Author Topic: Monument to the Annie Jane shipwreck 1853  (Read 1934 times)

Offline Vatersay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Monument to the Annie Jane shipwreck 1853
« on: Tuesday 11 August 15 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hello all

Trying to find out who put up the monument to the Annie Jane on the island of Vatersay, I have read somewhere? that it was put in in 1880 by a wealthy benefactor. Question is who was that and why?

Regards Allan

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Monument to the Annie Jane shipwreck 1853
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 19:58 BST (UK) »
From The Vatersay Raiders by Ben Buxton

Thomas Gray, Chief Clerk of the Wreck Department of the Board of Trade in London, visited Barra in 1866, and wrote a damning report about the treatment of wrecks and other matters.  He was told about the plundering of the Annie Jane's survivors' possessions and '...learnt that the burial was not at all what we would call Christian Burial but two large holes were dug and the people stowed in them Mr Beatson said "like herrings in a barrel".  There is no mark, not even a pice of wood to show where these bodies are buried.  I should like to see a stone erected...'

Mr Beatson was the Church of Scotland Minister in Barra.  Gray's wish to see a stone erected was fulfilled in 1881 when the present granite memorial on the dunes above the beach was put up.  There is no clue on it as to whose initiative this was, but a visitor in 1887 informs us that, "A few years ago a Robert MacFie, Esq. of Airds and Oban was cruising among the Western Islands in his yacht" and, on hearing about the disaster, resolved to commemorate it.  He commissioned the memorial from a firm of masons who were working on Barra at the time, Cruickshank of Glasgow

Offline Vatersay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 21:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for that Ben, I had hoped it was one of the survivors made good. Will now order the Vatersay raiders and see if there is any other information in it.

What a great site this is.

Regards Allan

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 23:00 BST (UK) »
You're welcome.  I'm not Ben, he's the author of the book, but I'm sure he'll be pleased that you are going to order a copy.  There is a whole very detailed chapter devoted to the wreck and its aftermath which was quite shocking.