Author Topic: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 1  (Read 65991 times)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 23 August 15 17:30 BST (UK) »
OK, but all the entries in 1819, baptisms, marriages and burials are entered as being conducted by the Curate, John Turner.  Would he have conducted the burial of a Catholic?  :-\  I can see a couple of burials being conducted, in 1822, by a vicar from another parish.  However, I have not looked at all 719 pages of the records.  :o
died 9 January 1788 - Edward Leadbetter of Selby, a Roman Catholic priest - buried within the altar rails of Selby Church, aged 40.

Added:  yet another reason to look at the parish records - Selby obviously partially followed Reverend Dade, so there is additional information on baptisms and burials - like parents, spouses and occupations.  ;)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 23 August 15 18:15 BST (UK) »
Taking all into consideration, George's burial remains a mystery.

Around Selby area a  lot of Parishes have Dade records which is great and can take you back two generations and loads of snippets of info. 

Goughy
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 23 August 15 20:03 BST (UK) »
St Mary's Catholic church was built in 1856 see link

http://stmarysselby.org.uk/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 23 August 15 23:09 BST (UK) »
Just a thought ?

What did the Selby George die of ?

If fever ! in an epidemic they buried them bodies fast in a communal fever grave and in the panic did not always record those buried or may have missed the odd one.

Thanks
George Hood of Selby (who died 18 Sept 1845) died of Disease of the Heart, certified 18 months.

I have all the IGI HOOD Yorkshire printed off as eleven A3 pages, which has about 4 lists per page in small writing (just comfortably readable with good eyesight) from the Fiches.

But the Hood burial events must be on other Registers, not consulted by the IGI complilers, or missed out.

One town Parish Register I noticed, was only partly transcribed on the IGI.

Mark

There does not seem to be a burial in Selby for George's wife Sarah either ?

May sound a dumb question !

Have you actually seen the parish register yourself (or on Film) of Selby burials 1845 or BT's in as numbered in numerical order entries on a page by date of the register or had them checked by someone or archive staff at the  Borthwick institute York Uni..
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 24 August 15 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hello dobfarm

Your post & question is not daft.

Whilst I have the Register Office Certificate for Sarah Hood's death on 28 November 1879 aged 86, dying at 11 Gowthorpe, Selby, stating Widow of George Hood, Tanner, the IGI lists no burial for Sarah in 1879.

I paid a local Library to search their Selby Parish film/s for George baptism/ birth quite recently. But they did say there are other Registers for places close to Selby. I then contacted the Borthwick, who have suggested working out from Selby, once all the surrounding Selby Registers are checked.

What I have done now, is contacted the Selby Local History Society for George Hood's 1845 burial, perhaps they'll have local burial knowledge, in addition to local access that can help me on this one.

I'm afraid I can't find this John Hood 1819 burial image on Ancestry Institution either, that has been mentioned.

Perhaps, I should join Find My Past?

I have quite a bit of Hood stuff at Selby, back in the early 1700s (1717 & 1732) which links those Hood's to Wistow, Selby. The Hood name is mentioned in 1379 at Wistow / Wystowe, according to a 19th Century book by W. Wheater and he mentions Hud in the field names and the Hudd and Hood variants.

Wheater's book is based on transcribed extracts of the 1711 writings of Storr, who recorded the information for the Arch Bishop of York.

Wistow only had Baptims and Marriages. Apparently Burials went elsewhere.

Thanks Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 24 August 15 19:55 BST (UK) »
???

http://scs.statementdigital.com/uploads/selby_civic_society/files/QuakerBurialGroundqr.pdf

Thanks, I am asking the Selby History Society, more about this.

One thing, starting this thread, has confirmed that there was no record online, to suggest where George Hood was buried. I will now wait and see what Selby Local History Society come up with.

According to two other family Hood branches online, George Hood's approximate 1780s and circa 1795 birth date is as far, as they have got back. I even recognise their trees until they branch off.

George Hood's son was John Hood and his son was George Hood died 1885 known to us as a Freemason. We knew in one of the other branch/arms, that one became a Minister and this is in the Census.

Orally, we originate from Selby, but my Grandfather was Aircrew Air Observer in Bomber Command and was accidentally killed by the air defences over Southampton, UK, when returning from an Op. My Grandmother moved house and our part of the family records sadly disappeared.

Fortunately, some of the other family records, were in the possession of my Grandfather's brother and these passed to his son, who kindly photocopied their part of the family records, including all the correspondence about the aircrash, after some months the Air Ministry admitted the defences were involved. It is listed in a 'Friendly' file.

Kind regards Mark

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 24 August 15 20:02 BST (UK) »
I think I misread an earlier post when I thought Mark had asked the Borthwick to do a Parish Register search.  If no request was made, this needs a visit to the Borthwick to look at the Selby Abbey  Burial Register of 1845.  I'm a bit busy this week, but could drop-in one evening next week  and have a quick look (no parking fees on an evening  ;)  Selby Library and FH Group records are sparse.  The FH Group will ask if any member has Hood as part of their research

Goughy
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 24 August 15 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Goughy

Thank you. The main reason why the George Hood September 1845 burial (died Selby 18 September 1845) entry might be useful, is the entry may give additional information about G.H., and hopefully a graveyard location and a surviving headstone may possibly give information or even a birth date regarding G.H., hopefully leading to his birth record. Although, if you find the burial on film, details to which cemetery it relates and a photocopy would be great, please.

Atkinson, Selby
Just noticed your interest is Atkinson, Selby. On p.283 in W. Wheater's book "The History of the Parishes of Sherburn and Cawood, with Notices of Wistow, Saxton, Towton &c." (also downloadable for free from British Library) p.283, printed from extracts of W. Storr's Journal (written early 18th Century) there is a list of "Names of Fields, Places &c., in Wistow" one is called "Atkinson's croft". Also on page 284 under "Owners and Tennants of Lands in Wistow, 1711-2" is a reference to "Atkinson, m."

It is the Second Edition that deals with Wistow.

I can scan the cover and two pages into a colour pfd and email?

Regards Mark