Author Topic: Where next to follow death in Armentiers  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where next to follow death in Armentiers
« on: Wednesday 12 August 15 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Can anyone advise me where I can look next to find out about what might have happened to Harold Pullan (born in 1888 in Bradford) ? I have all the census information and I know he died in WW1 and have this information so far;

Commonwealth War Graves -
PULLAN, H Serjeant 9318 10/01/1916  Northumberland Fusiliers United Kingdom IX. D. 90. CITE BONJEAN MILITARY CEMETERY, ARMENTIERES 

I know he was in the 13th Northumberland Fusiliers

From Soldiers List Of Effects - it states that he  'died in the field, accident'

Looking through the Commonwealth War Graves records there seems many regiments who have buried soldiers around the same time ( January 1916) in that cemetery. (Somerset Light Infantry , Yorks and Lancaster, South Irish Horse, Kings Own Light etc ) Were these regiments working together as one unit? What battles were going on at that time?
The soldier I am researching died as a result of an accident- will I be able to find out what happened?
Having got this far and finding someone who died in WW1 I really feel that I want to be able to complete his story.
Thanks for any advice or help you may be able to give

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where next to follow death in Armentiers
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 17:18 BST (UK) »
Because it's an unusual event it may be recorded in war diary of 13th NF ..they are sometimes available on national archives site...also Bradford City library may have some info if he was still living there when he enlisted they have a card system with all men mentioned in papers are logged.

He's on here too
http://www.bradfordww1.co.uk/name-index-p-s.html

Looking at his medal index card and roll I would say he was a pre war soldier recalled on outbreak of war maybe it was a grenade accident? Jan 1916 is where you will need look at war diary for 13th Batt.
He originally deployed overseas 9/9/15

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 17:46 BST (UK) »
The National Archives have 13 Battalion Northumberland Fulisiers available to download for the "outrageous" sum of £3.30  ;D ;D :-[  Period covered is September 1915 to July 1917.  152 MB.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 18:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you both - the suggestion about Bradford Library is a good one , I didn't know they had that information so will look it up next time I am there.
 I have now downloaded the War Diary and have found the relevant day. There is a lot of information for that day so I will need to read carefully. Will post again if it reveals anything.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 18:23 BST (UK) »
The War diary has an NCO accidentally wounded at divisional grenade school on 5th Jan this could be him
The war diary is on ancestry and pretty detailed 13th batt are in action on 10th no mention of accidental casualties ...

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 18:46 BST (UK) »
I think I have found it - in the War Diary for the 10 Jan ( which is the same as the date given by Commonwealth War Graves) it describes that the Northumberland Fusiliers under fire from the German trenches .....  some 70 shells and 35 grenades had been sent. The Northumberland Fusiliers were retaliating and one of their 4 machine gunners had silenced a German gun A Zeppelin was reported as flying overhead ..... Then another sentences has been added which says  I N C D accidently killed. Any ideas what those letters stand for?

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 18:57 BST (UK) »
Probably 1 NCO ...non comissioned officer which is what he was as a Sergeant so yep looks like you have him

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 August 15 12:33 BST (UK) »
Thankyou - your interpretation of the abbrieviation  does make sense and also for the explanation as I didn't know that information. Can't believe how quickly I have managed to get my query answered with the advice and suggestions received. Thank you