Author Topic: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 1  (Read 66009 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845
« Reply #108 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Dobfarm

George was born in same County on the 1841 Census and age written could either be 50 or a 58, occupation Brewer. I noticed a few older ages in Yorkshire generally in 1841 are not rounded.

Sarah Russell did sign her own name on the 1815 parish marriage register.

John Hood buried 4 April 1819 aged 82.

George Hood of Selby was 28 on the 16 May 1815 document when he makes a sworn Oath and Sarah Russel is 21 and upwards of the same place. The 16th May 1815 document where he makes the standard (printed) £200 and now Licensed has no age given.

They don't marry until 18 July 1815, when they are married by Licence, by John Turner, Curate and George's age is entered as 28.

George Hood died 18 September 1845 and aged 60 on the Death Certificate (from Selby Registry Office, so not a scan of the original entry) and three Newspaper Deaths, give his age as 63 years.

Thanks Mark

EDIT: if 63 years at Death was correct, then the 1781 Birth/Baptism of George Hood to Joseph Hood and Ellen Spence, Topcliffe, is a possibility?

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 16:04 BST (UK) »
Best check to see the occupation and his wealth of father Joseph Hood in any resources or Will/probate
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 16:54 BST (UK) »
The baptism in 1781 Topcliffe gives "Joseph Hood of Asenby, Labourer son of Joseph Hood of Melmerby Farmer and Ellen Spence dau of George Spence Burneston, Taylor"

I too have had a "lets get back to basics moment"  George and Sarah's children are:

William b 1816
John b 1819
Mary b 1822
George b 1824
Richard b 1826
James b 1828
Ellen b 1830
Sarah b 1835

Now, if they named their children, as most did at that time after father's mothers etc., somewhere in there could possibly be the names of George's parents.  Sarah's father was William,  a Sailor.  What was her mother's names and did she have any brother or sisters?  Just to try and eliminate some names.  Acknowledge not a foolproof way, but sometimes leads to something.  We also have to acknowledge that not all baptisms are "on line" and some Parish Registers are damaged or no longer exist. BTs on line are not always a "true" record (unfortunately) and there is no substitute at looking at the actual records. 

Goughy
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 20:44 BST (UK) »
I think the Topcliffe George was the sergeant in the army.

From familysearch I notice John Hood and Elizabeth Spencer wife of John, block baptised 3 boys in one session in 1766 being  Richard, William and Christopher (Unless triplets ) and being a mariner that makes sense.

Therefore if Sarah of London was John Hood's 2nd wife did they baptise George years after his birth with other children.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Thursday 15 October 15 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Goughy and Dobfarm

Thank you very much for all your comments.

I have been looking at the July 1815 Marriage announcement in the newspaper for George Hood (my 4 times Gt Grandfather) and it was apparently only in The Hull Packet, newspaper. Of course, The Hull Packet may have had an Agent at Selby.

However, if George Hood's family were from one of these Hood clusters North of York:-
a) Yafforth-Ellerbeck-Osmotherley-Thimbleby (Northallerton area)
b) Burneston-Sutton Howgrave-Baldersby-Topcliffe-Sessay (between Ripon and Thirsk)
c) Kirby Hill-Milby-Boroughbridge-Langthorpe (Ripon to Knaresborough area)

then I would have thought that the York newspapers, such as the York Herald or Yorkshire Gazette would have been the newspaper to announce the Marriage event?

In February 1830 Skipwith Hall 5 miles from Selby was being let by a Mr Hood from Nettleham Hall, near Lincoln and according to family notices in newspapers the Hoods at Yafforth Hall and Yafforth Lodge were also linked to Hood of Nettleham Hall. However, bear in mind, I have nothing to suggest my George Hood was linked to the Nettleham Hood's who had apparently migrated to Yorkshire. Their connections/interests in Yafforth and Skipwith (early 19th Cent.), near Northallerton and Selby must have changed hands later. It seems Nettleham Hall near Lincoln burnt down in the 1930s and only basic records and photocopies survive.

Back to the Hull area, when George Hood (my 4 x Gt Grandfather), son John Hood (who took on the Selby Tannery interests) got married 16 August 1846 at St Mary's Church in the Parish of Sculcoates, Yorks, to Sarah Richardson, she was already expecting George Hood (my Two times Gt Grandfather, who was born 1 January 1847 at Selby). The Richardsons were very popular at Selby and I had always assumed that perhaps she had been bannished to the Parish of Sculcoates.

