kerr and Rose Gorman (1831, Ireland).

What do you think? I would like to know more about William Houghton - maybe Rose had an affair whilst her husband was away? They did seem to move about a bit. I just thought that perhaps if William died in and around 1918 Rose took the opportunity to try and find her son? I know that's a lot of guessing with no facts but it's an idea.

I have those certs. on my comp & only just noticed  ::)

Mmm, I think William would have had to be away for an age for her to have David...... a 3 yr old "found wandering"  so maybe William died prior to 1905 but why keep the other 2 kids??? so on they grounds I would say wrong Rose Ann but that's only my own opinion until you can find out otherwise  ???

When were William & Catherine born & what was their demise, if known  ???

Is it possible to try & get some info. re Williams Army life as you know the Battalion  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline KitHannay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 August 15 15:15 BST (UK) »
When checking soldier's wills on Scotlands people - in which section do I put '84th artillery'? Is it regiment or battalion?

I think finding a death cert for him is very important.

I literally lose all trace of William Jr and Catherine after 1901 :/
Hanna, Donoghue, Johnson, Williams, Glackin, Bradley, Fenlon, Carroll, McGinley, Haughey, Holmes, Cross

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 August 15 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Kit,

I seem to recall you posting about David Hanna before.
And I contributed to your last hunt  ;D as did ammack.

Did you rule out the Rose A McManus who is living as a tenant at 104 Richard Street on 1915 Valuation Roles? I felt last time she was worth investigating.

Looby :)

Offline KitHannay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 August 15 15:43 BST (UK) »
Yes, I've checked her out and the only one I can find is a Mrs Rose Ann Hannah living at House 23 Marlow St, Glasgow. Is that the one you're seeing?

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 08 August 15 15:57 BST (UK) »
Yes, I've checked her out and the only one I can find is a Mrs Rose Ann Hannah living at House 23 Marlow St, Glasgow. Is that the one you're seeing?

No I haven't found that woman.

I am looking on Scotlands People at the 1915 Valuation Rolls -
Valuation Rolls were records of property/land, the name of property owner, names of tenants at the property and how much rent was being collected annually.

104 Richard Street would have been a tenement building.
Rose A McManus was a tenant at that address on the 1915 Roll (taken around August I believe) - most of the tenants on the page are male. That would lead me to believe that Rose was on her own (maybe with children) , single or  perhaps widowed?  There is nothing to indicate marital status.

Looby

Offline Midlad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 08 August 15 16:05 BST (UK) »

I have just been reading this post and felt it was familiar then I did a search and yes there was a

similar post for this person earlier this year.

midlad

Offline KitHannay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 08 August 15 16:07 BST (UK) »
Oh, I've taken a look at your Rose. You're right, she seems to be the only woman in the building! It doesn't give any other info however. I did find a Rose A McManus living in the Anderston area in the 1901 census with her family. Her mother Mary is a widow by 1901. Interestingly, Rose was born in Ireland. She has a brother Hugh and sister Mary. She worked as a shirt machinist and in 1901 she was 29. Do you think this is the same Rose from the 1915 Valuation Roles? Her address in 1901 is 134 Stobcross Street, Anderston, Glasgow

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 08 August 15 16:08 BST (UK) »
When checking soldier's wills on Scotlands people - in which section do I put '84th artillery'? Is it regiment or battalion?

I think finding a death cert for him is very important.

I literally lose all trace of William Jr and Catherine after 1901 :/

Hi Looby,

Thought the name familiar  ::)

Kit,

I think for Scottish deaths (if I remember, it comes up on the Index after you have paid the creds, 23p) but I can't recall the term but it won't be by Battalion or Regiment.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"