Author Topic: Somlia Magdelena Fourie  (Read 1950 times)

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Somlia Magdelena Fourie
« on: Wednesday 12 August 15 10:11 BST (UK) »
Somlia was born 29 march 1905--I assume South Africa. She married twice. First to someone called Buckley--sorry don't know first name or date/location of marriage . She is widowed--I believe they had children. She marries for a second time in 1956 to Thomas henry Hurst in Port Elizabeth but they live Johannesburg. He dies 1965 .I am not working on his line but
Would like  to find any information about Somlia .
Many Thanks .

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Somlia Magdelena Fourie
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 August 15 11:36 BST (UK) »
I have found the following documents at the archives.  It would appear that her first name was Salome not Somlia.

You can order copies of the TAB document through eggsa.org  The KAB document you would have to order directly through the Cape Town archives. I do not think that the first one would be worth getting and I am only attaching it to show the spelling of her name and the full names of her first husband - Joseph Francis Buckley.

It is highly likely that the estate file for Joseph would give the names of their children. 

DEPOT     KAB                                                                   
SOURCE    GSC                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 2/1/1/459                                                             
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 401                                                                   
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          ILLIQUID CASE. SALOME MAGDALENA BUCKLEY (BORN FOURIE), EXECUTRIX OF   
           ESTATE JOSEPH FRANCIS BUCKLEY VERSUS BARRATT, BARRATT AND GORST     
           (PTY.) LTD. PAYMENT OF MONEY.                                       
STARTING  19470000                                                             
ENDING    19470000

DEPOT     KAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MOOC                                                                 
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 6/9/13620                                                             
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 571/47                                                               
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          BUCKLEY, JOSEPH FRANCIS. ESTATE PAPERS.                               
STARTING  19470000                                                             
ENDING    19470000

DEPOT     TAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MHG                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 9704/65                                                               
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          HURST, THOMAS HENRY.                                                 
STARTING  19650000                                                             
ENDING    19650000                                                             
REMARKS   SURVIVING SPOUSE SALOME MAGDALENA HURST. PREDECEASED SPOUSE MARGARET 
           DEWE HURST.

Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 August 15 12:01 BST (UK) »
Very many thanks.

Offline Franjoe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hello - Salome Magdelena Fourie is my grandmother (Buckley)- was wondering whether you still need any more info.

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Franjoe and welcome .

Delighted to hear from you and yes would love to learn more . She married a relative of Mine Thomas Henry   (Harry) Hurst born Ireland . She would have been a stepmother to his son.Delighted to have any information you can share . I suspect its unlikely but do you have any photos of her and her new Hurst Family ? Once you have posted 3 Posts you can send person messages .
Looking forward to hearing from You .
Thank You for making contact.

Offline Franjoe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 20:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the 'welcome'. Yes, she was stepmother to 'Vernon', Tom's son. I met Vernon on only a few occasions when I was still quite young as they lived in Johannesburg (Berea) while I lived in PE (Port Elizabeth). I can however remember he was obsessed with soccer (we on the otherhand were more obsessed with rugby.... :P) and he had what seemed like dozens of these soccer player card collections. I actually don't know what became of Vernon but I'll make some enquiries from the family. I personnaly don't recall Tom as he died when I was only 5 yrs old.  Although we have photo's of my Grandmother, I can only remember one or two which include that of Tom. I can't remember of any ones that include Vernon.  Nonetheless, I shall endeavour to find out and let you know.

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 21:19 BST (UK) »
Really appreciate you making contact. I never met any of them so delighted to learn more. Do you know how your grandmother and Tom ( known to us as Harry met ?) I wonder why he was in Port Elizabeth. He was a engineer . Have only been to South Africa on one occasion but thought it stunning .
Catheyt

ps  I found a shipping record for a Salome Buckley from South Africa arriving on her own on 4 may 1951 Southampton . Address in England was Lichfield Staffs---could that have been your Grandmother ? But no children with her.

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 July 16 07:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

You can download the DN and estate for Joseph Francis Buckley from familysearch.org at
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C91H-84QG-1?i=958&cat=331262

You will need to order the Hurst one as those years are not on-line.

Regards
Gillian
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 July 16 17:41 BST (UK) »
 Have downloaded it --grate --just what I wanted. Thank you for that .