Author Topic: Help please re Death of George Henry Young  (Read 1352 times)

Offline samanthator

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help please re Death of George Henry Young
« on: Monday 17 August 15 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi everybody - I have been so lucky and impressed with the help I have been given on several queries already so here I am again with another request.

George Henry Young aka Harry Young/Harry George/Henry George Young is my 1st cousin 2x removed.

He was born on 14th December 1894 in either Fulham or Marylebone - Censuses and Register of Birth give both places!

1901 Census shows he was the grandson living at 197 Kennington Lane with his mother Rosa Ada Aplin as his father Henry Young had died in 1894.

1911 Census states he was still living with his mother and grandmother at 54 Clapham Road, aged 16 and working as a clerk in the Oil Industry.

On 25 June 1921 he married Kate 'Kitty' Celia Smith in East Preston, Sussex (Vol 2b P 759) and in 1932 he and Kitty went to Canada for a month - presumably to visit her relatives who had moved there. 

Before they left in August they were living in Streatley Hill and he described himself as a Merchant on the Passenger List.

When they returned in September they were intending to live at Strawberry Hill and he was a Manager.

I have been unable so far to find any trace of his death or any events that happened to him after 1932. 

I'm wondering if he was involved in either or both World Wars - but again can't find any information about this.

He and Kitty had 2 children - the son died in 1962 and the daughter is now very elderly and emigrated to New Zealand so I cannot obtain further details from that source either.

Hoping someone has more luck than me - I would be extremely grateful for any help at all.

Cheers and thanks for bothering to read this and trying to help - this is a wonderful site.

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help please re Death of George Henry Young
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 August 15 10:34 BST (UK) »
This looks like probate record for George Henry Young of 55,Cranbourne Road Northwood Middlesex died 26th April 1960 at Harefield Hospital Middlesex ..Probate London 16 August to Kitty Celia Young widow ..

Offline samanthator

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 August 15 11:58 BST (UK) »
rosie17 - thank you so much - now why couldn't I find that notice? trawled through reams of pages of all records on Ancestry - now seen both the probate and because of your help I have found the registration of his death as well - fantastic - many thanks.

Now just to try and track down if he was involved in either of the World wars and if so, how.

Yet again, a wall broken down very quickly thanks to Rootschat.com

Offline samanthator

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 August 15 11:59 BST (UK) »
rosie17 - thank you so much - now why couldn't I find that notice? trawled through reams of pages of all records on Ancestry - now seen both the probate and because of your help I have found the registration of his death as well - fantastic - many thanks.

Now just to try and track down if he was involved in either of the World wars and if so, how.

Yet again, a wall broken down very quickly thanks to Rootschat.com

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 August 15 12:42 BST (UK) »
For service in WW1: there are some records on Ancestry but around 70% were destroyed in the Blitz in WW2.

For service in WW2: records are still held by MOD; a useful posting with details sof how to apply for a copy:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=651361.0

Are there any photos of him in uniform or with medals?

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline samanthator

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 August 15 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Nanny Jan - I don't have any photos of him but will see if I can get some from other relatives of his - thanks for the advice