Author Topic: Any suggestions for townland name?  (Read 4005 times)

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Any suggestions for townland name?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 00:42 BST (UK) »
It appears that the location variously given as Griddle/Gridle/Grid in the Ballymore/Mayglass parish registers corresponds to Randalstown, Co. Wexford, a townland just south of Mayglass. I determined this by following up on a suggestion on another board to crosscheck the names given for "Griddle" with those listed in Griffith's valuation.
I guess this should not be a surprise, as I already knew that the Walsh family of interest lived in Randalstown in 1852/53 (Griffith's Valuation), and 1860s (civil registration records).

The name Griddle/Grid may come from the layout of the farm strips there at one time. The grid arrangement changed over time and disappeared (using various historical layers on the wonderful AskIreland site).
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area