Author Topic: Ancestors from Scotland  (Read 8420 times)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestors from Scotland
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

Seems so odd to me to marry in their own home. Is this allowed in Scotland?

Previous explanation from Forfarian -

Obviously, since it was performed according to the forms (or sometimes rites) of a church, it was a religious ceremony, but not a church ceremony. Getting married in a church is a relatively recent fashion. Until the 20th century most wedding ceremonies were held in the bride's home (I was a bridesmaid at a friend's wedding in the living room of her parents' home in 1978), or in her employer's home if she had no parental home or it was too far away for her to go home for her wedding. Sometimes the wedding was performed in the Manse, which was the home of the officiating minister. In the late 19th century people began to hold the ceremony in hotels or restaurants. Basically you could get married in any building you liked as long as you could find a priest or minister willing to perform the ceremony there.

There was no formal civil ceremony in 1910. If you wanted to get married without involving a minister or priest, you could get married by declaring yourselves to be married in front of witnesses. You could then go with your witnesses to the sheriff court and get a warrant which allowed you to have your marriage entered in the statutory civil register of marriage.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 08:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much ev.  :)

For a minute there I thought I had completely missed a reply on this thread  :)

Anyway, very interesting and obviously what happened in the case of these two generations.

You (I) learn something new everyday  :)
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 10:48 BST (UK) »
..... and thank you , Forfarian  :)

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 11:51 BST (UK) »
..... and thank you , Forfarian  :)
ev

Oh yes indeed  :)

Trouble is that the reply is from another thread and he/she will not realise how grateful I am to them for  sharing their knowledge.
Best wishes HL

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 23 August 15 02:56 BST (UK) »
The marriage image also gives details of her age and her parents names. She was born in 1915 and her parents are Walter MacKay and Margaret Mackenzie.

I've just found the image of their marriage in 1915 and they are living at.......  11 New St, Inver.

Seems so odd to me to marry in their own home. Is this allowed in Scotland?

Hiya,

I had MacKenzie cousins a few Households away at 5 New Street, age seems a bit young but there was a daughter Margaret born 1894 or 1895, perhaps the Margaret who married 1915 to Walter MacKay and had daughter Henrietta later same year? "My" Margaret had parents John MacKenzie and Margaret Ross. Do they match the parents of "your" Margaret from her 1915 marriage reg?
Primarly Coigach, but also other parts of Ross and Cromarty.

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 23 August 15 07:13 BST (UK) »
Hi  :)

Yes the parents of Margaret are John MacKenzie and Margaret Ross.

I am doing a small amount of family research for a friend and John and Margaret MacKenzie are her 2x great grandparents. Does that mean that you and my friend are cousins?

The marriage image from Scotlandspeople shows that Margaret was 20 when she married. As you said ...... quite young.

I hadn't done any Scottish research prior to last weekend and am amazed at the wealth of information contained in each of their records. Wish the English ones were the same.
Best wishes HL

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 23 August 15 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi  :)

Yes the parents of Margaret are John MacKenzie and Margaret Ross.

I am doing a small amount of family research for a friend and John and Margaret MacKenzie are her 2x great grandparents. Does that mean that you and my friend are cousins?

Yes! in brief, John MK was born 1858 at Polglass in Coigach, Parish of Lochbroom on the west coast, I have a fairly large website focused on genealogy and history of Coigach;
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~coigach

You can see John in the annotated census transcripts there by following the links to Polglass, or jump directly to;
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~coigach/polgl.htm#61-23

John's mother was Murdina MacLeod, born about 1829 and baptized 25 October, 1829 at the Coigach village of Achiltibuie (follow links in the annotated census back each 10 years and between villages)

Murdina's parents had married a few years previous, at the Coigach village of Reiff. The mother was Mary MacDonald, born about 1801. Mary's younger brother, Donald MacDonald, was a gt-gt-grandfather of mine. Similar to your friend's MacKenzie family coming east from Polglass to Inver, my gt-grandmother about 1869 came east and married a farmer, Andrew Ross, at the farm of Lower Arboll in Tarbat Parish, that farm borders Inver to the east (Inver straddles the border between Tain and Tarbat Parishes).

So, as your friend is a gt-gt-granddaughter of Margaret, we are cousins, if I count the generations correctly, fourth cousins, three times removed. Although my focus is with Coigach, with input and correction from many of your friends other distant cousins I have charted descent of our common MacDonald ancestry, 949 people, and would be happy to share data.

Donald.

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 23 August 15 14:18 BST (UK) »
BTW, I see the next younger sibling of Margaret MacKenzie, Roderick (born 29 September, 1896 at Inver, died there, index on ScotlandsPeople suggests 1979) married 8 April, 1921 at Pitmaduthy Farm in Logie Easter to Jessie Mackay, I wonder if this was a coincidence, or possibly two siblings married two siblings.

Parents of Jessie MacKay were James Mackay, a Cattleman, and another Jessie (I do not have maiden surname for her), do those names match with parents of Walter MacKay from the 1915 marriage registration?

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 23 August 15 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Donald, thank you for the link to your wonderful and extremely interesting website. I will show that to my friend as I know she will be interested too.

Working out relationships is always difficult but I come to 4th cousins, twice removed. Could be wrong of course, so we'll just say you are cousins.  :)

The 1915 marriage shows that the parents of Walter MacKay are Henry MacKay and Annie Skinner. I have yet to research further than that since I only started on her Scottish side a week ago. That is far, far behind your 30 years of research on your family.

Thank you also for the extra information about the ancestors of John MacKenzie. I'm very grateful for that and means that I have much more information about her Scottish side than I ever imagined I would have just a week ago.
Best wishes HL