Author Topic: Gillan County Cavan  (Read 1800 times)

Offline griogair

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great-grandfather John Thomson (b.1877) Duntocher
    • View Profile
Gillan County Cavan
« on: Tuesday 18 August 15 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I'm looking for some help or even to be pointed in the direction of where I may go next in my Gillan research.  I have been searching for the Irish origins of my Gillan ancestors for a while and recently made a breakthrough in discovering by chance that they came from County Cavan. My great-grandfather was John Gillan 1888-1976 of Garscadden and Duntocher, Dunbartonshire, Scotland. His grandfather was Patrick Gillan c1831-1877 and who came to Dunbartonshire from County Cavan. There were, an still are, a concentration of Gillans in Duntocher, where they originally worked in the flax industry and coal/ironstone mining. I can go one generation back to Patrick's parents Thomas Gillan (born c1808 - a farmer) and Catherine Duffy. Thomas had siblings John b1805 and Mary b1823, all born in Ireland, presumably County Cavan also. The names Patrick, Thomas, Edward and John seem to recur frequently in my branch of the family. I have been unable to link back to any Gillans in Ireland so far. I realise that there are many different spellings (Gillen, Gillon, Gillin, McGillan, Gallen etc.) and the lack of a village name also makes the task even more difficult. My next task is to study the poor law records in Scotland and see if I can come up with a village of origin but as I live in the Isle of Skye I'm quite a distance away from where the records are kept in Glasgow and Edinburgh and may not get there for a while. I was just wondering if anyone perhaps knew of any more background on the Gillans in Co. Cavan.
Many thanks indeed,
Greg
Thomson - Duntocher<br />MacKay/McKay - Ness - Isle of Lewis, Tradeston, Dalmuir<br />Gillan - Cavan, Duntocher<br />Crerar - Loch Tay, Perthshire<br />Muir - Allness, Ross-shire<br />Speed - Campbeltown<br />Boden - Ayrshire, Duntocher<br />McQuiston - Ayrshire

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gillan County Cavan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 13:38 BST (UK) »
No need to start a new topic- you also have one from July this year with some help already given-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=726413.msg5707303#msg5707303

Catholic Parish registers now online-
http://registers.nli.ie/#home_map
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline griogair

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great-grandfather John Thomson (b.1877) Duntocher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 13:53 BST (UK) »
I'd posted in the all Ireland forum a couple of weeks ago before I had info on County Cavan. I thought I might find someone researching Cavan specifically here who may look here rather than in the all Ireland threads. Apologies
Thomson - Duntocher<br />MacKay/McKay - Ness - Isle of Lewis, Tradeston, Dalmuir<br />Gillan - Cavan, Duntocher<br />Crerar - Loch Tay, Perthshire<br />Muir - Allness, Ross-shire<br />Speed - Campbeltown<br />Boden - Ayrshire, Duntocher<br />McQuiston - Ayrshire

Offline FINNE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 December 16 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greg,
Good to hear from you.  I am also really interested in Irish origins but no luck so far.  Were your Gillans also spelt Gillon as well as Gillan?  it would be great if there was a connection as you have got further than me.  I know my Peter Gillon seems to be the first in Glasgow (around 1840s) but can't be sure.  His father Thomas was a cattle dealer in Ireland and married to a Gill I think.  Peter was married twice and had 2 families in Glasgow but both he and 2nd wife Euphemia died orphaning 3 children.
Kind regards
Fiona