Author Topic: George Liddy - Can anyone help find him emigrating from Ireland 1911-1916?  (Read 9999 times)

Offline Lookin2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Liddy - Can anyone help find him emigrating from Ireland 1911-1916?
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 23 August 15 19:02 BST (UK) »
I have not read all about Liddy info given but if it is an uncommon name have you seen the G.Gordon Liddy, Wikpedia he may come from one of your branches.  Lookin2
Howlett, Brown, Woodroofe, Mills, Battey, Woods

Offline City Hall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 23 August 15 23:37 BST (UK) »
Well I know the G of G Gordon Liddy stands for George, and I know he is of Irish ancestry, but I remember reading that his father was Sylvester James Liddy, not a name in my Liddy family.

Paul.

Offline Myrtle boat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 18:53 BST (UK) »
Browsing this today and found it fascinating as my ggfather was the John Liddy, uncle to the two sisters living with him in the 1901 census. Thanks to everyone who helped flesh out this side branch of my family.
Belfast , Liddy,
Co. Derry/ Londonderry, Lennox
Co Leitrim, Stuart
Co. Longford, Navan and Jones.,
Co. Cavan, Anderson
Colchester and Cavan Farrelly,
Fitzsimons,

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 19:40 BST (UK) »
1st time I've seen this thread & enjoyed the reading from beginning to end, well done folks, was like reading a short novel, an interesting journey!  :)

MB, I'm sure CH will be glad to learn of your twigs too   ;)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Myrtle boat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 15 August 19 17:25 BST (UK) »
There are according toMcLysaght two centers of the name Liddy in Ireland, one centered in Clare/Limerick and the other in Belfast. I have managed to track back Liddy’s in Belfast to the early 1800’s. The Cavan census fragment from 1831 also has a few families. The Belfast bunch had a lot of Paviors/pavers which seems to be a trade that went through a few generations. John Liddy who lived in Queen st north was my grandfather, his son John was my Grandfather and my father migrated to Dublin during the 1940’s and my family was raised here. The trade directories for Belfast list a number of Liddy families who shared the profession of paviors, including  The Charles mentioned by the original poster . I have often wondered about G Gordon Liddy but think perhaps he belongs to the Clare/Limerick families. I noted in some passenger lists a lot of travel to America in the 1920’s an thirties by Liddy who were listed as Pavers. So there may have been some money in it. This is just from memory, I would have to check for dates etc.
Belfast , Liddy,
Co Leitrim, Stuart
Co. Cavan, Anderson
Fitzsimons,

Offline City Hall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 16 August 19 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Myrtle, and welcome to RootsChat.
You and my wife are 3rd cousins I believe. I can tell you that one of your sets of GG grandparents were Charles Liddy and Mary Campbell.
One of my wife's Liddy line also settled in Dublin in the 1940s and was the manager of Tyler's shoe shop on O'Connell Street,beside where the Spire is now located.

Offline Myrtle boat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 16 August 19 18:08 BST (UK) »
That’s interesting. Was this the gentleman who lived in Clontarf. I believe my father stayed with this family when he came to Dublin first as his address was given when my father was commissioned in 1942. As someone who has no first cousins it is interesting to collect the more remote connections.
Belfast , Liddy,
Co Leitrim, Stuart
Co. Cavan, Anderson
Fitzsimons,

Offline City Hall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 18 August 19 11:37 BST (UK) »
It was indeed the gentleman who lived in Clontarf. And I presume you are acquainted with the gentleman who does the walking tours in Dublin? Can I ask you what you mean when you say your father was commissioned?
 You may be interested to know that one of the girls who was staying with your GGrandfather in North Queen Street in the 1901 census, Mary, emigrated to USA and married a Thomas Ryan. Their son, Thomas Gerald Ryan served in WW2 in the US forces and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.