Author Topic: Andrew Penson - Looking for his marraige c. 1716  (Read 1659 times)

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew Penson - Looking for his marraige c. 1716
« on: Monday 17 August 15 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters

I am looking for assistance in finding the marriage of Andrew Penson and Ann(e) ??? circa 1716.

Andrew Penson was born at Church Aston about 1690. On 7 Nov 1718 a daughter Mary was baptized for Andrew and Ann Penson at Sheriff Hales. Four more children followed then after Nov 1727 he appears to have moved back to Church Aston where a further four children were baptized. He appears to have died at Church Aston, being buried there on July 15 1773.

I have never been able to find the marriage of Andrew and Ann although there are a few trees that state her m.s. was Addenbrooke and there was a family of that name living at Sheriff Hales.

While he was at Sheriff Hales, Andrew Penson is noted in the Register as being a Churchwarden for a couple of years but I don't know what his actual occupation was.

If anyone has knowledge of this family or can find the marriage I would love to hear from them.

Thanks for reading.

Venelow
Canada

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline bristolloggerheads

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Penson - Looking for his marraige c. 1716
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 August 15 08:59 BST (UK) »
Lots of Penson wills and inventories at Lichfield Record Office but mostly from the Lilleshall area. Only Andrew listed died in 1707 but may be a link to yours.
Syner alias Taylor from Broseley and Benthall

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 August 15 17:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for responding bristolloggerheads

The Pensons I am looking at did come from Lilleshall. Andrew's father was Joseph Penson 1667 - 1743
I believe the Andrew who died in 1707 was the uncle of the Andrew I am looking at.
I don't know if Joseph left a Will. I have not been able to find a catalogue of Lichfield wills online. The Lichfield RO site seems pretty minimal. I could not access the Catalogue link but I don't know if this is because I don't live in the UK. I did find an old page online that states they are hoping to get information on line by 2007.

I have located the PCC Will of Anne Addenbrooke's father John but unfortunately he died, a widower, in 1710 so there are no clues there except that Anne's married sister Elizabeth and her husband John Allport were charged with her care and maintenance so there would be some incentive to get her married off as quickly as possible. Anne was about thirteen when her father died.

As I said, there are trees online that state Andrew Penson married Anne Addenbrooke but nobody cites a marriage date. Evidence I have found so far is circumstantial; Firstly, Andrew's wife Anne died in 1790 at Church Aston and was noted to be 96 years old. Anne Addenbrook was baptized in Jan 1696/7 which makes 96 pretty close to her age of 93 if indeed she was the Anne who married Andrew Penson.

Secondly Andrew Penson and Dorothy Allport were witnesses to a Deed, Dorothy, being a daughter of Anne's sister the aforementioned Elizabeth the wife of John Allport.

Maybe these nuggets of information are what other researchers are basing there information on. I have contacted one researcher but had no response so far.

Thanks again
Venelow
Canada

Offline bristolloggerheads

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 August 15 20:33 BST (UK) »
As you can see Joseph did leave a will.

Andrew 5 August 1707 (no inventory)
Joseph 8 Nov 1743 (no inventory)
Margaret 12 Oct 1727 (no inventory)
Robert 20 April 1737
Thomas 12 April 1678
Thomas 28 April 1687
William 4 Oct 1667 (no inventory)

Dates are when the will was exhibited (not when it was written) but this is the date you will need to quote to Lichfield RO if you want a copy. Index is here: http://www.staffsnameindexes.org.uk/default.aspx?&Mode=Details&Index=C
Peter
Syner alias Taylor from Broseley and Benthall

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 September 15 03:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter

Thank you so much for your reply and the URL for the index of Wills. That is most helpful. Forgive the tardiness of my response but I was away from my computer on a short vacation in Northern Ontario this past week.

Best Regards,

Elisabeth
Ontario, Canada