Author Topic: my great grandfather William Fraser  (Read 6139 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: my great grandfathef
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 August 15 12:50 BST (UK) »
The 1905 Edinburgh birth, andycand, is not her (dau. of an Alexander).

However, think I might have found Bessie's birth entry but raises more questions than answers.

Bessie Fraser Craigmyle/Owens (birth registered under both surnames) was born 25/7/1904 at Royal Maternity Hospital, Edinburgh - shown as illegitimate but both parents named, and both parents registered the birth.   Father William Fraser Craigmyle, lorryman and Mary Owens.

William Fraser was a drayman in 1911 and this would fit with a lorryman in 1904!

So, where does the name Craigmyle come from - and why was it dropped when the family moved to Newcastle?

Checked on both Scottish and English marriages and doesn't look like they actually married at all (either under Fraser or Craigmyle)!

Obviously a story here somewhere.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline catherine k

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 August 15 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hl Annette
Thank you for your information I am really puzzled now about Bessie birth also I haven't found any records of William Fraser and Mary Owens marriage I also don't know either where this other surname comes from I only found out Marys name after a birth of her youngest child Norman 1921 the only information I've got is the 1911 census which said they had been married for 10 years and William worked for Newcastle brewery's and was a drayman .and living in George street Newcastle .my grandmother was there daughter Annie born 1909 ..
Kind regards
Catherine

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 August 15 19:37 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, people often put they'd been married ...years on 1911 census when no actual marriage ever took place, as various queries posted here can testify.   Causes umpteen problems to those tracing their family history as you yourself have found.

Without goings into all the ins and outs at this stage, I can tell you that William Craigmyle seems to have given himself the name Fraser.

His parents were a George Craigmyle (bc.1843 Logie Coldstone, Aberdeenshire) who married (as Craigmile) Isabella Anderson on 2/6/1866 Old Machar, Aberdeenshire.   They had the following children:

James b.3/2/1868 Tarland, Aberdeenshire
Betty (Elizabeth 1881 census, Bessie 1901 census) born 1871 Tarland
George b.25/1/1873 Lumphanan, Aberdeenshire
Ann (or Annie) b.1875 Tullynessle and Forbes, Aberdeenshire
Bella (or Isabella) b.1877           ditto
William Charles (??) born 4/6/1878     ditto
Joseph Anderson born 23/10/1881 Aboyne, Aberdeenshire

Think mother Isabella died 1885 Coull, Aberdeenshire as George is a widower in 1891 (at Aboyne) and 1901 (in Coull).

William (always as plain William) with family in 1881 and 1891 but the only entry I can find on 1901 census is a William F. Craigmilne aged 23, a Carter, in Leith, Midlothian (just outside Edinburgh) but he states born Alford, Aberdeenshire.   Could this be him I wonder?   Cannot find a person with this name before 1901, nor in birth records which makes me think it might be William Fraser Craigmile/Craigmyle.   

Begs the question though as to why he'd 'adopted' the name Fraser as a second name in 1904 at Bessie's birth (and possibly by 1901 if the census entry above is him) as it doesn't seem to have been a family name as far as I can see. 

As I said before, there is obviously a story here and just wish we knew what it was.   Obviously, soon after Bessie's birth in 1904 the 3 of them moved to Newcastle where the family then became Fraser.

Just wish I could explain why.

Annette

London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline catherine k

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 August 15 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette
Thank you so much for all your information .I never thought searching for William Fraser would be so complicated However I knew something seem to be wrong as I couldent find a marriage or any of william family .and as you say people do say they are married on the census .when I find got the 1911 census it said they had been married for 10 years and Bessie was 10yrs old Edinburgh and the rest of the children William Elizabeth Jessie Annie Katy Patricia Leslie Norman were all born in Newcastle upon Tyne I think you found a few skeletons .which I know people doing family trees must find all the time .However I'm very grateful for your help also I know with my family being Irish a lot of people when they came to england changed there names to find work ect .I can't stop thinking of my grandmothers brothers having the name Fraser shocking really as my 2 cousins are Fraser when really its not there proper name .I don't think ile tell them Thanks again
Kind Regards
Catherine

Offline catherine k

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 August 15 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette
Just to say I made a mistake when I wrote Bessie age she was 7 yrs not 10 also I forgot to men another child Mary Isabella I've noticed a few of Williams children were called after his siblings Also I'm just so puzzled as to why he changed his name it is very strange there must have been a reason for this I just hope he hadent been in trouble .Anyway if you do find out I would be very grateful if you let me know as William Fraser has become very interesting
Kind Regards
Catherine

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 25 April 19 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette

Thankyou for updating me i haven't been doing much family tree the last few years my mam is poorly .However a family member Who's surname is Fraser has heard that William Fraser was not his Grandad's real surname as it was craigmyle i remember you saying he had changed it

I just wanted to make sure that was the case before i told him .as ive given up doing the Fraser family tree to complicated

But thanks again

Catherine

Posted on behalf of Catherine who sent the message to me in error.
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 25 April 19 12:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sarah - Catherine had PM'd me, I replied, and then got another PM which was just a copy of my previous reply.

Annette 
London -  Monk

Offline catherine k

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Annette 7
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 25 April 19 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette
Sorry i replied to Sarah thanks for updating me about the Frasers was just realy wanting to make sure William Fraser had changed his name from Craigmyle whatever for he must be hiding something also ive been to the Civic centre and purchased William George Craigmyle and Mary Isabella Craigmyle birth certificates. Mary Isabella death certificate is registered as Fraser she died as a child
Thanks again Catherine

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 25 April 19 16:37 BST (UK) »
Ann (or Annie) b.1875 Tullynessle and Forbes, Aberdeenshire
William Charles (??) born 4/6/1878     ditto
William (always as plain William) .... only entry I can find on 1901 census is a William F. Craigmilne aged 23, a Carter, in Leith .... but he states born Alford, Aberdeenshire.
Tullynessle and Forbes is next door to Alford and Bridge of Alford is actually in the parish of Tullynessle and Forbes.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.