Author Topic: John Casey  (Read 6308 times)

Offline mazbonks

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Casey
« on: Sunday 09 August 15 15:13 BST (UK) »
A long shot I'm sure but someone may be looking for him!  I have just transcribed a letter from the Alexeevsky Mental Hospital in Poctrayni (Russia?) to Dublin Castle dated 18th Feb 1916 regarding a John Casey.  John is described as being age 32, an unmarried 'Domestic Teacher/Tutor' born in County Mayo Ireland and suffering from 'the Early stages of Brain Weakening'.  He was taken to the hospital by the Chaplain of the English Church and they had no record of any family to support him.  There must be an amazing story here for someone's family tree!

Offline Galway-Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Casey
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 May 18 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hiya...I am in search of a John Casey born Abt 1900-1910? very possibly from ireland and even mayo.i did a DNA test and it came back nearly 80% irish and region in ireland Connacht..or if i can try and help you find who your John Casey belonged to  :) 

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 May 18 17:02 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat
Have you got any more information on the John Casey you are looking for Galway Girl, if you know who he married  or have his parent's names his birth and marriage (if in Ireland) certs is probably on line on IrishGenelogy.
John Casey is too common a name to search for without more information.

Offline Galway-Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 May 18 09:51 BST (UK) »
The only other info i have is he had a son called James Peter Terence Casey born abt 1929..john Bernard was a Coal Miner in the 1950's and retired by 1969.me and mum have both taken DNA tests to try help find our mystery caseys

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 May 18 10:28 BST (UK) »
The only other info i have is he had a son called James Peter Terence Casey born abt 1929..john Bernard was a Coal Miner in the 1950's and retired by 1969.me and mum have both taken DNA tests to try help find our mystery caseys

Where were these people living?
Is John Bernard the John Casey you say was born 1900-1910?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Galway-Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 May 18 12:46 BST (UK) »
Yes the John is John Bernard casey is james father who is named on James P T Caseys marriage cert to my Grandmother in 1955 in London uk..
it says He was a coal miner,also on James 2nd marriage in Preston Lancashire in 1969 it says coal miner retired john bernard casey..based on the 2 marriage certs for James P T Casey he was born about 1929..he is named on my mums birth cert 1956 and her brothers in 1957.there are 3-4 electorals on ancestry and that is it...i have spent over 13 years searching and my mum has been trying to find one single person or casey she is related to for over 40 years! DNA was/is our last hope..all mums Maternal line that i have found are from in and around london going back a long way.mum has a lot of matches on Ancestry which i than uploaded to Gedmatch and FTDNA and MyHeritage..i dont understand how to build mirror trees. at lost dot com and abouts to throw the towel in Lol x thanks for reading and Replying

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 May 18 13:56 BST (UK) »
First I wouldn't put too much store in the DNA linking to Connacht, Ancestry only lists Ulster, Munster and Connacht as regions in Ireland because that is where most of the emigrants came from and their decedents are the main (Irish) people doing DNA tests, they also give me as Connacht and my lot are Leinster for centuries but Ancestry has no DNA data base for Leinster so doesn't even list it.
Doesn't mean your family aren't from Connacht just don't be surprised if it turns out they were not.

Do you know where James P T Casey was born? Ireland or the UK?

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 May 18 14:05 BST (UK) »
Were your grandparents married in a church? especially a Catholic Church?
If James was born and baptised in a different parish he would require a letter of freedom.
This comes from his original parish and often includes more information than a civil record e.g. the mother's maiden name.
If not already done so I would contact the church for more information if relevant

There is a father and son in Seaton Valley Northumberland on the 1939 register that I wonder have you looked at.  John Casey was born Nov 01 1877 and James Casey Jan 06 1929.
John Casey is shown as a "Colliery Shifter Below"
A James Casey with this date of birth died in 1989
Civil Ref: Lambeth, Greater London Sep 1989 aged 60; Volume 14 Page 347

Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Galway-Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 May 18 16:02 BST (UK) »
Sorry meant to say regarding the DNA mums came back 45% irish welsh/scottish with her community in Ulster which is a long way away from all her maternal line so i was hopin to start there but it is nearly impossible as it is such a common name..

When james married my grandmother it was in a Registry office  :( and his 2nd marriage was also a registry office...
The 2nd marriage in preston in 1969..it took me years to track down his wife to discover Elizabeth had passed away in 2010.i ordered a copy of her death cert which said wasnt married but i am 100% it is the same woman.her sister was informant on the DC so i found her daughter or granddaughter and messaged giving the details i had and she said Yes that all sounds correct But once i sent a copy of the marriage cert to her she said sorry i didnt know my sister was ever married i cant help,goodbye

i waited a few weeks months to let the dust settle and contacted her again as my intention is Not to Upset Anybody!! i asked her if she remembered james casey being a friend of Elizabeth's and she said she did not know the name but that elizabeth used to go out and visit regularly with a man named Jimmy!!
I asked her if she could remember was he irish or from london or even australia? she said she couldnt remember and that he had died years ago and sorry goodbye.....that was the end of that...i than decided as Preston Lancashire was 100% the last place he was in 1969 and i have the address.i decided to contact the local newspaper there which i did and they ran my story appeal..not 1 word back ever....i also contacted the salvation army a few years ago and they originally thought our James casey was the same one you found in the 1939 register as the same DOB...i ordered his death cert from 1989 lambeth and it has no middle initials and no occupation it says Date and place of birth 6th Jan 1929 Newcastle

i have contacted the BMD in newcastle 3 times in the last 5 years and applied for james casey birth certs with that DOB and they say they cannot find him :-( and they searched +- 5 yrs...the john casey with him in 1939 is born 1877 i think if i remember and i found a john casey with his exact DOB born in Tyrone Ireland but cannot make a connection as again name so common...i am still trying to find that john caseys death from the 1939 register...Thanks Everyone for your cemments and help i really appreciate it  :)