Author Topic: ordnance survey maps  (Read 2629 times)

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ordnance survey maps
« on: Tuesday 11 August 15 18:41 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have an old map of Banchory in the 1840s showing a farm "Minonie" which is alleged to be near the Bridge of Feugh.  Thanks

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: ordnance survey maps
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hello,
     Minnony, south/east of Bridge of Feugh is shown on this OS Six inch, 1843-1882 Map.
          http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=57.0445&lon=-2.4932&layers=5
     These National Library of Scotland (nls) maps are excellent. Zoom in/out, slide Blue Dot at bottom left for an up-to-date satellite overview or click on blue Side by Side to make comparing then and now easy. Click on 2. Select a map/map series and choose different maps from the drop down menu.
     One of my favourite websites.
               Regards,     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 19:49 BST (UK) »
Not sure but this looks to be a pic of the Farm House although probably after some renovations  ???

The name on this one is Minonie Farm & it's area (may be more recent) is Tilquhillie, Banchory Aberdeenshire AB31 6LE

You can move it on the screen for a better view  :P

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fw6/

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 20:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone, as I am on holiday in the area I can now visit where the farm is/was.

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 August 15 07:58 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor born 1818 at Minonie/Minnony, Banchory,  does anyone know on whose estate this was.  I am sure it is not the Burnett estate.  Thanks

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 August 15 20:32 BST (UK) »
I found the house Minnonie which has been updated, of course, and I know believe it may be part of the Douglas Estate. 

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 August 15 00:43 BST (UK) »
Hello,
     I think you are right about the Douglas connection. The 2 nearest "Big Houses" to Minnony seem to be Tilquhillie Castle and Invery House.
     Tilquhillie Mill lies directly east of Bridge of Feugh and just south from there is Tilquhillie Castle.
There is a cottage quite close to Minnony named Tilquhittie/Tilquhillie, so Castle, Mill and Cottage were probably all part of Tilquhillie Estate. 'ammack,s' post says the address for Minnony comes under Tilquhillie so it was probably part of the estate too.
     Invery House is on the west bank of the Water of Feugh, directly south from Bridge of Feugh, while Invery Cottage lies just west of Bridge of Feugh and both are probably part of Invery Estate.
     Both Tilquhillie and Invery were owned by the Douglas family and both are mentioned on this Link.
          www.douglashistory.co.uk/history/families/douglas_of_tilquhillie.htm#.Vc0ohflVikp

Regards,     Dod.

PS. I notice from the later OS Maps that the Minnony Farm layout is completely different from the 1843-1882 Map. Looks like changes were made quite some time ago.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 August 15 08:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that.  Spoke to the present owners of Minnony who have been there 25 years and they tell me that it was the house for the Factor of the Douglas Estate, and yes it has been altered a lot.