Author Topic: Hogg/Bryson  (Read 15620 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Hogg/Bryson
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 02:10 BST (UK) »
Looby.............you have a point with "Language"........clever cloggs  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 02:18 BST (UK) »
Looby.............you have a point with "Language"........clever cloggs  ;D

Annie

;D ;D  Clever Clogs at this time of the night as well !!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 02:25 BST (UK) »
I'm more interested in the person the "Cloggs" belong to in the "Hogg's" family.........& the "connection" with the "Shepherd"..................

Still waiting to hear the facts on this document  ???  ::)

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Hogg/Bryson Help please.
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 11:20 BST (UK) »
I have Hoggs in my own tree so thought I would give you some variants I've encountered on census & other sources.......
Hagg, Hogge, Ogg, Og

Need to be a wee bit careful with these variants. G F Black's The Surnames of Scotland says

"Hogg, Hogge. This surname is usually explained as a nickname derived from the name of the animal .... there are other undoubted instances pointing to different origins .... The spelling .... Hoga .... certainly points to O[ld] E[nglish hoga 'careful', 'prudent', as origin of the name at least in this instance .... Hogge 1656, Hogh 1496, Hoig 1515, Hoige 1526, Hogis 1519, Howg 1686". (I am sure that I have also read somewhere that it is from the Norse given name 'Haug' but Black says nothing about that.)

"Ogg, Oag. Both these names are from the Gaelic adjective og, "young" .... Oage 1688."

In other words, these names are not necessarily interchangeable.

Maybe William was a Gaelic-speaking Ogg from the Highlands, and when he moved to the Lowlands got recorded as Hogg because that surname is commonest in the Borders and Lowlands.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 11:33 BST (UK) »
I've seen a couple of trees on Ancestry saying Catherine Bryson was born in Monteith/Menteith, Perthshire
William Hogg, wright, Blair(?) St, Edin, and Catharine Bryson, No. 20 St John Street, Canongate, daughter of the late Peter Bryson, labourer, parish of Tranent, gave up their names for marriage
I am sorry if I am beginning to sound like a cracked record, but this is a classic case of how much time, effort and frustration would have been saved if everyone had gone straight for the marriage on SP instead of giving credence to all the potential garbage on A*****y.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 12:05 BST (UK) »
thought I would give you some variants I've encountered on census & other sources.......
Hagg, Hogge, Ogg, Og

Need to be a wee bit careful with these variants. G F Black's The Surnames of Scotland says

"Hogg, Hogge. This surname is usually explained as a nickname derived from the name of the animal .... there are other undoubted instances pointing to different origins .... The spelling .... Hoga .... certainly points to O[ld] E[nglish hoga 'careful', 'prudent', as origin of the name at least in this instance .... Hogge 1656, Hogh 1496, Hoig 1515, Hoige 1526, Hogis 1519, Howg 1686". (I am sure that I have also read somewhere that it is from the Norse given name 'Haug' but Black says nothing about that.)

"Ogg, Oag. Both these names are from the Gaelic adjective og, "young" .... Oage 1688."

In other words, these names are not necessarily interchangeable.

Maybe William was a Gaelic-speaking Ogg from the Highlands, and when he moved to the Lowlands got recorded as Hogg because that surname is commonest in the Borders and Lowlands.

Forfarian,

I did not say the names were "interchangeable"...........merely "variants" although I should possibly have used the word "variations" regarding the spellings found on transcriptions  ::)

Annie

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 12:23 BST (UK) »
I did not say the names were "interchangeable"...........merely "variants"

Neither did I, but the assumption I make is that a 'variant' or 'variation' is basically the same name with a different spelling, whereas with Hogg/Ogg there are in fact two entirely distinct names with totally different origins that just happen occasionally to be spelled the same if someone leaves the H off the beginning or adds a spurious H before the O.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 12:51 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, I will never know whether I am descended from Oggs or Hoggs as the records don't go back far enough  ::)

My ancestor was b Fetteresso but still doesn't define anything so I can only go by my documents & mis-transcriptions  :-\

Annie

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 13:42 BST (UK) »
I've seen a couple of trees on Ancestry saying Catherine Bryson was born in Monteith/Menteith, Perthshire
William Hogg, wright, Blair(?) St, Edin, and Catharine Bryson, No. 20 St John Street, Canongate, daughter of the late Peter Bryson, labourer, parish of Tranent, gave up their names for marriage
I am sorry if I am beginning to sound like a cracked record, but this is a classic case of how much time, effort and frustration would have been saved if everyone had gone straight for the marriage on SP instead of giving credence to all the potential garbage on A*****y.

Maybe everyone can't afford to go straight to the marriage on SP Forfarian   :-\

I certainly can't  :)  I do use my own credits occasionally to help fellow Rootschatters, but only when I feel I can. Otherwise I'd be in the poorhouse.
In my opinion, it's up to the OP to check out (and fork out) for the original record just as you, and indeed, I advised earlier on the thread and I believe Ruthhelen in reply 32 eventually used her credits to verify it.

Like you , I never give credence to others' trees on A******y  :o  garbage or otherwise ;D In fact I don't have a subscription to A******y or any other subscription site. But I do use research sites like Familysearch, Freecen, Freebmd and other local history records sites  which are handy free tools. For my own research, I then verify my finds on SP.
I do enjoy helping people and making suggestions on Rootschat but when it comes to Scotlands People I can't afford to look at everyones record.  :)

Looby :)