Author Topic: Newcastle Evening Chronicle Death Notices Lookup  (Read 15814 times)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newcastle Evening Chronicle Death Notices Lookup
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 20:07 BST (UK) »
I think its £38 for a headstone location. He is direct family 3rd ggf of Mrs B

wow, though I realise that they have more pressing duties and councils are strapped for cash, that is  LONG way from the help and conversations I received back in 2008 when we were living in Canada and I emailed them asking about a burial. I got amazing help and no charge whatsoever.

2nd suggestion (as the first seems to have failed on financial grounds, it would have failed for me too at that price).
I'd try a lookup request in here for a specific lookup of Gateshead East Records at Tyne and Wear Archives.
As Granda used to tell me, Shy Bairns get Nowt - a request may not pay off but IF someone is going and IF they have a spare 10 mins, armed with the death and burial dates its not a huge task to look at the microfilm and you may find someone willing and able to help. That would give you the section and plot number as a start.

Boo

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 20:11 BST (UK) »
Ha! ha!  :D I have just realised  the error that inadvertently transcribed in my post.  This did make me laugh😂 I have now corrected this - there was no internet in those days.  Sorry for the blip bramhallbill. ;)

and I am giggling here.
It has been a wish of mine , for some time, that the afterlife will have a good internet connection. That way once I have interrogated my ancestors who currently are refusing to be found in the records, I can publish my findings on the internet for my family. :-)

Boo

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 13 April 17 09:22 BST (UK) »
Interment at Gateshead Cemetery on Thursday: lift at 3. 

The term 'lift at 3' meant that that was the time the coffin would be taken (lifted) from the house before the funeral.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Philip Thomas Crook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 06 March 20 16:32 GMT (UK) »
If you look in the Tyne and Wear Archieves in Newcastle they hold burial records.

John Robson buried at Gateshead East Cemetery on 4th January 1900. Also his wife was buried at the same cemetery on 26th November 1885. They both are buried in section G of the cemetery  and both share the same gravestone. I went to have a look but cannot be found.

I would ask the Gateshead council but they charge you £35 per person.

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 06 March 20 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Philip
https://www.gateshead.gov.uk/article/2852/Fees-and-charges

That page says searches for siblings/children/parents/grandparents are free.

As you already know the section and plot number, I would think you could enquire about the existence of a gravestone. I think sometimes stones are removed if they are unsafe?

Worth an email anyway, if its something they can help with I am sure they will, if they have to make a charge then they'll tell you that and you can either leave it or not as you choose.

As an aside, since this thread is a couple of years old, you may be interested to know that Family Search have images of a lot of the burial registers from Gateshead East - and they are my favourite price of free, plus no travelling to the archives for those who don't live in the area :-)

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/825277?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Boo