Author Topic: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 1  (Read 65988 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845
« Reply #171 on: Saturday 07 November 15 20:49 GMT (UK) »

1861 Matilda Vincent Hood (born March Qtr, but not on 1861 Census? Died 1862) - Where in 1861 Census??

Matilda Vincent Hood registered March Quarter 1861. IGI - apparently daughter of:- Hood and Emily Vincent born in the March 1861 Qtr. Baptised later at Drax 5 June 1861, died in 1862 (Birth Cert ordered).

Hi Mark

Matilda Vincent Hood was the illegitimate daughter of Emily Vincent Hood (transcribed on 1861 census "Mittilda")  Emily Vincent Hood was the daughter of Samuel Hood born Circa 1816 Ditchingham, Norfolk and wife Sarah born circa 1815, Colton, Nofolk.  Samuel was a Farm Baliff living in Long Drax in 1861 Census.  He seemed to move around a lot.

Hello Goughy

Thank you.

This use of the surname 'Vincent' in Matilda Vincent Hood, is possibly a coincidence and may not relate to my Hood's living at Selby.

I have made some slight changes to my post, as I had one at the wrong street in Selby, per Census.

Kind regards Mark

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Saturday 07 November 15 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Long Drax comes under the Selby Registration District, so the Birth Registration you found in 1861 and Death in 1862 for Matilda Vincent Hood refers to the Hood family living in Long Drax, the family originating in Norfolk. 
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Sunday 08 November 15 10:16 GMT (UK) »

1858 John Wilkinson Hood (James Hood was Son-in-Law of 'Head' Mary Wilkinson, but James wife was nee Arundel)?

James Hood was Son-in-Law of Mary Wilkinson, per Census.

Sarah Arundel was the illegitimate daughter of Mary Arundel who married John Wilkinson, therefore Mary Wilkinson is the mother-in-law of James.   Sarah Arundel is living with John and Mary Wilkinson in 1851 Census (may be he was Sarah's father, or just brought her up as his "daughter")

Hello Goughy

Thanks for this explanation (quoted) as to why one of the Grandchildren of George Hood (senior) of Selby was carrying the surname Wilkinson for his middle name.

Because 'Russell' (the maiden name of Sarah Russel, the wife of George Hood of Selby, senior) has been used apparently, as the middle surname of one Grandchild, it leaves me wondering whether the middle surname 'Cook' and 'Pearson' may eventually help to confirm the lineage back from George Hood of Selby (senior), when his circa 1780s birth place and September 1845 burial place, are eventually discovered.

Perhaps George Hood's father, was possibly the same Sailor father John Hood of Selby and Scarborough who was father of Maudland Hood born Scarborough and Maudland Hood (alias Mordland) who married at Selby in November 1794.

I am especially looking forward to receiving the 1851 Marriage Cert of George Hood's eldest son William Hood (baptised 1816) of Selby, at the Scarborough Register Office (according to December newspaper entries) to see if there is any Scarborough area address and other unknown Hood witnesses, who may be still alive in the 1841 & 1851 Census, or other documents.

Also the Birth Cert of Bernard Pearson Hood (internet source suggests he was James Hood's and nee Sarah Arundel's son) born in the Scarborough District, for the location/place and household (hopefully a Hood household) as I expect the GRO "Scarbro' District" had a large coverage.

As I have found in the London Times and another newspaper two separate property sales of farms in the Scarborough locality occupied (Tenanted) by a John Hood.

I have been having my hour at the Library, when I can get there, to download more 1851 Census pages of Hoods at, or born Scalby, Osgodby, Cloughton, Brompton and noted my IGI sheets of Christenings for Kirby Misperton and aforementioned places, also containing Hoods.

dobfarm mentioned one John Hood of Scarborough marrying and you mentioned that he was a farmer.

I am hoping to get some 18th Century 'Hood' Baptisms, Marriages and Burials copies soon for Scarborough, locality etc.

Yes, the GRO District of Selby is a large District, including many Parishes.

Thanks and kind regards, Mark

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Sunday 08 November 15 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark

I thought it would be useful to just put down James and Sarah's  family for "tracking purposes"

Mary Ellen Hood b Selby 1853
Elizabeth Cook Hood b Selby 1854
Adeline Hood b Selby 1855
Sarah Hood b Selby 1856
John Wilkinson Hood b Selby 1858
William Russell Hood b Selby 1861
James Alfred Hood b Sunderland  1863
George Arundel Hood b 1866 Selby
Bernard Pearson Hood b 1870 Scarborough

In the 1871 Census, Mary Ellen Hood is staying with a Dobson family in Bowling, Bradford and is stated as "cousin".  The head of household is Thomas Duckworth Dobson b 1829 Wakefield  and his wife Mary Ann b 1833 London, Middlesex.  Thomas Duckworth Dobson married Mary Ann Bateman in 1855 in Selby.

