Author Topic: Wyton Family - Hook Norton  (Read 2282 times)

Offline onlyjenna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wyton Family - Hook Norton
« on: Monday 17 August 15 17:14 BST (UK) »
I am researching my family tree and find myself with Matthew Wyton from Hook Norton (born 1812 or 1813 and married to Phoebe.  I know that they lived in Down End.  I believe his father to have also been Matthew and that he was married to Hannah.  Not really sure how to prove it and wondering if anybody has any advice with regards to how to proceed.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Jenna

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wyton Family - Hook Norton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 10:54 BST (UK) »
I could not find a birth for Matthew. There are marriages in 1840 & 1842 but not to a Pheobe.

On FindMyPast there are two deaths:
MATTHEW WYTON born 1812 died 1880 Banbury, Oxfordshire

MATTHEW WYTON born 1810 died 1884, age 74 Banbury, Oxfordshire

As your Matthew was on the 1881 census I would assume the latter of the two, despite the age. 

MATTHEW WYTON will naming his wife Hannah & son Matthew is on FindMyPast dated 1856
I presume he was the one who died in Banbury 1851.

Regards

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 12:11 BST (UK) »
Jenna -
I am researching my family tree and find myself with Matthew Wyton from Hook Norton (born 1812 or 1813 and married to Phoebe.  I know that they lived in Down End.  I believe his father to have also been Matthew and that he was married to Hannah.  Not really sure how to prove it and wondering if anybody has any advice with regards to how to proceed.

The transcribed parish registers for Oxfordshire are available from Oxfordshire Family History Society www.ofhs.org.uk .  You can buy the CD covering Hook Norton, and convert (or otherwise) your various theories into possibilities, but there's a wider world than Hook Norton !!  Oxfordshire FHS also has countywide databases in which you can request a search be carried out.  See Surname Search Services on the left at www.ofhs.org.uk .  That way you get all the possible events in the county - your folk may have been married in Oxford itself, for instance, or someone of a matching name baptised in a nearby village.  Then you can make a better choice.

Wendy
OFHS HelpDesk
www.ofhs.org.uk

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenna

Welcome to RootsChat, I am certain you will find a great deal of help from a large number of willing folk within this site. Just ask away!!

Firstly I must support Wendy -(OFHS) recommendation to purchase the CD for Hook Norton. There is data in their for so many of your relatives within the transcriptions.
It is a great source of data for your research.

Within it I can see your Matthew and his baptism at St Peters Church, Hook Norton on29 June 1813 son of Matthew and Hannah. Matthew senior was a Farmer.

Nigel

Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 11:03 BST (UK) »
Me again Jenna

Now this is interesting.
I have found Matthew (senior) marriage - again in St Peters Church transcribed PR's

6 Nov 1811 Matthew WYTON otp bach to Hannah WYTON same pash spin after banns. Wits; Richard GOFFE, James WYTON & Elizabeth HALL

Soooo were Matthew and Hannah cousins - most likely?

and for Matthew (younger) I have this marriage:
3 Feb 1840 WYTON Matthew Full Age Bach Farmer Hook Norton s o Matthew Farmer
                 PHIPPS Elizabeth FA Spin Hook Norton  d William Labourer
                 Wits: Samuel Wyton & Ann Wyton
                 marriage after banns.

and then there comes this:

Burial : 2 May 1841 WYTON Elizabeth aged 28

and then there comes this:

8 Sept 1842  WYTON Matthew FA widower farmer Hooknorton s Matthew farmer
                    WATTS Charlotte minor spin Hook Norton d Arthur Lab
                    Wits: Samuel WYTON & Patience BEDFORD   
                    marriage after banns
I cannot see a marriage to a Phoebe but I wonder if thats what they called Charlotte because I can see children being baptised as son or daughter of Matthew and Phoebe

Hope this all helps?

Nigel

Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline onlyjenna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 August 15 19:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies and Nigel thank you for finding those records.  I am fairly new to this so any advice really does help a great deal.

Jenna

Offline MauriceLee

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 October 16 01:47 BST (UK) »
I don't understand what NDRFT has written.
I have details from census info for about a dozen Wytons in Hook Norton (including my granddad) no idea to transmit the info to you. I am on facebook as Maurice Lee picture is a beige Chihuahua lying on a cat.

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 October 16 07:50 BST (UK) »
Hi MauriceLee
Welcome to Roots Chat. You will find a great deal of help within this web site and many people waiting to provide suggestions, solutions or critique your research. So enjoy.

I see you do not understand what I posted regading the intial quest for help in regards to Matthew and Phoebe.
So what dont you understand exactly?
The data I posted is from the transcribed PR's (Parish Records) for the church in Hook Norton. The PR's are available to purchase, on CD. from the Oxfordshire Family History Society and as of this month they are also viewable on Ancestry.
Census information is ok but often they can be inaccuarte, the data recorded relied upon both the literacy of the person providing the information - who most probably had limited reading and writing skills, calenders were scant, the church cycle was more used than calenders as today.
The census innumerators sometimes had limited skills as well.
Then we have to consider accent, colloquisims of dialect regions and also lost words for some places, trades and such like. So whilst the census information is crucial it can also miss lead - just a word of warning.

Dont worry abot transmitting census information most of us on here will be able to see that data. Sometimes it is useful to have the census record reference number but not esssential. Personally I can see the census for the people being discussed on this thread anyway.

The data may well not be accurate it may well conatin errors and it may well be be irrelevant buttttt the data is an extraction of what has been transcribed and it remains the researchers responsibility to decipher the offered information and accept, consider in the future or reject it.

Often when we as individulas come along and read posts they may not make sense or the posts may reveal previously unknown or incorrect information within family folklore, records, research or what ever - thats why this whole Family History can be so frustrating and yet such fun.

So do let me know what you cant understand and I wil offer an opinion but even that opinion may conflict or contradict - lets see?

NDRFT

P.S - I wont be looking on Facebook, I use this site for research help!
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,