Author Topic: Parentage of Nathan Fitch (b. 1748, m. Amy Avery) and a few other questions  (Read 2787 times)

Offline Nick Vogel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parentage of Nathan Fitch (b. 1748, m. Amy Avery) and a few other questions
« on: Wednesday 12 August 15 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hey everyone, a little while ago I posted a question about the parentage of Amy Fitch, wife of Ephraim Forbes, daughter of Hannah Leonard, and a ‘Captain Fitch’ whose first name is unknown. A book I read called “Ancestors and Descendants of Ephraim Forbes and Amy Fitch,” written in the 1950’s, said they thought he was a ship’s captain who died at sea shortly after Amy’s birth.

Having said that I’ve seen a few other accounts about who he was. In this article from Daughters of the American Revolution Magazine, a woman says she thinks (but wasn’t sure) that Amy Fitch’s father was Nathan Fitch (1748-1814) married to Amy Avery. But the lady says that Amy Fitch was born in/lived in Coventry Connecticut, even though we know Amy was born and raised in Preston Connecticut and that’s where her mother Hannah Leonard lived too. The other issue is that a book called “American Ancestry” says that the Nathan Fitch who married Amy Avery was from Guilderland New York, and was the son of Elisha Fitch of Coventry Connecticut.

Here is the American Ancestry link:

https://books.google.com/books?id=L25LAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA27&lpg=PA27&dq=nathan+fitch+amy+avery&source=bl&ots=V--4dbysyO&sig=DY3ifRGQK2Nz0cMnKHpPTd9Ysso&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDoQ6AEwBWoVChMI_O3ah7ekxwIVxDY-Ch2sTwRP#v=onepage&q=nathan%20fitch%20amy%20avery&f=false

Daughters of the American Revolution Magazine link:

https://books.google.com/books?id=TOYQAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA151&lpg=PA151&dq=amy+fitch+nathaniel+fitch&source=bl&ots=w8ibO-TklM&sig=SBXEqMtBkMDWhSR0ZLsjYTmOreo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAmoVChMI_bq-u7mkxwIVjQOSCh2GWQEX#v=onepage&q=amy%20fitch%20nathaniel%20fitch&f=false

This Ancestry.com genealogy says that Nathan was from Coventry Connecticut and his father was Ebenezer Fitch.

http://www.ancestry.com/genealogy/records/nathan-fitch_25497972

So having said all that there is a diary by Jabez Fitch, from Preston Connecticut who mentions a lawsuit between Hannah Leonard and a man named Nathan Fitch in 1775. Jabez says that the court ordered Nathan to pay her 60 pounds which he said “I think was more than it was worth.” Is Nathan a common shortening of Nathaniel? He never says what the suit was over but could it have been a divorce? Maybe the idea that he was a sea captain who died at sea was a mistake later in family tradition later to explain why Nathan and Hannah were no longer married soon after Amy’s birth? Hannah was only eighteen when her daughter Amy was born so maybe getting married and then getting divorced so quick was some youthful mistake. I’ve read that Connecticut was the most liberal state for allowing divorce in pre-revolutionary America.

There was a Nathaniel Fitch living in Preston Connecticut who ended up serving as an officer in the American Revolution. I have seen a few genealogies on Ancestry.com saying Nathaniel Fitch and Thisbe Clark were the parents of Amy Fitch (we now know that it was Hannah Leonard as Hannah’s parents mention their granddaughter Amy Fitch in their wills), but Amy Fitch did end up naming one of her daughters Thisbe. Maybe she got along with her stepmother and decided to name a daughter after her? This lends I guess to the idea that Nathaniel Fitch was her father and he was a captain in the army rather than of a ship.

So to sum up my questions:

Does anyone know about the parentage/residence of the Nathan Fitch who married Amy Avery? Was he from Coventry Connecticut or was he from New York? Also does anyone know about his parentage, whether his father was actually Elisha or Ebeneezer Fitch? Also, was divorce a reasonably easy to obtain thing in America in the pre-revolutionary period?

Offline SLStephens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Parentage of Nathan Fitch (b. 1748, m. Amy Avery) and a few other questions
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 August 15 06:15 BST (UK) »
Have you tried looking at Rootsweb's WorldConnect site?  Look for Nathan Fitch, wife Amy.  Several entries, some stating he was married prior to Amy.  Check sources given, and you could contact the people who made these entries for other information.  Appears he and Amy had 5 or 6 children - I would think a divorce unlikely.

Offline Nick Vogel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 August 15 19:05 BST (UK) »
I haven't checked out the World Connect site yet, could you link me to it please? Is it free?

Offline Nick Vogel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 August 15 19:53 BST (UK) »
The reason I suggest there may have been a divorce as well (or possibly Nathan Fitch and Amy Avery weren't Amy Fitch's parents) is because that American Ancestry book says that the Nathan Fitch who married Amy Avery had a son named Avery born in 1780, although it doesn't say when in 1780. Hannah Leonard is recorded as marrying her second husband, John Starkweather, on May 25th 1780. Maybe Nathan Fitch died between the birth of his son and Hannah's marriage to John Starkweather but I feel like mourning customs and taste at the time would make that quick of a marriage after being widowed taboo, and Hannah's parents were fairly well to do members of the community, so it isn't as if she desperately needed a new husband, she and John actually moved in to her parents' house after the marriage, and the genealogies I've seen on Ancestry that say when Nathan died mark his death as 1814. Also, Amy Fitch was born on March 16th 1775, while Jabez Fitch's diary entry that talks about a Nathan Fitch and Hannah Leonard (I would think marking her unmarried status by referring to her last name as Leonard) having a lawsuit is dated August 19th 1775. My sources are these two books:

https://books.google.com/books?id=fv8KAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA46&lpg=PA46&dq=hannah+leonard+nathan+fitch&source=bl&ots=cgSyT82cLk&sig=5BkDDZ3QCWRd2zIW3k-b-n3PAQE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAmoVChMIudOiq5qpxwIViRWSCh0XQQ3H#v=onepage&q=hannah%20leonard%20nathan%20fitch&f=false

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89066140591;view=1up;seq=159

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 August 15 13:47 BST (UK) »
You might want to look through the indexes to the NEHGR located here:

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/New_England_Historical_Genealogical_Register_Online

At the same link, once you've found the vol/page  you can scroll down to find the volumes that are available online from Internet Archive (Allen Co., IN Library/Fort Wayne)

Offline Nick Vogel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 August 15 04:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tips guys, will check them out. Is this here the right website by the way?

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/