Author Topic: Richard Scotter (1930 - 1942), drowned in 'The Mill Stream'  (Read 1738 times)

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Scotter (1930 - 1942), drowned in 'The Mill Stream'
« on: Friday 14 August 15 15:54 BST (UK) »
Richard was one of my grandmother's cousins and his body was found on 18th August 1942 in The Mill Stream in Ringwood.  He lived at Oak Tree Cottage in Poulner.

His death certificate records Misadventure and cause of death as drowning whilst bathing and only able to swim a few strokes in deep water.  There was an Inquest on 19th August 1942 held by H M Coroner Percy B Ingoldby.

Initially, on the chance there is someone local on here  ;D, is The Mill Stream the one that is now called 'Bickerley Millstream'? and secondly as it was a 12 year old child who tragically drowned, is there any information likely to be elsewhere?  (newspapers, held coroner's records etc)

Thanks
Ruth
Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)
John (South Wales)
Pearce (South Wales)

Offline cemetery friends

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Scotter (1930 - 1942), drowned in 'The Mill Stream'
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 August 15 07:06 BST (UK) »
Coroner's Inquest records are "closed" to public examination for a set number of years and are subject to selective removal during that period if they wish to reduce storage to off load some "everyday" cases. Records have to be kept for 15 years but only 10% have to be retained as a sample for historical interest. Those are then passed to the [Hampshire] Record Office at Winchester who then keep them "closed" for 75 years.

Local newspapers are the best source but you may find that little more than what you have on the death certificate is recorded although probably in a case such as your own it may mention who discovered the child and whether a doctor or ambulance was called. The area newspaper Southern Evening Echo [now called Daily] is probably on microfilm at larger libraries for example Central Library, Civic Centre, Southampton. Other papers possibly Hampshire Chronicle or Romsey Advertiser, try ringing Ringwood Library 0300 555 1387 to ask if they have any newspapers on microfilm. Library staff are very helpful but with the ongoing cuts to staff and closures you may need to visit personally or engage a researcher as their resources are often stretched.
Avery [Wembury]
Skilton [Hooe, Turnchapel, Plymstock and Coxside Plymouth]
Williams [Plymstock/Oreston]
Maritime subjects inc Titanic, HMS Hardy, HMS Thetis [submarine]
UK cemetery conservation
Cholera
Victorian social history

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 August 15 07:57 BST (UK) »
Do not think Romsey Advertiser covers Ringwood - and it is closed on Saturdays, so cannot ask.

Echo or Chronicle better options.

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kit No: B303763
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 August 15 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth

If you get anywhere with Ringwood Library, let me know, as I live in Ringwood, and would be happy to look it up next time I'm in the library.  Do you know if he was buried in Ringwood?
McLeod, McKean, Hepburn (Fife)
McGowan, Gowan (Dumfriesshire, Ireland)
Nelson, McKean (Lanarkshire)
McKean, Mulgrew (Lethbridge, Alberta)
Boswell, Plumb, Lyon, Stokes, Pemberton, Crawford, Threadgold (Cheshire)
Tierney (Scotland/Ireland)

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 August 15 13:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you all  :)

I will give the newspapers a call in the week and see what I can come up with

Terri - thank you for the offer and yes, if I do turn up something, that would be fantastic if you could.  I have no idea where he was buried.  Could well be Ringwood but I don't know at this stage.  The family were quite well off, connected to India, and its been a while trying to dig out what happened to Richard.  The family story was he died in India as a toddler, albeit also drowning, so I had put him to one side for a moment and then found the death registration. 

His address at death was Oak Tree House in Poulner which I think may now be a B&B?!
Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)
John (South Wales)
Pearce (South Wales)

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kit No: B303763
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 September 15 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hello again Ruth

I was in the Ringwood Library today, and managed to find out that Richard was buried in the town.  His inscription is as follows:-  "SCOTTER Richard youngest son died 18th August 1942 aged 12 years"

He is buried at Hightown Road cemetery, plot W103 G.  I photographed a plan of the cemetery, and am hoping to get over there at some point to see what condition the headstone is in.  There were no other Scotters listed in the Memorial Inscription file that I looked in.  The only SCOTTER I can see anywhere local is a death entry for Winifred Alice Scotter born 19 August 1891, died q.4 1976 in Ringwood & Fordingbridge.

There was a file on the Bickerley at the Library which had quite a bit about the history.  I photographed a couple of pages, which I would be happy to forward to you, if you want to PM me with your email address.

By the way, I don't know if you heard back from the library, but I couldn't see newspaper microfiche. 

Terri
McLeod, McKean, Hepburn (Fife)
McGowan, Gowan (Dumfriesshire, Ireland)
Nelson, McKean (Lanarkshire)
McKean, Mulgrew (Lethbridge, Alberta)
Boswell, Plumb, Lyon, Stokes, Pemberton, Crawford, Threadgold (Cheshire)
Tierney (Scotland/Ireland)

Offline stockman fred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just catching up on old Ringwood threads! we live at the farm that was Hurst Farm in 1942, and the main course of the River Avon was known, and marked on maps, as the Mill Stream.The town mill (Bartletts) was situated just North of the church under the course of the present A31, but it was demolished in the 1930s when the first bypass was built. The sluices are still visible and can be visited if one is feeling intrepid. The other mill on the Bickerley may also be a candidate but I think both had the Mill Stream name.