Author Topic: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 1  (Read 66006 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 12:01 BST (UK) »
Could be coincidence and needs more searching for more info.

Richard Hood son of John and Elizabeth Hood Scarborough  bapt 1766 ?

Richard Hood age 24 (B 1770) X Elizabeth  aged 20 fathers name William Hale intent to marry 23rd April 1794 bond allegation

Richard  Hood  1770  1794  Stamford Bridge  - of Scarborough PC X Elizabeth  Willifold

Timeline

John Hardcastle Jackson age 21 X  Ann Hood age 20 Father Richard Hood - 8th July 1818 by intent of Bond allegation York.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NXZ3-M9S

John Hardcastle Jackson father Richard X  Ann Hood  - 11th July 1818 were married Catton near York

1822 trades

Cooper

George Hood Wren Lane
--
Tanners and Leather Dressers

Richard Jackson Gowthorpe

-------------------------
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=dBBKAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA1238&lpg=PA1238&dq=john+hardcastle+jackson&source=bl&ots=lbjc52-l6U&sig=YPMf2qCiz3Vyh7E8XeKEM9cX6J4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDAQ6AEwA2oVChMIprvnmceuyAIVA3k-Ch0mrwdA#v=onepage&q=john%20hardcastle%20jackson&f=false

---------------------------------------------------------------
1829 Trades

Cooper- George Hood Wren Lane
--
Tanners and Leather Dressers

John Jackson Gowthorpe
  -----------------------
1834 Trades

-No Cooper -  George Hood Wren lane

--

Tanners,

•Hood George, Gowthorpe
•Jackson Mary, Gowthorpe

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 12:21 BST (UK) »
Ann Hood (and her sister Sarah) were baptised in Catton 1797 parents Richard & Elizabeth.  Richard was a Merchant at Stamford Bridge
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 13:13 BST (UK) »
Ann Hood (and her sister Sarah) were baptised in Catton 1797 parents Richard & Elizabeth.  Richard was a Merchant at Stamford Bridge

Bond allegation 1818 (find my past free stuff) say Ann Hood came from Stamford bridge intended parish to marry Catton

River Derwent runs through Catton also Stamford Bridge and was navigable from the river Ouse that runs through Selby and York.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 13:57 BST (UK) »
Could be coincidence and needs more searching for more info.

Richard Hood age 24 (B 1770) X Elizabeth Willifold aged 20 fathers name William Hale intent to marry 23rd April 1794 bond allegations

Marriage Licence gives Richard's residence Stamford Bridge, Elizabeth Williford residence as Scarborough and intended place of marriage Scarborough

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 14:17 BST (UK) »
Burial of Elizabeth Hood wife of Richard 6 March 1805 Catton

And then there is this Marriage Licence:

Richard Hood (B 1772) residence Stamford Bridge License date 7 April 1810 intended place of marriage St Lawrence York to Charlotte M Abel residence York 

Burial of Charlotte Margaret Hood burial 1840 Catton

Looking at Census returns Richard Hood born 1772 (Seed & Wine & Spirit Merchant)  is married to a Caroline Helen!  Richard's birth place is given as LEVEN, Yorkshire.  Caroline Helen died 1871.  Richard buried Catton 27 March 1862

EDIT:  No George birth in LEVEN on line

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Goughy

Can you find anything on this John Hardcastle Jackson as occupation

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 15:30 BST (UK) »
I'm struggling to find John Hardcastle Jackson on 1841 Census.  He was buried in Catton 21 Feb 1849 (no occupation given).  His son's baptism (his namesake) I can't read the occupation, he was living in Scoreby.    Records on line suggest he was born in Pontefract.

