Author Topic: Hogg/Bryson  (Read 15606 times)

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hogg/Bryson Help please.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 August 15 11:02 BST (UK) »
I have no information on the girls but I know that William Hogg born 2 February 1826, married Margaret Minto Thomson 22 January 1858 in Perth Ontario Canada.

William Hogg and Catherine Bryson's son, William Hogg was born 2 Feb 1822 and baptised in North Leith, Midlothian (as were his sisters, Catherine, Ann and Jean). There are lots of trees on Ancestry that have this William Hogg born on 2 Feb 1826, but I think this must be an error.

There were two William Hoggs baptised in Edinburgh in 1826 - William Hogg, son of George Hogg and Ann Davidson, on 11 Jun 1826; and William John Hogg, son of John Hogg and Janet Fraser, on 23 Dec 1826.

Haven't had any joy finding the rest of the family though - they do appear a bit elusive - and there are a lot of Hoggs in the Edinburgh area. On Catherine and William's marriage record, her father is given as Peter Bryson. There was a Catherine Bryson born to Peter Bryson and Jean Notman on 24 Jan 1784, baptised in Tranent, East Lothian on 22 Feb 1784 who may fit the bill.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 August 15 11:11 BST (UK) »
I did find a form that said that 1826 Williams parents were born in Scotland and spoke "Upper Gaelic." I do not know what that means. It gave no mention of birth dates or who their parents were.

The marriage record for William Hogg and Margaret Thompson gives William's parents as father: William and mother: Catharine Bryson.

Interestingly, there are also a couple of trees on Ancestry that have Catherine Bryson dying in 1884 - aged 100 - but a cursory search of Scotland's people doesn't bring up a death record to support that in Midlothian, but I haven't looked further afield  :o
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Hogg/Bryson
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 August 15 11:14 BST (UK) »
Scotlandspeople have a FREE WILL INDEX  to search but would cost credits to download if you were to find anything.

Does anyone know the occupation of William  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 August 15 11:19 BST (UK) »
I'm getting confused with threads.com

I have Hoggs in my own tree so thought I would give you some variants I've encountered on census & other sources.......

Hagg, Hogge, Ogg, Og

Annie

Moderator comment , duplicate topics merged.

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 August 15 11:20 BST (UK) »
Another post from ruthhelen on other thread

The marriage record for William Hogg and Margaret Thompson gives William's parents as father: William and mother: Catharine Bryson.

Interestingly, there are also a couple of trees on Ancestry that have Catherine Bryson dying in 1884 - aged 100 - but a cursory search of Scotland's people doesn't bring up a death record to support that in Midlothian, but I haven't looked further afield  :o

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 August 15 13:30 BST (UK) »
spoke "Upper Gaelic." I do not know what that means.

I have just asked some "Gaelic" speakers what that term may have meant & here is one of the replies............

"My Gaelic tutor used to speak of Higher Register Gaelic which really meant using more complex, ambitious vocabulary and structures"

So, very good & educated Gaelic  ;D

Annie

Offline Chris_Hogg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 09 August 15 14:50 BST (UK) »
I haven't found any record of William Hogg's birth. I based his birthdate off of his headstone. His headstone says that he died November 2, 1892 at age 66.
  I am looking for the parents and any information pertaining to the William Hogg who was married to Catherine Bryson.

I have no information on the girls but I know that William Hogg born 2 February 1826, married Margaret Minto Thomson 22 January 1858 in Perth Ontario Canada.

William Hogg and Catherine Bryson's son, William Hogg was born 2 Feb 1822 and baptised in North Leith, Midlothian (as were his sisters, Catherine, Ann and Jean). There are lots of trees on Ancestry that have this William Hogg born on 2 Feb 1826, but I think this must be an error.

There were two William Hoggs baptised in Edinburgh in 1826 - William Hogg, son of George Hogg and Ann Davidson, on 11 Jun 1826; and William John Hogg, son of John Hogg and Janet Fraser, on 23 Dec 1826.

Haven't had any joy finding the rest of the family though - they do appear a bit elusive - and there are a lot of Hoggs in the Edinburgh area. On Catherine and William's marriage record, her father is given as Peter Bryson. There was a Catherine Bryson born to Peter Bryson and Jean Notman on 24 Jan 1784, baptised in Tranent, East Lothian on 22 Feb 1784 who may fit the bill.

Ruth

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 09 August 15 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris ,

The reason we are asking about William Hogg born circa 1822/1826 is to try and find him in Scotland before he travels across the Atlantic then there is a good chance we could link him to his parents and work backwards from there  :)

I have found a William and Catharine Hogg at Leith on the 1841 re- reply 8. But we have no way yet of knowing if these are young William's parents. Equally investigating William's sisters and finding them can give clues and lead the way backwards.

Do you know what your William's occupation was? That could help us in the search.
Do you know the full names of all his offspring?  Again names including middle names can give us clues to family origins.

Looby :)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 09 August 15 15:47 BST (UK) »
Re- William Hogg's birthday - this link supports ruthhelen's post which gives William's d.o.b. as 2nd February 1822.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTRR-JLK