Author Topic: Brockenhurst/Southampton Masters  (Read 4316 times)

Offline rm91

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brockenhurst/Southampton Masters
« on: Monday 17 August 15 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I had a previous thread on my great x5 grandfather, thanks to the help of members on here there were a couple of leads so thanks for that. I've looked in to the leads and now need some more advice.

My great x5 grandfather was William Masters, a blacksmith who married in Southampton in 1802. We never knew where he was born (aside from in the county of Hampshire), or who his parents were. Age given as 81 upon death in 1858...

Two leads on the previous thread ( http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=725577.0 ) were a census entry in 1851 for a William Martin which looks very much like our William, aside from the surname. Everything fits, so I suspect this is an enumerator error. This gives a birthplace of Brockenhurst, Hants. I know there are lots of Masters who were blacksmiths in Brockenhurst, so makes sense.

The second lead was a marriage for an Elizabeth Blowmasters in Southampton in 1782. Thought nothing of it until we saw a 1779 baptism for a baseborn son, William, in Brockenhurst, to 'Betty Blowmaster'. Again, thought it was a weird surname but didn't really think it was linked.

Then we see a settlement examination in 1763 for Nicholas Masters, blacksmith of Brockenhurst, his wife Christian and children, including daughter Elizabeth Blow Masters, aged 8...

I suspect Elizabeth Blow Masters, born around 1754/55, was the same as the 'Betty Blowmaster' who had William baptised in 1779 in Brockenhurst, and then married in Southampton 3 years later stated as 'Elizabeth Blowmasters'.

So I'm happy with that being the case. But then what of son William? Is he my great x5 grandfather? Some mentioned on the other thread to check bastardy bonds - no luck.

We know our William ended up in Southampton in 1802 when he married, and lived there until he died 56 years later. But was he the one born to Elizabeth Blow Masters? Did he go with her to Southampton, or did he stay with his family in Brockenhurst, hence becoming a blacksmith like his grandfather and many Masters before him?

I started this new thread just in case there was anything we've missed... Always think it's good to get a fresh perspective. Many people have been incredibly helpful with this, but just thought I'd do a new thread, hope that is ok. No luck with bastardy bonds, apprenticeship forms... I've a good feeling about it, but need to prove it!

Russell
Masters, Edwards, Gray, Fulthorpe, Herron, Zacks/Zaks/Sacks, Stadler, Palm

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brockenhurst/Southampton Masters
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 August 15 21:54 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Blow Masters was baptised in Brockenhurst on 15 Dec 1754, daughter of Nicholas.  I've tried looking for a reason for the name Blow to be included, but no luck.

I've also tried looking for any relevant wills which provide an answer and allow you to prove your theory - again, no luck so far.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rm91

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 08:48 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Blow Masters was baptised in Brockenhurst on 15 Dec 1754, daughter of Nicholas.  I've tried looking for a reason for the name Blow to be included, but no luck.

I've also tried looking for any relevant wills which provide an answer and allow you to prove your theory - again, no luck so far.

Nell

Hi Nell,

I too have had a look, it looks as if there were one or two ‘Blow’s in the area at the time, but no link. I believe Nicholas married Christian Collis, from Fordingbridge. On Knightroots for Brockenhurst there’s a William Blow son of John COLLIS September 12 1722… Surely just a coincidence.

I know there is a will for a Nicholas Masters in 1692 (off the top of my head?) and another in 1722 (again off the top of my head, think that Nicholas died in 1723), but nothing for who is potentially ‘our’ Nicholas who we suspect was born around 1729.

Elizabeth Blow Masters married a Mr Gandy, there is a possible death for an Elizabeth Gandy in Southampton, but again I have found no will or anything like that.

I do suspect my great x5 Grandfather William Masters the blacksmith is Elizabeth’s daughter, but just need that evidence to prove it. It’s frustrating that it’s not straight forward!