Witnesses at his marriage were:

Elizabeth Jackson                  Wells Hood
Sarah Jackson                       Thomas Hood
Burton Richardson                 Susanna Hood

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 21:37 BST (UK) »
Make what you will of this ? (Just posting as I find stuff now! It may mean something later or not)

Question:- Why did a George Hood a Cooper (a joiner cum blacksmith barrel maker) Wren Lane suddenly become a Tanner of Gowthorpe Selby with Jackson's and Hartley families
--------------------------------------
Another connection with the Jacksn Tanners of Selby

◦FAITH ARUNDALE

Fifth Daughter of Matthew and Ann Arundale

Father = Matthew Arundale of Selby, Tanner, son of John Arundale of Selby aforesaid, Tanner, by Elizabeth his wife, daughter of William Stabbart of Selby aforesaid, Blacksmith

Mother = Ann daughter of John Jackson of Selby, Joiner, by Faith his wife, daughter of William Boan of Selby, Labourer

ADDRESSES:
 Selby, Yorkshire (30 July & 03 August 1784)

http://quarlton.co.uk/ruth/tng/getperson.php?personID=I1164&tree=tree1

---------------------------------------------------------------
George Hood's son James moved to Derbyshire. ?

Page 048c (140,164,H929.2/140)

http://www.wirksworth.org.uk/Inc-045.htm

JACKSON of Low Ackworth near Pontefract W[est] R[iding] Yorkshire

01 John JACKSON of Low Ackworth tanner he is believed to have come from
   Beverley died the 8 Dec 1810 aet 49 leaving a widow & 9 children
02 Ann HUNTINGSHIRE died at Dronfield Co Derby
03 Richard JACKSON of Ackworth after of Selby tanner
   He died Apr 11 1821 aet 31 years
04 Mary COLE of Ackworth died 9 Dec 1869 aet 85 bur Selby cemetary aet

~~~~~~~~---

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NRQN-L9Y

John Hardcastle Jackson     
 Gender     Male     
 Christening Date     25 Sep 1796     
 Christening Place     PONTEFRACT,YORK,ENGLAND     
 Father's Name    William Jackson 

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Goughy and dobfarm

Regarding the change of occupation from Cooper to Tanner/Brewer. George Hood, a Cooper who married Sarah Russel at Selby in 1815 and died Selby 18 September 1845, apparently had eight children and according to the six found on the 1841 Census, John Hood was a Brewer at Wren Lane with George Hood (Jun'r):-

William Hood, baptised Selby 17 May 1816
John Hood, age given as 25 in 1841 was a Brewer (my 3 X Gt Grandfather), baptised Selby 06 June 1819
Mary Hood, baptised Selby 03 January 1822
George Hood, baptised Selby 20 May 1824
Richard Hood, circa 1826
James Hood, circa 1828
Ellen Hood, circa 1832
Sarah Hood, circa 1835

Searching Ancestry electronically and going through two parts of the Selby 1841 Census page by page, I cannot find William Hood or Richard Hood. Also two Hood offspring were omitted in Wren Lane, as they appear to be added at the end of one of the Selby parts by the Enumerator.

However, two offspring William and Richard Hood, of George Hood, the Cooper and Sarah Russel are still currently missing in the 1841 Selby Census?
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=732366.msg5774293#msg5774293
(Couldn't post on Census Lookup, as it would not allow me to attach anything)

Found a third Yorkshire newspaper Deaths entry (by searching 'Deaths' and then the column in each newspaper from the 19th to the end of September 1845) for George Hood, Tanner, Selby, in the York Herald 20th Sept, again giving his age as 63 years.

A possible birth/ baptism for George Hood is in October 1781 at Topcliffe by Thirsk, to Joseph Hood and Ellen Spence? But still absolutely nothing to link my George Hood to Topcliffe and nothing in the Yorkshire Parish Register Society Selby Transcriptions, which I have purchased to suggest George Hood was born Selby.

I am currently trying to get a price to get Topcliffe Birth/Baptism Register copies of the Hood/Spence children. However it would seem that they were probably either dead or elsewhere by the 1841 Census, after attempting an 1841/1851 Census search? George Hood in 1841 at Selby is a possible child of theirs?

I presume George Hood's son/s got into Tanning and Brewing and the Coopering was dropped. I always understood Leeds to the West of Selby was a shoe manufacturing town and tanned leather would be in great demand.

Thanks for your input.

Mark