Author Topic: John Reside "Tenant" in Rothesay 1804  (Read 3196 times)

Offline Anneatki

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Reside "Tenant" in Rothesay 1804
« on: Friday 14 August 15 11:28 BST (UK) »
Looking at the OPR for the birth of Mary Reside in 1804, her father John has the word "Tenant" after his name, one of 3 on the page. The other 22 entries have the usual trades - Seaman, Cooper, Weaver, Labourer, etc.
Does "Tenant" mean a farmer?  ??? Cheers, Anne
Aberdeenshire & The Borders, Morison/Morrison, Mitchell, Robertson, Ritchie, Youngson,Tait, Law, Pringle, Trotter

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: John Reside "Tenant" in Rothesay 1804
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 August 15 14:07 BST (UK) »
In all probability Tenant in this case referred to Tenant Farmer - although the name given doesn't appear on the list of farms at http://www.butesonsanddaughters.co.uk/farmsho.shtml

Offline Anneatki

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Reside "Tenant" in Rothesay 1804
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 August 15 00:33 BST (UK) »
Thankyou, Falkyrn!
I've saved that link to my reading list! John & his family had another two children (1806 & 1807) in Rothesay, before going back to Renfrewshire. He's still described the same way in the 1807 entry, but still have to follow up the others (ran out of credits for the time being!)
Cheers, Anne
Added : I've just realised I'm now a Rootschat Member, with 100 posts! A long way to go to catch up with some of you, but many thanks to other members who have helped since I started this "hobby"!  :-* :)
Aberdeenshire & The Borders, Morison/Morrison, Mitchell, Robertson, Ritchie, Youngson,Tait, Law, Pringle, Trotter