Author Topic: ROBERTSON, COUTTS & Co, Rotterdam  (Read 3292 times)

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ROBERTSON, COUTTS & Co, Rotterdam
« on: Wednesday 12 August 15 14:20 BST (UK) »
Donald ROBERTSON from Perth[shire?] (son of James ROBERTSON) married Agnes COUTTS from Banff[shire?] (dau of Peter COUTTS) marr 25 Dec 1754 in Rotterdam, according to the transcribed church records.

Donald ROBERTSON is probably partner in Robertson, Coutts & Co, merchants in Rotterdam.
The Coutts partner is one of the family who founded Coutts Bank; Agnes COUTTS must be related.

Does anyone know more about this Peter COUTTS?

I'm wondering if there is any connection between them and William ROBERTSON merchant in Rotterdam who was born in 1711 in Keith, Banffshire to Alexander ROBERTSON (latterly at Scotsmill, Boyndie and merchant in Portsoy - he was born abt1666) & Elspet LORIMER.

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: ROBERTSON, COUTTS & Co, Rotterdam
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 21:14 BST (UK) »
There are a number of Patrick Coutts in the banking family.  Patrick and Peter are interchangeable names in Scotland.

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 22:19 BST (UK) »
Yes indeed, I'm aware of that. But were any of the Coutts banking family ever in Banff[shire]?

Coutts is not a particularly uncommon surname.

Offline de la Mer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 09:58 BST (UK) »
Interesting, my wife is in 8 generations a direct descendant of Donald Robertson and Agnes Coutts. As far as I can tell officers bearing the name of Coutts were not uncommon among the officers of the Scots Brigade in Holland.   

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 July 17 22:22 BST (UK) »
MdelaMar, I see you've replied to the Banffshire and the Perthshire boards. What can you add about (a) Donald ROBERSTON and (b) Peter COUTTS?

Offline de la Mer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 July 17 20:16 BST (UK) »
I've just started researching this family. You will hear from me shortly (as I am on holidays right now).

greets,

Michael

Offline kiwibyrd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 February 21 07:36 GMT (UK) »
Donald ROBERTSON from Perth[shire?] (son of James ROBERTSON) married Agnes COUTTS from Banff[shire?] (dau of Peter COUTTS) marr 25 Dec 1754 in Rotterdam, according to the transcribed church records.

Donald ROBERTSON is probably partner in Robertson, Coutts & Co, merchants in Rotterdam.
The Coutts partner is one of the family who founded Coutts Bank; Agnes COUTTS must be related.

Does anyone know more about this Peter COUTTS?

I'm wondering if there is any connection between them and William ROBERTSON merchant in Rotterdam who was born in 1711 in Keith, Banffshire to Alexander ROBERTSON (latterly at Scotsmill, Boyndie and merchant in Portsoy - he was born abt1666) & Elspet LORIMER.