Author Topic: Electoral Rolls  (Read 12853 times)

Offline Ochsenkopff

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Electoral Rolls
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 02:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Lu
Appreciate that but Bridget and Hugh Whelan do seem to be in that hard basket.
Thanks again.

Colin

Offline Ochsenkopff

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 29 August 15 06:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Lu
I'm back with what I consider possibly could be the correct Bridget Brennan/Joyce/Whelan and now Mathew but why she had eluded my wife is of some information on Ancestry Com. which is only given out if you are a member.
This is what information i can make out of it first of all they mention that Bridget Brennan was born 1820 Mayo Ireland that is about right[Father Patrick Brennan Mother Julia Jordon} died 23/4/1890
Lived with her brother Michael Brennan and sister in-law Jemima in Kings Brooklyn New York U.S.A. Census 1870 and 1880 as Bridget Mathew a widow, not in the 1860 census so it looks like she has arrived in the U.S.A. between 1856-1869 found her brother Michael and wife arriving in New York on Steamer Kangaroo 12/12/1862 Steerage Passengers but can not find Bridget under any of her married names.
What has me so interested is that they mention that Bridget Brennan came out from County Mayo on the ship in 1840 on the William Nichol which is correct.
Apparently this connection has a family Bible which could prove very interesting and also photos.

Have tried to find Bridget's marriage to this ? Mathew but no luck tried South Australia and New York also looked for a death but makes it harder when you don't have a first name.

I am hoping that you could give me some advise as what i should be doing next although I thought some of these places do give you a 14 day trial and maybe I could contact these people outright?

Thought I would let you know how I was going as you did mention that you may still do a little research for me.

My wife is excited but than she not sure what is going on poor dear.

Regards Colin

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 29 August 15 23:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with researching in the U.S.A. and nor do I have access to US records, so am unable to help you with this latest find.

Can only suggest that you maybe place a query on the USA forum here, perhaps someone there can assist further.

Good Luck.   :)

~  Lu

Offline Ochsenkopff

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 30 August 15 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Lu
Appreciated what you and others have done in supplying information, you go out of your way to help so can not ask for any more.
Have now found the marriage for Bridget Brennan/Whelan to this William Frederick Mathew in Ireland in 1857 one year after her husband died and now possible the immigration in 1859 so now i am on my way to proving I have the right person.
Thank you once again
Colin