Author Topic: Robert Fraser  (Read 4213 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Fraser
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 August 15 21:51 BST (UK) »
my 3rd great-grandfather appears to have been Robert Bruce Fraser, with his father possibly Alexander. It looks like he had a twin sister Margaret. Robert immigrated to the US sometime before 1856 (which is when he married in Illinois).

As you don't seem to be too sure of Robert's name or his father's name, can you please tell us what document's you have seen which points to this info. & why you say "appears to be" especially with a middle name  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Vicki Fraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 August 15 01:45 BST (UK) »
I have viewed on Ancestry.com:

The 1841 Scotland Census, 1850 and 1860 US Census, US Civil War Veterans Documents, and 1901 Canada Census. I have also gotten info from other member's trees, which I have to take with a grain of salt because it's sometimes hard to tell where they got the info (which is why I say "appears to be"). 

I thought it would be better to tell you when I'm not sure about something, so I don't leave you on a wild goose chase.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 August 15 02:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicky,

Thats appreciated but we ask questions in order to try to marry things together.

Trees online can be good for pointers but the documents are what confirms them so for your next step it would meed to be the marriage cert.

But I still don't understand you not knowing his name as his name must be on his childs birth, marriage & death certs.  Your 2 x g grandfather ???

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Vicki Fraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 17:54 BST (UK) »
I know his name is Robert Fraser, but I have no proof that his middle name is Bruce, because, as I've said, I got that info from other member trees.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 18:50 BST (UK) »
His child (your gg grandparent's) birth cert. will name both parents (mother & father) with father's occupation. Scottish births give date & place of parents marriage. You then need to purchase their marriage cert. to move up the ladder.

You can also look for them in census records to narrow things down regarding where they were born, approx. ages for births which would hopefully be in the same area of the 1st birth of their children.

Annie