Author Topic: Richard Elvidge  (Read 1731 times)

Offline smiley56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Elvidge
« on: Friday 14 August 15 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am looking for some details with regards to a relative who was married in South Kirkby, York.I currently have the marriage banns for Richard Elvidge, born 1802 , Yorkshire West Riding , father Thomas Elvidge.He married Martha Ward, in South Kirkby, banns 10th of March 1823.Unfortunately Richard passed away on 30th June 1824.The only child to this marriage being my ancestor Sarah Elvidge, born 29th May 1823.I was wondering how I could find out how Richard died and if Martha remarried?To date my search efforts have not turned up anything.Though my knowledge of English resources is not great!!Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.I reside in Australia so rely on online records at this stage and visiting records offices in the area is not an option.
With thanks.
Smiley.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Elvidge
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 August 15 01:53 BST (UK) »
Actually the record resources for 1824 in England are not that good  :( so no surprise your knowledge is limited, I've checked newspapers for that year for accidents or inquest for young Richard and nothing is coming up. The death certificate civil registration which gave cause of death did not start till July 1837 in England and Richard being so young at death, ??? it most likely he died from fever, infection or some form of disease like typhoid that was common then due to poor sanitation. Its doubtful if he would leave a Will/probate at that age and it would not really say why he died anyway but could give a hint like, ' in full mind but weakening in body' that would imply a form of illness.

One thing about them days, the vicar would say a few words then they buried the bodys fast, even a inquest was done quick in a local pub unlike today when they need army of administrators to make a massive bill up for a couple of chaps to make a box and dig hole as it was then.

Most  parish baptisms, marriages and burials for West Riding of Yorkshire are on free ancestry.com library edition at main city /town libraries on public computer with search engine in Australia or wait till they have a free weekend usage online at home.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline smiley56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 August 15 03:48 BST (UK) »
Dobfarm
Your reply to my post was much appreciated.Also the knowledge you passed on regarding records of the time.Explains perhaps as you mentioned why I have been unable to access much information.Being Australian I am used to free access to our Trove newspaper archives, which is how I would pursue further research here given Richards early demise.Details often come up in online newspapers like tragic incidents as you suggested, which further add to the family story.I will continue to look for Martha with the hope of finding another marriage and maybe some additional half siblings for Sarah Elvidge their daughter.Once again thanks for your assistance and speedy response to my request.
Smiley.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 August 15 04:21 BST (UK) »
I'm not on Ancestry.com or Ancestry.co.uk or FindMyPast since I finished my own family tree, but I'll nip in the library here for a search of Martha's possible marriage in a day or two, unless another member comes up with a marriage for Martha.

:)
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline smiley56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 August 15 04:54 BST (UK) »
Sorry I should have explained I am on ancestry but can't seem to locate a census, marriage or death for Martha after Richards death.I'll keep at it to see what I can come up with. Might have better luck going through her family's maiden name and trying to see if she relocated.
Thanks again for your reply.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 August 15 05:10 BST (UK) »

(Suggest use-' UK census records ' of the actual 1841 census search engine !  Rather than using the general search engine on the ancestry website)

From Familysearch website below

1841 census

Name     Martha Elvidge     
 Event Type     Census     
 Event Date     1841     
 Gender     Female     
 Age     35    (B 1806)
 Birthplace     Yorkshire     
 Schedule Type     Household     
 Registration District     Pontefract     
 Sub-District     Ackworth     
 Parish     Kirkby, South (South Kirkby)   
 County     Yorkshire   

Offline pjs12

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 August 15 06:08 BST (UK) »

That Martha Elvidge does not appear to be the Martha smiley is looking for.

1841 census does not show relationship to Th's Elvidge who is listed above her. 1851 census shows Martha is the wife of Thomas Elvidge who is a farmer.

Marriage of Thomas Elvidge to Martha Robinson Shaw at All Saints, South Kirby 24/3/1825.

Guess perhaps Richard Elvidge was related to Thomas.

As smiley says he is on Ancestry he will no doubt have found the marriage of Sarah to William Gledhill at All Saints, Wakefield Cathedral, 15/11/1846

Regards,

Ian
Johnstone,Forgan,Barran,Elliott,Normington,Davies,Marshall,Longbottom,Rusby

Offline smiley56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 October 15 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian, back on the track with Richard Elvidge and noticed I hadn't replied to your post!!I'm afraid I am not too organised with family history and all over the place with searching etc.I tend to get distracted with searches for others as well, but it all certainly makes life interesting.I will now search for other siblings of Richard, and given his father was a Thomas I daresay this reference to Thomas Elvidge and Martha Robinson Shaw at South Kirkby is well worth a look to see if I can venture further with any extra hints.You have picked up on my direct line with Sarah Elvidges marriage to William Gledhill.Their son William Gledhill born Dewsbury 25 sept 1857 is my great grandfather.I am yet to get his birth certificate but it's on my to do list.I hear there is a huge wait at present for certificates through gro, and as I live n Australia that is a bit frustrating.
Thanks for your imput, I will follow up that link.
Cheers.
Erika

Offline pjs12

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 October 15 04:58 BST (UK) »

Hi Erika,

I know the feeling only too well, it's very easy to start going here there and everywhere when you find a new lead. Still you're now back on the track of Richard Elvidge so happy hunting.

Cheers,

Ian
Johnstone,Forgan,Barran,Elliott,Normington,Davies,Marshall,Longbottom,Rusby