Author Topic: RC Place of worship serving Closeburn  (Read 1101 times)

Offline s58roads

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RC Place of worship serving Closeburn
« on: Monday 17 August 15 08:28 BST (UK) »
I am interested in finding out where Roman Catholics living in and around Closeburn in 1814 would generally have attended for marriage, baptism etc.
Look forward to receiving any information.
Geoff
Mann, Forfar
Dalrymple, Closeburn
McPake, Carluke
Stormont, Forfar
Waterston, Forfar

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
Re: RC Place of worship serving Closeburn
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff,
In the early 1800s the nearest Catholic Church to Closeburn was St Andrew's in Dumfries town.  That probably doesn't help because it wasn't built until 1815 when it became the Cathedral Church for the whole of Galloway the Diocese.  It was destroyed by a fire in the 1960s, but the Cathedral then moved to Ayr. 
Prior to the 1815 date the Maxwell Herries family, who held a lot of land in the area, retained a priest in their large estate house in Terregles.  The House no longer exists, the estate was bought up by Government after WWI and broken up into smaller farms.
Some time ago I recall looking at Catholic baptisms etc in a Register from that pre 1815 period held by the Dumfries Archives Centre.  These archives are now relocated with the Ewart Library in Dumfries.
That is all I can tell you, I suggest you contact the Ewart Library in Dumfries who may be able help with your specific enquiries.
Cheers,
Sy
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline s58roads

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RC Place of worship serving Closeburn
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Sy, Many thanks for this comprehensive reply. I will make contact with the Ewart and see what follows.
Geoff
Mann, Forfar
Dalrymple, Closeburn
McPake, Carluke
Stormont, Forfar
Waterston, Forfar