Author Topic: wilfred chatwin  (Read 5567 times)

Offline TasTyger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: wilfred chatwin
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 13 August 15 12:41 BST (UK) »
The civil marriage index reference gives no other information other than it occurred in Derby, 25 March 1915 #1461 . Pity it didn't list a church or such. The marriage didn't occur in the Anglican, Methodist or Presbyterian churches of the area because I looked at all three relevant microfilms today...

Perhaps it occurred in the Congregational or Catholic church, alas there are no relevant records available through TAHO for that area for either of those faiths. The only other way to see the marriage certificate without having a clear idea if it was a church wedding would be the purchase the certificate??.

Its also interesting to note that the transcript for the marriage on FamilySearch simply has grooms father's name as Chatwin - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTZC-1CQ  but when you look at other examples of marriage transcripts for the same time period they nearly all list both bride and grooms parents. If the transcript is accurate then why is it so deficient in that area?

If Wilfred William John Chatwin was say a stepson of Thomas Thompson and his mother was Martha Wilkins why didn't he have that on the certificate? Could he have been given information by his mother as to who his biological father was and he decided he was going to use his real father's surname and put that on the certificate?

Peter

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 13 August 15 13:29 BST (UK) »
yes I am thinking along the lines of Thompson being a step father as well. I am going to do some more investigating on Martha and see what I can find.......

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 13 August 15 13:49 BST (UK) »
if Wilfred chatwin was born 1888 going on his death age, Martha would have only been 12.  wilfred Wilkins born 1893 makes Martha 17 years old........ok....ok,  just thinking out aloud

Offline TasTyger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 13 August 15 23:30 BST (UK) »
The marriage of Wilfred William John Chatwin and Linda May Amos is recorded in the Scottsdale Methodist Church register (even though the marriage took place at Derby) and the TAHO reference for the register is NS499/1/1475.

The FamilySearch transcript is correct in essence but they missed one line. At the end of line where Wilfred William John Chatwin is identified as the bridegroom there is in brackets...(known as THOMPSON).

In the space for fathers name is simply CHATWIN and his mothers details have "unknown" written in.

Cheers,

Peter 

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 13 August 15 23:44 BST (UK) »
this is great news,  really great news !!!!! I also noticed that in tom thompsons death notice, there is a granddaughter by the name of mrs sushames, that name is also in our family tree............
thank you thank you thank you !!!!!

Offline TasTyger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 14 August 15 00:13 BST (UK) »
No prob !!...like a good detective hunt  ;) I think you might have to look at Robert Chatwin as the possible biological father of Wilfred. Looks as though he was the only Chatwin in Kindred at the same time Wilfred was born. I'm only going on the children he was having at the same time -  Louisa Chatwin https://stors.tas.gov.au/RGD33-1-76p188j2k and Lillian Pearl Chatwin https://stors.tas.gov.au/RGD33-1-80p203j2k

Did he have a liaison with Martha Wilkins?

Cheers,

Peter

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 15 August 15 04:56 BST (UK) »
 a bit of hanky panky happened there for sure !!!!! hee hee

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 15 August 15 05:51 BST (UK) »
it says Martha was a servant at the time of her marriage......wouldn't mind betting that she was a servant to Robert chatwin or his father Alfred as they were very well off farmers by the looks of it...........you just never know !!!!!!!

Offline Jan Phillips

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 19 July 18 13:44 BST (UK) »
Interesting reading all the info on my grandfather, Wilfred Chatwin.  This is what I know/have managed to find out.  Nan always said that pop was a year older than her - so that means he was born in 1893.  The date of their marriage was sometime prior to May 1914, not 1915 as in the records, because they celebrated their 50th Wedding anniversary prior to pop's sudden death on 22 May, 1964 (I have the old photo slides of them cutting their cake.  Pop was quite ill at the time). I figure nan, dad and my aunts and uncles would know when she was married - so I'm disputing the 1915 date - that may have been when the marriage was finally registered but it certainly wasn't when the event occurred.  They were married and lived in Morinna - at least their first two children were born there as pop worked in the Anchor tin mine.  Linda's father, Henry Amos, had the contract for the mail coach from Morinna to the east coast.

According to Nan, Dad and his oldest sister, pop's mother (Martha Wilkinson) was supposed to have died at his birth and he was brought up in Derby, NE Tas, by people surnamed Thompson, and didn't know his surname was Chatwin until he got his birth certificate in 1914 so he could marry Nan.  My father was Reginald Wilfred, the youngest child and Linda, my nan, lived with us all my life until her death in 1986.

I found a birth record for a Wilfred William John Wilkins, born October 1893 to Martha Wilkins (kind of like Wilkinson???).  She married Thomas Thompson (from Norway) in 1897 in Derby.  Her occupation is listed as servant on the marriage certificate.  After the birth record there is no further mention of Wilfred William John Wilkins, and I can't find pop anywhere before 1914.

Assuming Martha was employed as a servant prior to Wilfred's arrival, and she obviously wasn't married to the father, I made the assumption that perhaps the father was Martha's employer, perhaps already married?  I was hoping that his birth certificate would help, but if that doesn't have his father's full name, it would have been $60 wasted.

I suspect this missing Chatwin is the connection between my family and the Chatwin's who live on the NW coast of Tas - we know we are related somehow, this has to be the connection.  Mum my brothers and I would like to solve this little mystery - Dad and all his family are gone now and it would be nice to know before Mum passes.