Author Topic: Helen Milne born c mid 1850's Huntly - ? illegitimate  (Read 6086 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Helen Milne born c mid 1850's Huntly - ? illegitimate
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 20 August 15 11:53 BST (UK) »
Yes, after your both your suggestions I decided to put in a request to see whether someone would be able to help with searching the Huntly Kirk Sessions for mention of Helen Milne's birth on the "Lookups Request Board" (I'm in Australia so getting a chance to do this myself is not possible).  From some of the response it appears as it may not be so easy??
I would offer but I live 300 km from Edinburgh and I don't know when I will next be able to get to the National Archives.

I wouldn't say it was difficult, just potentially rather time-consuming, and it requires a visit to Edinburgh or to one of the archives that has access to the 'Virtual Volumes' which are the digitised versions of various documents held in the National Archives.

You'd need to find and open the Huntly KS minutes and start reading through them from say the beginning of 1851, because the KS minutes are not indexed. Many, but not all, include the topic of discussion in the margin, which helps to find relevant items, but I do not know whether the Huntly ones do this.

You need to keep going until you find the relevant item, or until about 1860, because sometimes it takes the KS quite a while to catch up with errant parents. As has been said on the other thread, if both parties belonged to a denomination other than the Church of Scotland, the C of S KS would not get involved. So it can be quite a long job, and I suspect that those who are familiar with the task would be hesitant to commit themselves.

One way to tackle it would be to hire a professional searcher to find the information for you. This would cost a bit, but a lot less than travelling from Australia, and you would be sure of getting it done. There are links to lists of professional searchers on the NRS web site http://nrscotland.gov.uk/
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline meljade

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 20 August 15 12:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for clarifying the legal jargon! It appears Helen had 170 pounds.  The document mainly confirms her address, husbands name, lists what monies make up her estate and where the money is from.

I'm sure it would be very tedious of having to trawl through reems of documentation (I have needed to do it myself before), so completely understand that it is not an easy request and people are busy with there own research.  I will have a look into the professional researchers. Once again thanks for the info.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 20 August 15 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm curious as to the exact wording in the Inventory regarding Helens death. Does it actually say she died in Aberdeen?

Andy

Offline meljade

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 20 August 15 12:59 BST (UK) »
Yes, it states she died at Aberdeen.  Excerpt from the inventory -

"At Aberdeen the 14th July 1921 the following investors of the personal estate of the late Mrs Helen Milne or Wilson was presented for registration in this register (blank space) conform to law by Bartlet Wilson, the Executor within designed. Investors of the moveable or personal estate and effects, wheresoever situated of the late Mrs Helen Milne or Wilson, residing at no. 129 Union Grove, Aberdeen, wife of Bartlet Wilson, Caretaker, residing there, who died at Aberdeen on the 10 July 1921." 
It then lists her monies then another statement similar to the one above but adding in that the information was provided in the presence of the Sheriff Clerk Depute of Aberdeenshire.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 20 August 15 23:00 BST (UK) »
I too read the will Andy and it definitely states she died in Aberdeen on 10 Jul 1921.

It doesn't mean that death wasn't registered, but the link to this record was omitted when indexing  the SP images.
I couldn't find it and neither could any of the staff.
The record will be on SP but theres no index/link to access it !

To answer your question Mel, it does happen, albeit occasionally and is caused by human error.

The staff will  try locate the original image from the record book, and arrange for it to be indexed so that it can be found on SP

Offline meljade

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 28 August 15 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Was an approx time frame given before the image for Helen's death cert would be available on SP?