On the GRO Certificate, the residence at the time of Marriage for John Hood, Tanner, Batchelor was the Parish of Selby and Sarah Richardson, Spinster, was the Parish of Sculcoates 16 August 1846. Of course Miss Sarah Richardson could still be living with the Richardson family, on her own, or with a Hood family member in the Parish of Sculcoates.

However, after considering the George Hood (my 4 times Gt Grandfather's) 1815 marriage announcement, which only seems to be in The Hull Packet newspaper, I began wondering if Sarah Richardson was residing temporary with a Hood in the Parish of Sculcoates to conceal her pregnancy. Once John Hood (my 3 times Gt Grandfather) married Sarah Richardson at Sculcoates, they obviously were together and back in Selby for the birth of my 2 x times Gt Grandfather George Hood on 1st January 1847.

George Hoods on 1851 Census, which can be Ruled Out
I have downloaded 4 pages of the 1851 Census for the following George Hoods:-
Appleton le Street 1851, George Hood, Head, Marr (Ann Hood wife 77), 73, Agricultural Labourer, born Sutton Howgrave, Yorks.
Cawton 1851, George Hood, Head, Widower, 71, Ag'l La'br, born Sessay, Yorks.
Thimbleby 1851, George Hood, Head, Widower, 60, Farm Labourer, born Baldersby, Yorks.
Langthorpe 1851, George Hood, Head, Widower, 60, Farmer, 69 acres and 4 Labourers, born Milby, Yorks.

Regards Mark

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Thursday 15 October 15 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the Hull Packet announcement, my great grandparents diamond wedding was reported in the Hull Daily Mail in 1933 and lived in Riccall with no connection to Hull.     

It may perhaps,  for the purposes of elimination, be worth considering a trawl of the Scarborough Parish Records - (very few on line at the moment) and held at East Riding Archives, Beverley.

Goughy
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Thursday 15 October 15 10:38 BST (UK) »
So far the Scarborough to Selby link! is Maudlin Hood and Captain John Hood, (No positive proof George Hood d 1845 as yet was the same family of Hood's of Scarborough) being the navigation of the river Ouse and the North sea the common link and same with Selby to Hull/York as newspapers.

With George having a few bob (money), them Hall links with Lincolnshire seem interesting.

Though its far out of my area range to visit, maybe a look at deeds index at Beverley archives for any George deeds pre 1815 in the East riding. Post a request on the East Riding board as someone may live near the archives - worth a try.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Friday 16 October 15 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Goughy and dobfarm

Thank you for your comments. Yes I agree, the only way for me to nail this now, is for us to visit some archives and libraries in Yorks. My hobby is local history, as our housing estate and surrounding fields are on two ancient Manors.

Collinson to Elly - Ann Elly, Spinster of the City of York and George Hood of Selby
The second Deed, now being re-read indicates Petre [Lord of the Manor], has apparently sold the property called Ousegate to James Collinson of Selby and a William Collinson and George Hood of Selby and Ann Elly, a Spinster of the City of York and Edward [?] of Selby.

Selby was a Manor, so I'm thinking of tracing surviving Manorial Mss too, as it seems George is involved in purchasing parts of the Manor, with others, in the early 18th Century sell-off, of parts.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Friday 16 October 15 17:17 BST (UK) »
I think the Topcliffe George was the sergeant in the army.

From familysearch I notice John Hood and Elizabeth Spencer wife of John, block baptised 3 boys in one session in 1766 being  Richard, William and Christopher (Unless triplets ) and being a mariner that makes sense.

Therefore if Sarah of London was John Hood's 2nd wife did they baptise George years after his birth with other children.

Hello dobfarm and Goughy

****STOP PRESS****

Yes, Spencer is almost certainly the key and I believe you are right, I am most pleased at both your continuing efforts and contributions to my post, also to BumbleBee for the 1819 John Hood Parish Register entry!!

Managed to find photographs, of the actual 1795 Selby Land Tax Records on Ancestry and the part for the town says this, for "Mr Hood" an Occupier:-

Proprietor          Occupier
M' Spencer        1st Ten'mt  Mr Hood
                            2nd ----------   -------------

In 1795 Mr Hood was occupying at least one of two Tenements in Selby, owned by a Spencer.

I'll ask for a Will search for Spencer and apply for a copy, if no Will, definitely a Deeds search and application in the name of Spencer.

I'll let you know, what I uncover!

Many, many thanks Mark