Author Topic: Sarah Maxwell McCann Hardie, Greenock/Port Glasgow...  (Read 2163 times)

Offline StewieP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Maxwell McCann Hardie, Greenock/Port Glasgow...
« on: Monday 10 August 15 03:29 BST (UK) »

Hello, all!

Got quite a bit of info on the above lady (who was my maternal great-great-grandmother), but any more details connected with her and her close/extended family would be very much appreciated!

Know for sure she was born 1st July 1888 on 7 Ropework Lane, Port Glasgow, to Robert McCann and Sarah McCann, née Maxwell. Her mother died a few days later due to 'debility after childbirth', and her father died in 1906.

Her parents, Robert and Sarah, married in 1879 in Port Glasgow; Robert's parents were James McCann and Isabella, née Hughes; Sarah's, Henry Maxwell and Sarah, née McLusky, who were both deceased by then. Robert's sister Ellen is mentioned on his death certificate (possible surname for her of McArdle), and Agnes O'Donnell is mentioned as sister of Sarah on the latter's death certificate. More info on them/their parents I do not have.

She (Sarah Maxwell McCann) married Neil Sinclair Hardie of Cathcart Street, Greenock, in 1911, and I know they had at least one daughter, Janet, who was my granny's mother; any other siblings I know nothing about.

I realize that's quite a bit to take in, but if anyone has any info on the Hardies, Maxwells etc, I'd be glad of any pointers!

Thanks,

Stewart Potter.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Maxwell McCann Hardie, Greenock/Port Glasgow...
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 August 15 07:42 BST (UK) »
Hi, a few bits........

Death:
Sarah Maxwell
died: 8 July 1859
age; 25
Port Glasgow,Renfrew
father:James McLusky-labourer
mother:Mary Sweeny
died of consumption
informant:husband
buried in parish burying pound,Port Glasgow

Henry Maxwell
died:26 Nov 1869
occ: iron fitter-journeyman
Port Glasgow,Renfrew
married to Annie Cunningham
father: Edward Maxwell-labourer (dec.)
mother: Margaret O' Hara
died of typhoid fever
informant: Ann Maxwell widow

Henry Maxwell & Sarah McLusky were married on 3 July 1852 in Port Glasgow, Renfrew

children of Henry & Sarah (births I found);

Margaret b 7 Sept 1855  bap 9 Sept 1855
James b 1 Jan 1858  bap 1 March 1858

children of Henry & Anne:

Francis b 19 April 1863  bap 26 April 1863
Mary Jane b 18 Aug 1864  bap 24 Aug 1864
Agnes b 24 March 1866 bap 1 April 1866
Alexander b 6 April 1868  bap 19 April 1868
Henrietta b 3 Dec 1869  bap 16 Jan 1870

** children of both marriages were born/baptised in St John's, Port Glasgow

Death:

Isabella (Hughes) McCann  died 1887  age 54 at Port Glasgow,Renfrew

Marriage:

21 July 1854 Ireland between James McCann & Isabella Hughes
* this is according to info found on the birth cert of their daughter Susan who was born on 5 Sept 1865 in Port Glasgow,Renfrew. Their children Robert, Helen (Ellen) & Mary were born in Ireland. I checked parish registers in Ireland and could not locate the births of Robert McCann & his siblings nor the parents' marriage.

If you go onto the Scotlandspeople website (which is pay per view) you can get these records. Hope ths helps,Kim

Offline CaileanMac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 August 15 15:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart,

We could be related through the Hardie family, although I can't say for sure without more information.

I'm guessing it could be through this line from me:

Neil Hardie (My Grandfather)
Born 1923 at 3 William St, Greenock.
I
Neil Hardie (My Great-Grandfather)
Born 1894 at 1 William St, Greenock.
I
Neil Hardie (My Great-Great Grandfather)
Born 1862 at 45 Cathcart St, Greenock.

My Great-Great Grandfather's brother was a John Hardie, who married a Janet Sinclair, I know they had a son named Neil in 1897. That could be the connection, although that would only make him about 14 or 15 when he got married.
Gr-Gr-Gr Grandparents and relevant areas: MacDonald (Skye/Renfrewshire/Glasgow), Johnstone (Inverness/Ayr/Glasgow), MacPherson (Ross/Glasgow), Irvine (Ireland/Glasgow), Berrie (Dunkeld/Glasgow), Biggar (Paisley/Glasgow), Bradley (Ireland/Glasgow), McCorkindale (Argyll/Glasgow), Hardie (Ireland/Greenock), Scott (Greenock) , Kane (Ireland), Maguire (Ireland), McLarty (Argyll/Greenock), McLean (Argyll/Greenock), Petrie (Fife/Dundee/Greenock), Graham (Argyll/Greenock).

Offline StewieP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 August 15 16:46 BST (UK) »

Hello!

Just back from a holiday, so excuse the slow reply!

Many thanks for all of your research and info! Let me delve into it a little more, and I'm sure we'll speak soon!

Best,

Stewart.