Author Topic: Whitfield Sellings 1861  (Read 1764 times)

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whitfield Sellings 1861
« on: Saturday 15 August 15 16:25 BST (UK) »
Whitfield was baptised on 14 July 1844 at Ashburnham but the family may have been living at Burwash.  His father, James, died in 1848 buried at Burwash.  I can find Whitfield Salling from Burwash in the 1851 census living at 22 Croydon Road, St Marylebone and in 1871 at 6 Bourne Passage, Hastings but I can't find him in 1861.

The entry in 1851 is confusing as he's described as nephew but I can't place him as such with either of the two families living at the address. 

In 1861 his mother Ann Selling was living at 97 All Saint's Street, Hastings with five of his siblings.

Can anyone find him in 1861 please?

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Whitfield Sellings 1861
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 August 15 16:37 BST (UK) »
Could he have listed as William by mistake in 1861??  Living at Laura Cottage, St Mary in the Castle??

William Golding    57
Rebecca Golding 57
William Sellings    18  Boarder Milkman, Ashburnham, Sussex
RG 9 Piece 560 Folio 108 Page 23

Edit - However I see James and Ann did have a son William of this age :-\

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 August 15 16:41 BST (UK) »
Yes I wondered that because Whitfield is not a common first name so should be easy to find.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 August 15 17:39 BST (UK) »
Yes he should be easy to find but over the years I've drawn a blank.

From census records I've had a William born circa 1842 as his older sibling but I've never been able to find a baptism record for him whereas I have for Whitfield which was a family name, one of his uncles was Whitfield but there again he also had an uncle William.

The William living at Laura Cottage is the one subject to a separate posting.

I posted the wrong census year for his mother living at 97 All Saint's Street, it was 1851.

In 1851 his mother has a William living with her born circa 1843.  The other children living with her were all born in their baptism year if the ages recorded were correct so maybe for some reason Whitfield was called William on occasion and baptised in the year after his birth year.  From 1871 until his death in 1906 he was always called Whitfield in censuses and the licensee records for the three pubs he ran plus on the probate for his will.  I'm wondering if the enumerator either misheard Whitfield's name or had never come across it before and assumed it was William.

It would explain why I can't place him as a nephew to any of the people living at 22 Croydon Road, I know that neither of the wives of the families living there were my Whitfield's father James' sisters.  I suspect I need to go back to his great grandfather and trace James' uncles descendants to see if any of them had a daughter Sarah and if any of her siblings had a son William.  Bit convoluted but I can't think of any other way of eliminating the Whitfield Salling living there.  Back to SFHG baptisms at Burwash yet again!   :-\

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 August 15 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi to let you know where at least Ann and young Hannah b c 1848 Burwash were in 1861, Ann has remarried to a Thomas Woodfield
Census ref RG09/562/140/33
Keyboard86

PS also bear in mind if Whitfield is still living for instance in St Marylebone and area, the 1861 is well documented re missing census pages?
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dpurdon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 April 17 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

Whitfield sellings

James sellings married sarah parsons who died in 1837

Children
Fanny born 1833
Frances born 1835

James sellings remarried 1837 ann roberts

Children
John born 1838
James born 1840
William born 1842
Whitfield born 1844
Mary born 1846
Hannah born 1847

Father james sellings died in 1848 and ann sellings sent son whitfield to live with her sisters family in london.

Wiliiam jones married sarah roberts

So the 1851 census is right. Whitfield is the nephew.

Ann sellings remarried thomas woodfield and resided in hastings,

I am related to whitfield sellings who married jane crowhurst,
Whitfield was the uncle of your whitfield.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 April 17 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Dpurdon,

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for that information, I've not looked at this section of my ancestry since the earlier postings so I'll print off the information and look at it all in relation to the information I have on my tree and in my notes.  It certainly answers why he was in London and who he was with which I'd never been able to find out about.    :)

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 April 17 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Dpurdon,

I see now where I couldn't trace Whitfield for certain in 1851, I don't have a sister Sarah listed for his mother Ann. I have her parents as William and Lucy nee Taylor who married 17 June 1804 at Dallington and I found the following children baptised for them:
Dallington - Lucy 2 Mar 1806
Ashburnham -
  Hannah 28 Oct 1810
  William 15 Aug 1813
  Anne 12 Feb 1815
  Jane 13 Oct 1816
  Matilda 7 Nov 1819
  Mary 10 May 1821

I'm wondering if I have the wrong Ann, I'll have to check again.

I've been trying to find the Whitfield Sellings who married Jane Crowhurst and although that seems familiar I can't find any record of it in my files.  Was this the Whitfield brother of James?

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 April 17 16:25 BST (UK) »
Having checked for Sarah I found that I'd missed her as she was baptised at Heathfield Independent Chapel in 1808 of Dallington.  Strange that her older sister was baptised at Dallington but she wasn't. All subsequent children were baptised CofE at Asburnham.  One of those interesting but unsolvable family mysteries.