Author Topic: Mary Jane DUGUID (married James Welsh GAY)  (Read 5149 times)

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Jane DUGUID (married James Welsh GAY)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 August 15 22:58 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Ruth, Anne and Ev. 
I did find the 1901 Census data for M.J.Milne DUGUID, and like you, thought it the most likely.  However, based on naming conventions of the time, I did expect to find the name "Duthie" (Eliza Jane 'Duthie') somewhere in my search. 

Think I've found the Duthie connection  ;D

Mary Jane Milne m. James Duguid in Old Machar in 1887 (as I mentioned previously). James Duguid was the son of James Duguid, b. Old Meldrum abt. 1818, and Jean/Jane Logan, b. Cruden in 1829 - James Duguid senior had a sister, Martha Duguid (so she was James junior's aunt), who married William Duthie, b. 1820 in St Cyrus - the Duthies were living in Peterculter around the time of Eliza Jane Duthie Duguid's birth. Martha Duthie (nee Duguid) died in 1899 in Peterculter, and her husband William died in 1903.

I've had a number of instances in my own tree where children have been named after the spouses of either a sibling or aunt/uncle - so looking sideways is always a good idea  ;) No sign of a Lumsden yet though...

Ruth

McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynn,
When I was at the GRO today I forgot to look at the Duguid/Gay marriage .
( can't believe I forgot!)

Eliza Jeanie Duthie Duguid was born 14 Aug 1896
Edward Lumsden Duguid was born om 2 Jul 1898
Their ancestry is exactly as provided by Ruthhelen (above)

They were the ONLY children born to James Duguid and Mary Jane Milne.
They appear on the 1911 census in Longside, Aberdeen
James Duguid is not in the household but Mary Jane  ( age 45) is entered as married, 2 children born and both still living.

Edward married Maggie (looks like middle name is Ellen) Milne in Edinburgh on 30 Jun 1926.
Maggie was a 34yr old widow, previous married name was Stewart.
Daughter of James Milne and Rachel Slattie.

As you  described Eliza JD Duguid as a spinster aunt, it's likely that Edward was the father of Mary Jane Duguid who married James Gay?
If so, she was possibly born in Edinburgh

Offline lynnungarian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 August 15 14:25 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to you both.  This is far more information than I expected and I am excited to take this further.  My apologies for the very late reply; we have just returned from vacation and I have been off the air for past two weeks.  Let me digest what you have found and I will get back to you very soon.
FIFE: Anderson, Melville, Watson, Smith, Black, Gay, Lees.  KINCARDINE: Lees, Craig, McKechnie, Adam, Christie, Wood, Moir. Also, Anderson of PERTH, McKechnie of ARGYLL.

Offline Tara McSkimming McFadyen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 April 16 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hello!!
I am Tara McSkimming-McFadyen. James Welsh Gay and Isabella Shearer were my husbands grandparents.
Thank you all for sharing/confirming the info I had.
Harry; I just love the history lessons about my family. You say that Cellardyke is your home town. Is it easy and convenient to find more info on the Gay family? I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I am interested in finding out if Catherine Gay (wife of George Smith) is one of "My" Gays?
My mother-in-law, had a brother named George Smith Gay! He was born in Aug of 1933 in Edinburgh and he passed away in Toronto, Ontario, Canada in May of 2012. Just had lunch with his son last month!!
Many Thanks for the stories and helpful posts and I look forward to many more!

Tara

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 April 16 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Tara. I said quite a lot about the Gays and Smiths in my post of Friday, 14th August 2015 on this thread. I mentioned George Smith, drowned in 1844, who was married to Catherine Gay. George was the son of George Smith and Janet Scott of Cellardyke. Catherine was born in 1797 in Pittenweem to Philip Gay, linen weaver, and Christian Melville. I haven't been able to find this couple's marriage, but the entry for their daughter's birth doesn't say she was illegitimate. Can't find Philip Gay's death in the records either. The name Philip Gay has survived into modern times in the area. The surname Gay is still current in Pittenweem, and there were other Gays about 5 miles away in Crail, but I don't think the two extended families were related. Of course there has been a lot of intermarriage between people in adjacent villages in the East Neuk of Fife so you find the same surnames in all of them.

Harry