Author Topic: Maria Smyth born around 1858, Castle Rahan, Cavan.  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Anne12

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maria Smyth born around 1858, Castle Rahan, Cavan.
« on: Thursday 13 August 15 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am new to the forum and wonder if anyone on here can help me with a family history query. I am trying to research my great grandmother and her family. I know she was definitely from Castle Rahan. She was called Maria Smyth and was born about 1858. Maria's father was Thomas Smyth and she had a brother also named Thomas, and two sisters, one who was known as Rose (who married a man called Flynn and emigrated to USA) and another sister Lucy, who married a Michael Esmonde from County Wexford. I would be interested to hear if anyone on here has links to these Smyths from Castle Rahan. They had some links with an establishment called Reilly House, which was in or around Cavan. Not sure if Reilly House was a private dwelling or an establishment.

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maria Smyth born around 1858, Castle Rahan, Cavan.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 August 15 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Anne12 and welcome to RootsChat.

Not knowing what other background information you have, all I can say at this point is that the 'RootsIreland' website has a number of Co. Cavan baptism records for children of a Thomas Smith/Smyth and a Mary Reilly in the parish of Castlerahan, for example: Bridget 1856; Mary 1858; Lucy 1860; Michael 1865; Charles 1868; Rose Anne 1872. Record content is pay to view.

The Familysearch website has a couple of them.  In addition, for parents with these names, I know of Co. Cavan baptism records for: Thomas 1868, Lavey parish; Owen 1857, Drung parish. 

However, I would caution that Thomas Smith/Smyth and Mary Reilly are pretty common names for that era in Ireland.

Not sure if any of this 'fits', but any other information you could provide posters reading your thread to assist would be welcome.  :)

Offline Anne12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Maria Smyth born around 1858, Castle Rahan, Cavan.
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 August 15 19:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for replying to this. I have resubscribed to RootsIreland and believe that I may have found the correct parents of Maria, Lucy and Thomas. All three have Baptismal records from within the County Cavan (Castle Rahan) locality and all three have parents called Thomas Smith and Mary Reilly. If this is the correct line, they also had a couple of other siblings whom I knew nothing about. For now I am putting them in as probables into my tree. Thanks again for all suggestions.