Author Topic: Johnson family of Westminster  (Read 2208 times)

Offline Historycat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Johnson family of Westminster
« on: Saturday 08 August 15 17:11 BST (UK) »
Rereading an ancestors will yesterday I noticed that she mentioned her nieces, the daughters of her deceased brother Harry and a couple of nephews, I have not got any record of them so I tried to find them and have hit a brickwall!  The details are as follows:
Will of Elizabeth Jane Johnson (1806 St Margaret Westminster- 1879 Hammersmith)  I have both the will and the death certificate informant of death C Western sister. (this is Caroline, married to George Western)
named beneficiaries that I cannot find:
Sophia Edith, Ellen Constance and Charlotte Anna daughters of deceased brother Harry
nephews George and Alfred, no mention of parents, maybe they are Harry's sons?

Elizabeth's parents were John Johnson (1774-1850) military plume manufacturer.  His will is available on Ancestry's PCC will collection.  Mother was Elizabeth (abt 1776-1835)

I have found the baptism of  a Henry Johnson in 1804, and there is a death of a Henry Johnson in 1817.  John and Elizabeth had at least 10 children, I have accounted for all but 3: Henry, John and Edward, all mentioned in John's will.

Searching yesterday I found a Sophia Edith marrying a Robert Balls Watts in 1889, born 1865 St Margaret Westminster.  Tracing her back I find her with a sister Helen Constance b. 1866, however their father appears to be Alfred.  Sophia and Helen are both born in Waterloo Liverpool. Alfred in turn seems to be the son of Joseph Field Johnson.  Joseph Field Johnson is a cap manufacturer, he dies intestate in 1847. (Administration on Ancestry) 

So I would be grateful if anyone has any pointers for me!  Many thanks
Malim (any) Wilde, Mase/Mace Bagshaw (Norwich/Norfolk), Almond (London, Staffs, S America, Thanet) Hart, Sharp/e Lincs, Smith (London) Ware (London) Blower (Hants Essex) Webb, Holmes (Suffolk Essex) Warcup (London, W Indies) Hallam (Leics) Johnson and Noon Derbyshire

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Johnson family of Westminster
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 August 15 17:38 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this will be of any help but.....

1871 RG10; Piece: 60; Folio: 20; Page: 32

shows Edith Sop’a age 6 & Helen Con age 5 to be step daughters, both born Liverpool

Alfred Johnson  29 Westminster Bankers clerk
Matilda A 30
Maud A(ada) daughter 1 1/2  mths Hammersmith
Isabella 21 servant

There’s this marriage entry
Sep 1870 Kensington
Alfred Johnson name on same page Matilda Ann Johnson
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 August 15 18:04 BST (UK) »
there is this marriage
23 April 1864 St Mary Lambeth
Harry Johnson full age Bachelor Mercentile Clerk Lambeth father Henry Johnson (deceased) Servant Butler
Matilda Ann Hudson full age St Johns Westminster father Benjamin james Hudson occ Merchant
witnesses John Nicholls -other witness difficult to read -could be Julia ???? or Joseph???

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 August 15 18:23 BST (UK) »
Are perhaps Edith Sophia/ Ellen Constance the Great neices of Elizabeth -their father Harry being her nephew and their Grandfather Henry(or Harry?) being Elizabeh's brother?

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 August 15 18:24 BST (UK) »
A birth certificate of one of the girls would confirm mmn

1881 census RG11; Piece: 69; Folio: 57; Page: 15
says daughter for Helen C

Alfred Johnson widow 39 Westminster book keeper  Stock broker
Helen C 15 Waterloo
Charlotte A 14 Waterloo
Maud A 10 Hammersmith
Alfred H 7 West Brompton
Herbert G 6 Fulham
Mabel G 4 Fulham
Isabella Masker houskeeper 31
Kate L Yandall servant 16

Waterloo Liverpool is in the registration district of West Derby

Dec 1865 W Derby  8b 468
Johnson Helen Constance

Mar 1867 W. Derby 8b 485
Johnson Charlotte Annie

ADDED

son Herbert's middle name is George

Jun 1875 Fulham   1a   245
JOHNSON Herbert George   

Offline Historycat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 August 15 18:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies, given me plenty to look at.  I had thought that maybe the relationship was that of extended family ie great niece or nephew.  My feeling is that these are right and I will order the birth certificate.  I also will order the wills of other members of the family to see if there is a mention of them in those. 
many thanks
Malim (any) Wilde, Mase/Mace Bagshaw (Norwich/Norfolk), Almond (London, Staffs, S America, Thanet) Hart, Sharp/e Lincs, Smith (London) Ware (London) Blower (Hants Essex) Webb, Holmes (Suffolk Essex) Warcup (London, W Indies) Hallam (Leics) Johnson and Noon Derbyshire

Offline lentinker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 July 18 22:10 BST (UK) »
Just found your message about John Johnson born 1774-1850 and his wife Elizabeth Clarkson. My great great grandfather was Edward Johnson whose parents were John and Elizabeth Johnson. I know the names of 8 brothers and sisters, George Raymond, Elizabeth Jane, Henry, John Frederick Hornby, Sophia, Caroline Western ( Johnson ) Mary Ann William James, who passed away whilst still a baby and Edward. Would love to know more about the family as my knowledge is quite limited.

Offline Historycat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 July 18 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Lentinker, lovely to hear from you!  I have done a reasonable amount of research on the Johnson family, and it would be great to collaborate.  I am descended from Sophia, who married William Almond.  I will send you a pm with my email address.
Harriet (aka Historycat!)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 July 18 09:15 BST (UK) »
lentinker will not be able to reply to your personal message until the post count increases.

You will get an error message 'inbox full' for the same reason

The guidelines say 3 posts but it has been reduced to 2

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea