Author Topic: Joseph Mcgregor BIRTH 1815 • Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Liverbird1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Mcgregor BIRTH 1815 • Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland
« on: Tuesday 18 August 15 11:57 BST (UK) »
Looking for descendants of the above.

More info: Marriage 21 Apr 1847 • Stirling,Stirling,Scotland
Agnes Gilespie Reid (1822–1853)

Children:
Duncan McGregor BIRTH ABT 1848 • Stirling, Stirlingshire
DEATH Unknown. Married Agnes Robertson Winning in 1873

Agnes Elizabeth Mcgregor BIRTH 09 MAR 1853 • Glasgow, Lanarkshire married William Mair

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Mcgregor BIRTH 1815 • Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 12:11 BST (UK) »
There are 4 public trees on ancestry, have you contacted those owners ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Liverbird1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra

Thank you; I'm not a paid member at the moment :( might have to do 1 mth

Offline lizmbyoung

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 April 17 17:24 BST (UK) »
#Agnes Elizabeth Reid or McGregor was my g g aunt. Her parents being William Reid and Agnes Robertson. She was was born at 11 Baker Street Stirling. Her brother was also William Reid. Another borther was John Robertson Reid, who died in 1846. Two other siblings died in infancy.  Her brother William Reid was my grandmother's father, Jessie Reid and she kept in close contact with the McGregors. 
William Mair and Agnes Elizabeth McGregor had no children.
I can give you dates and have quite a number of photos of the family but not sure how to send them to you.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 April 17 22:03 BST (UK) »
I'm confused. Are you saying that Agnes Elizabeth McGregor, born 1853, who married William Mair, was the daughter of William Reid and Agnes Robertson, not the daughter of Joseph McGregor and Agnes Gillespie Reid? If so, how did she acquire the surname McGregor? I see that a William Reid and Agnes Robertson had a daughter Agnes, born in Glasgow on 4 April 1863, ten years after the birth of Agnes Elizabeth McGregor to Joseph McGregor and Agnes Gillespie Reid.

I see from the index at Scotland's People that Duncan McGregor, son of Joseph McGregor and Agnes Gillespie Reid, was baptised in Stirling on 4 May 1848, and Agnes Elizabeth was baptised in Glasgow on 9 March 1853. Joseph and Agnes were married in Stirling on 21 April 1847.

In the 1851 census (FreeCen transcription) in Forth Place, Stirling are
Joseph McGregor, 36, wood merchant, born Glasgow
Agnes McGregor, wife, 25, born Stirling
Duncan McGregor, son, 3, born Stirling
Duncan McGregor, brother, 19, draper's assistant, born Glasgow
Helen Stewart, servant, 26, born St Ninians.

So Joseph was born in Glasgow in about 1814 or 1815, and his brother Duncan was born there in about 1831 or 1832.

Agnes Elizabeth McGregor married William Mair in Glasgow in 1886.

Have you seen
- the original marriage record of Joseph McGregor and Agnes Gillespie Reid in 1847
- the original baptism record of Duncan McGregor in 1848
- the original of the 1851 census
- the original baptism record of Agnes Elizabeth McGregor in 1853
- the original marriage certificate of Duncan McGregor and Agnes Robertson Winning in 1873
- the original marriage record of William Mair and Agnes Elizabeth McGregor in 1886?

If you have seen them, what else do they tell you?

If you have not yet seen them, you need to go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, invest in some credits at modest cost, and use the credits to download those items of information. Then tell us what you have found out, and we can think about the next step.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lizmbyoung

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 11:40 BST (UK) »
Sorry I was in a hurry to send to you, and muddled up the Agnes Elizabeth McGregor with her mother. 
I haven't looked at Scotlands People about this [though done much other research there particularly on earlier Reids] as my information is taken from the family bible of William Reid and Elizabeth Douglas [ie. the son of William and Agnes Robertson.]  But he fills in  all the info on the McGregor family as far as the births of Duncan and Agnes Elizabeth McGregor births,  The info about William Mair is on theback of the photos, and somewhere I must have other info as my grandmother kept in touch with them. And her brother William Reid the third and his wife also. I can vaguely remember hearing talk of Duncan [Dorie]
Hope this clears things up a bit.  It's not of primary interest to me as have loads of other research on the go but as I say I can email copies of the photos easily.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 12:01 BST (UK) »
I don't need copies, thank you. This family isn't related to me as far as I know - I was just trying to toss in a ha'pennyworth of help.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Liverbird1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 July 17 13:40 BST (UK) »
@ Liz yes please I would love to see anything you have on the McGregor's; I have tried to contact you via this site, but can't

shelly

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 July 17 20:39 BST (UK) »
You both should be able to contact each other using the Personal Message on the left hand side of the page. And then you can exchange e-mail addresses to swap pictures. As you aren't allowed to give out your e-mail addresses on here.

Wilton Endeavour
Snadon Clackmannan/Alloa, Sim/Syme Kilsyth, Davies Kirknewton, Mowbray Colinton/Kirknewton, Shaw Kilsyth, Allan Lasswade/Penicuik, Mullin Waterford, Kirkwood Kilsyth, Laird Denny, Haggart Blackfriars Lanarkshire, Bell Dalmeny, Willets Worcestershire, Cleland Kilsyth.