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Sunday 08 November 15 19:06 GMT (UK) »

Also the Birth Cert of Bernard Pearson Hood (internet source suggests he was James Hood's and nee Sarah Arundel's son) born in the Scarborough District, for the location/place and household (hopefully a Hood household) as I expect the GRO "Scarbro' District" had a large coverage.

In case you did not know, James and Sarah Hood and family,  along with Mary Wilkinson were living in Scarborough on the 1871 Census and Bernard Pearson Hood is listed as their son.

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Sunday 08 November 15 19:24 GMT (UK) »

I am especially looking forward to receiving the 1851 Marriage Cert of George Hood's eldest son William Hood (baptised 1816) of Selby, at the Scarborough Register Office (according to December newspaper entries) to see if there is any Scarborough area address and other unknown Hood witnesses, who may be still alive in the 1841 & 1851 Census, or other documents.

Looking at 1841/1851 Census, I would guess William Hood and Jane Casson married in Scarborough because Jane's mother Mary and her brother Alfred were both living in Scarborough.  The Casson family were Quakers.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Monday 09 November 15 23:49 GMT (UK) »

Looking at 1841/1851 Census, I would guess William Hood and Jane Casson married in Scarborough because Jane's mother Mary and her brother Alfred were both living in Scarborough.  The Casson family were Quakers.

Hello Goughy

Thank you. After reading your last two comments and seeing James Hood and family at Scarborough in the 1871 Census earlier today, I have the suspicion that two of the Certificates ordered will be of little use, in finding any new possible Hood family relatives residing at Scarborough.

William Hood of Selby, baptised 1816 Selby, does appear to have become a Quaker, because his death, aged 54 in 1870 appears in "The Annual Monitor" listing the Obituaries of the Society of Friends. Despite checking, there is no detailed obituary for William Hood, Selby. However, there is some detailed information for a few selected members, so worth checking by the family researcher.

I did wonder if William's wife was possibly a Quaker and if the motivation for the marriage at Scarborough was linked to his wife, so thanks for the suggestion. I am not now, very hopeful that unknown Scarbro' Hood relatives will appear on William Hood's Marriage Certificate.

On John Hood's August 1846 Marriage Certificate to Sarah Richardson at Sculcoates, both the Witnesses were Richardsons! Although, it did confirm I had got the right marriage, as John Hood was from Selby and a Tanner.

Using the Census (before they were online) and street directories at Record Offices, ordering the death, marriage and birth at each stage, I was able to track my family line back to Selby Yorks, via addresses in Leicester, Bowdon, Cheshire and Greater Manchester, with the minimum of Certificates, back to George Hood and Sarah Russel's 1815 marriage at Selby.

Unfortunately, when first child William Hood was born in 1816, there are no parents in the Register for George Hood (father), it seems the format was changed, to less information for first child. However, when Sarah Russel was born Selby 1793 as first daughter to the Russel's, the Register gives birth/baptism dates of Sarah, her parentage with Parish and then more names, with their occupation and Parish back a further generation.

Kind regards, Mark

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 09:03 GMT (UK) »

Unfortunately, when first child William Hood was born in 1816, there are no parents in the Register for George Hood (father), it seems the format was changed, to less information for first child. However, when Sarah Russel was born Selby 1793 as first daughter to the Russel's, the Register gives birth/baptism dates of Sarah, her parentage with Parish and then more names, with their occupation and Parish back a further generation.

Hi Mark

Yorkshire Dade Parish Records (which too are sometimes a bit hit and miss in wealth of information) depended on the Curate's "attitude".  Dade style registers were from abt 1777 until the George Rose Act of 1812 introduced standardised printed registers.   I have been delving into my family history for more than 35 years and spent many an hour in Records Offices, Libraries etc.  It was a revolution when things started coming out on CD and then on-line, but there's sometimes still no substitute  for visiting Record Offices. 

Just a thought to try and tie-in the Cook and Pearson surnames, you say you have Sarah Russell's info - what information was given about her parentage, and did she have any siblings????  Sometimes going up and down the generations of parents and siblings comes up with snippets of information.

Goughy

Moderator comment: continued here
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=742805.0