Russell

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 21:12 BST (UK) »
Nicholas Masters aged 91 was buried in Brockenhurst 4 Dec 1820.

It is possible that there is a Quaker connection - the names of Blows and Masters appear in the Hampshire Quaker records.

Nell

Offline rm91

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 21:20 BST (UK) »
Nicholas Masters aged 91 was buried in Brockenhurst 4 Dec 1820.

It is possible that there is a Quaker connection - the names of Blows and Masters appear in the Hampshire Quaker records.

Nell

Hi Nell,

I am not familiar with the Quakers or their records? Are there any specific names there?

Russell

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 22:43 BST (UK) »
There is Nathaniel(l) Blows (d 1705), plus a few usual names like James, Mary, Hannah Blose in the burial records.

A Nicholas Masters was buried in 1659.  Again, some others like Anne, George, Jospeh & William, but there are perhaps less than twenty in total.

A Nathaniel Blows m Mary Messer in 1704 (could this be Master?)  Another marriage in 1708 for a Nathaniel Blows to an Elizabeth Pack.  James Blose to Hannah Westbrook in 1746 and a John Knight to Eliabeth Blose in 1748.

Nell

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 12:47 BST (UK) »
Comyn's New Forest mentions 2 MASTERS families in Brockenhurst

Nicholas a blacksmith born 1730.   He married Christian COLLIS at Boldre 26/08/1753 (she is buried at Brockenhurst 09/04/12).

Next door is Simon and his wife Elizabeth (HEAD) with their children:
James 1796 now living Marchwood
Christian 1798 now living Lymington
William 1801
Thomas 1804
John 1807
Sophia 1808
plus a servant Charlotte WARWICK 1806

I can't see any entries for BLOWS/BLOSE
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rm91

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 13:42 BST (UK) »
There is Nathaniel(l) Blows (d 1705), plus a few usual names like James, Mary, Hannah Blose in the burial records.

A Nicholas Masters was buried in 1659.  Again, some others like Anne, George, Jospeh & William, but there are perhaps less than twenty in total.

A Nathaniel Blows m Mary Messer in 1704 (could this be Master?)  Another marriage in 1708 for a Nathaniel Blows to an Elizabeth Pack.  James Blose to Hannah Westbrook in 1746 and a John Knight to Eliabeth Blose in 1748.

Nell

Hi Nell,

They could well be the Brockenhurst Masters who I'm potentially linked to. Nicholas seems to be a family name. Thanks for the info.

Comyn's New Forest mentions 2 MASTERS families in Brockenhurst

Nicholas a blacksmith born 1730.   He married Christian COLLIS at Boldre 26/08/1753 (she is buried at Brockenhurst 09/04/12).

Next door is Simon and his wife Elizabeth (HEAD) with their children:
James 1796 now living Marchwood
Christian 1798 now living Lymington
William 1801
Thomas 1804
John 1807
Sophia 1808
plus a servant Charlotte WARWICK 1806

I can't see any entries for BLOWS/BLOSE

Hi bearkat,

Thank you for the info. What is Comyn's New Forest and where is it accessed?

That Nicholas would potentially be my great x7 grandfather if I can find proof his daughter Elizabeth Blow Masters is the mother of my great x5 grandfather William Masters who married in 1802 in Southampton.

I suspect the Simon next door is Nicholas' son - I think Nicholas and Christian Collis had John, Nicholas, Christian, Sarah, Thomas, Simon, Francis as well as Elizabeth Blow Masters who I'm interested in.

But this info is great, thanks very much both of you.

Kind regards,
Russell

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 14:08 BST (UK) »
Comyns New Forest is a directory of life in the parishes of Boldre and Brockenhurst 1817. The notebooks of the vicar, the Rev Comyn, were published as a book in 1982 but is no longer in print.  They are like a census but include  even more details plus maps showing dwellings. You should be able to find a copy in Hampshire Libraries or through Inter Library Loan, for a charge.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk