Author Topic: Hogg/Bryson  (Read 15621 times)

Offline Chris_Hogg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hogg/Bryson
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 09 August 15 16:27 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, I know very little about Jean, Ann and Catherine. I have only the years they were born.
  I don't know what Williams occupation was.
  There are so many William Hogg's. I do feel that the correct parents are William Hogg and Catherine Bryson because "Bryson" appears as a middle name for a couple of children on down the line.
  1822/1826 Williams headstone says he was born in Edinburg. It also says he died at age 66 and three months in November 1892.
  His wife was Margaret Minto Thompson. Her Headstone shows she was born in September of 1836 in Scotland and died in Kansas USA in 1912. Her parents were Gavin Thomson and Jane Minto.
  I've not been able to find any passenger information for William Hogg but we know he married Margaret in Perth Ontario Canada in the year 1858.
  I've been trying to solve this mystery for years and I've gotten pretty frustrated with it.

Hi Chris ,

The reason we are asking about William Hogg born circa 1822/1826 is to try and find him in Scotland before he travels across the Atlantic then there is a good chance we could link him to his parents and work backwards from there  :)

I have found a William and Catharine Hogg at Leith on the 1841 re- reply 8. But we have no way yet of knowing if these are young William's parents. Equally investigating William's sisters and finding them can give clues and lead the way backwards.

Do you know what your William's occupation was? That could help us in the search.
Do you know the full names of all his offspring?  Again names including middle names can give us clues to family origins.

Looby :)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 09 August 15 17:06 BST (UK) »
There I was, getting excited because my great-grandparents were James Bryson and Anne Hogg :(

Chris: Do not believe anything you find in any online family tree on Ancestry or MyHeritage or any of these web sites. There are some excellent and well researched trees out there, but there are also some frankly rubbish ones, and at first sight it can be hard to know which are which.

Use the information in online trees as a pointer to find the original documents that are the building blocks of an accurate tree.

Oh, and don't trust anyone else's transcriptions, including mine. Always go for the original so that any mistakes are yours and yours alone.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 09 August 15 17:09 BST (UK) »
  1822/1826 Williams headstone says he was born in Edinburg. It also says he died at age 66 and three months in November 1892.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the ages - people frequently either didn't know their exact age, or chose to give it differently. William gives his age as 30 when he marries in 1858 - which would put his birth year at 1828 - but gives his age as 47 in the 1870 census, making his birth year around 1823...

I've been trying to track down William's siblings - so far, only have a semblance of luck with Catherine, who appears to marry a John Thompson in North Leith in 1841. Got quite excited at this point, wondering if this was the same family as Margaret Minto Thompson, but she's the youngest, born 1836 - so if John was her brother, he'd be unlikely to be getting married in 1841...  ;D

The census records for Edinburgh and Leith - and indeed for most of the Lothians - are a bit confusing around 1841 and 1851, as there were some district name changes - so I'm having trouble tracking down John Thompson and Catherine Hogg after they married. They do appear to have had a son, William, in 1843, who married Agnes Lawson in Auchterderran, Fife in 1865 - on the marriage cert, father John Thompson is deceased by this time - his occupation is down as gardener. One of the witnesses is a John Thompson - who could be a brother of William...

Not having much luck with the other Hogg siblings - thought I may have found Jean/Jane in Uphall, West Lothian in 1851, with father William and two seemingly illegitimate children  :o But I can't track that census entry down on FreeCen yet to see whether their transcription matches Ancestry's...

Onwards and upwards...

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 09 August 15 18:11 BST (UK) »
There is a couple on the 1841 Census at Spenses Place, Leith South

William Hogg   age 50   Joiner Journeyman     born outside Census County
Catharine Hogg  age 45                                 born outside Census County

according to this Census these people were not Midlothian born.

I wonder if the Hoggs were form further south........... I think Selkirk or Dumfries was a settlement area although my Hogg 3 x g g/father c1811 & his 2 sons were born Fetteresso, Kincardine although I believe his family probably moved there  ??? I haven't got his death cert. either, he died in England pre 1851 so no point there as it won't reveal his father even. Married 1834 so again no parentage to follow  ::)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 09 August 15 18:59 BST (UK) »
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 09 August 15 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Ruthhelen mentions Catherine Hogg, William's sister and John Thompson marrying.
I believe Catherine is widowed by 1851 and living in Stonehouse, Lanarkshire (oddly not that far from Margaret Minto Thomson's origins) -
New Street Stonehouse-
THOMSON   Cathrine   Head   W    30   Pauper, Muslin Sewer, Flowerer    Midlothian - Leith North       
THOMSON   Thomas   Son      10   Scholar    Lanarkshire - Stonehouse       
THOMSON   William   Son      8   Scholar    Midlothian - Ratho       
THOMSON   John   Son     6   Scholar    Ross and Cromarty - Dingwall       
THOMSON   Cathrine   Dau    4       Ross and Cromarty - Dingwall       
THOMSON   Andrew   Son    2       Ross and Cromarty - Dingwall

I found births for John Thomson and Catherine Thomson at Dingwall to parents John Thomson and Catherine Hogg on Familysearch.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 09 August 15 19:17 BST (UK) »
I believe Catherine is widowed by 1851 and living in Stonehouse, Lanarkshire

Beat me to it Looby  ;D

Busy lady, our Catherine Hogg - she then goes on to remarry to one John Price on 29 May 1852, Stonehouse, Lanarkshire. They appear in the 1861 census in Dalserf, Lanarkshire along with two of Catherine's children, Catherine and Andrew...  ;)

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline Chris_Hogg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 09 August 15 23:35 BST (UK) »
Are we sure this is the same Catherine Hogg? Is there any information on her parents, particularly her father?

I believe Catherine is widowed by 1851 and living in Stonehouse, Lanarkshire

Beat me to it Looby  ;D

Busy lady, our Catherine Hogg - she then goes on to remarry to one John Price on 29 May 1852, Stonehouse, Lanarkshire. They appear in the 1861 census in Dalserf, Lanarkshire along with two of Catherine's children, Catherine and Andrew...  ;)

Ruth

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 09 August 15 23:42 BST (UK) »
Are we sure this is the same Catherine Hogg? Is there any information on her parents, particularly her father?

Yes, I'm pretty confident this is the same Catherine Hogg. She died as Catherine Hogg Price, aged 51, on 6 Mar 1872 in Dalserf, Lanarkshire. Her death was registered by her son, Thomas Thomson (who was by then living in Dalserf with his wife and family), and gives her father as William Hogg, mother Catherine Hogg (ms Bryson).

Ruth