Author Topic: Wilson/Blacklock, Lochmaben/Annan...  (Read 1655 times)

Offline StewieP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wilson/Blacklock, Lochmaben/Annan...
« on: Monday 10 August 15 03:53 BST (UK) »

Hello, all!

Wondering if anyone would have any information on the above family names in Lochmaben and around. I have a little info, but any more would obviously be greatly appreciated.

My maternal great-grandmother was Annie Wilson, born 29th August 1905 to Thomas Wilson and Sarah Wilson, née Blacklock; Thomas and Sarah married 24th June 1892 at 'Marjoriebanks', Lochmaben. On their marriage certificate, it lists Thomas Wilson's 'reputed father' as Peter McGhie, lorryman (by then deceased), and mother as Isabella Wilson. Sarah Blacklock's parents are listed as William Blacklock, cotton-spinner, and Bridget Blacklock, née Byrne (by then deceased).

Thomas Wilson was born illegitimate on 27th September 1872 in Lochmaben to Isabella Wilson with no father listed, and indeed his birth certificate is only signed with an 'x' by Isabella, indicating she probably couldn't write.

Sarah Blacklock was born 25th December 1876 in Annan to William Blacklock (listed as spinner in cotton mill) and Bridget Blacklock, whose maiden-name is written 'Bern' this time.

Going back to my maternal great-grandmother, Annie Wilson, she married George Potter (born Portrush, NI) on 4th November 1924 in Port Glasgow, where she lived until she died.

That's all the info I have, so if anyone can get anything from that or, if anything strikes a chord, I'd be pleased to hear it!

Thanks,

Stewart Potter.

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson/Blacklock, Lochmaben/Annan...
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 September 15 12:45 BST (UK) »
Dear Stewart,

This is very interesting. Is there an note to an RCE on the 1872 birth certificate?

Isabella took Peter McGhie to court and the court found that he has the father of her child who was born 27 September 1872. You can see an index entry to the case here: http://www.scottishindexes.com/courttranscript.aspx?courtid=15034162

In theory all these cases should have resulted in a 'Schedule F' being sent to the GRO and an RCE made in the records. We are keen to work out how often this didn't happen. It is therefore also interesting that the marriage says 'reputed father' as the court found that he was the father.

Emma

Offline StewieP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson/Blacklock, Lochmaben/Annan...
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 02:00 BST (UK) »

Hello, Emma!

Many thanks for the post and your very interesting information!

I don't have the birth certificate handy right now, but I don't remember any mention of an RCE...

Either way, it's an exciting piece of news that can allow me to find out more about Peter McGhie!

Many thanks again!

Stewart.