Author Topic: Keturah Marsh nee Bishop  (Read 2287 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Keturah Marsh nee Bishop
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 August 15 10:50 BST (UK) »
You probably have this.
Also in Longfleet, on 1 Nov 1854, Ann Marsh d/o James (occ shepherd) married James Francis Palmer (occ painter). His father was William Lanham Palmer (occ seaman). Witnesses were John and Mary Ann Barfoot.

In 1861 Keturah is down as lodger with the Palmers, not recorded she is actually mother in law of the Head of household.

In 1851 she is a servant of Henry Churchill and his wife Harriot at Greenland farm, Studland. Age recorded wrongly, but she could have pretended she was a bit younger or head of household made error in her age.

This may not be connected but there is a burial for a James Marsh (abode Swanage) in Studland on 26 Feb 1827. Age given as 51. Your James was baptised in October 1774, so assuming he was only a few weeks old at baptism, he wouldn't have had his 52nd birthday by Feb 1827, so age would only be a year out.  Curiously the officiating minister at burial seems to be the same as performed the marriage of James and Keturah (D Davies).

added
D Davies also baptised Anna Maria in 1832 and noted she was the illegitimate daughter of Keturah
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 August 15 12:22 BST (UK) »
There is an Ann Marsh here, is this her daughter?

HO107    Piece  279     Book   7   Civil Parish Worth Matravers    County   Dorset    Enumeration District  6    Folio  10     Page  14

That one's 12, Anna Maria would only be 9, maybe 8 on census day as she was baptised in November.

This Ann could possibly Ann Marsh d/o Joseph and Matilda bapt in Worth M on 7 Oct 1827.

Although she seems to be in the same household as Hannah Bower 17, Richard Corben 9 and Joseph Corben 6.
I think these are Hannah Bower bapt 18 Apr 1824 d/o Charles and Mary Bower,
Richard Corben Bower (base born) bapt 27 May 1832 s/o Mary Bower widow 
Joseph Corben bapt 12 April 1835 s/o Richard and Mary.

Charles Bower married Mary Maria Vincent in 1812
Charles Bower died in 1830 age 39 (b abt 1791)
Richard Corben married Mary Bower in 1833 (record doesn't give her status)

Joseph Marsh married Matilda Bower in 1807 in Langton Matravers.
I haven't found a connection between Charles and Matilda Bower. I was hoping to find baptisms and find they had same parents. But it is looking like this Ann Marsh has more connections with Joseph and Matilda.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline silver birch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 August 15 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hi All.

Many thanks for all your responses yes I have her marriage at Worth Matravers 21 Feb 1821 and her Death in Poole. It is just 1841 that is eluding me I just don't know where to look.

Offline Churchill lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 December 15 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm a direct descendant of Henry & Harriett Churchill of Greenlands Farm. :)