Author Topic: Andrew and Rickard families in Nancekuke area, early 1800s  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew and Rickard families in Nancekuke area, early 1800s
« on: Tuesday 18 August 15 13:49 BST (UK) »
I am helping a relation-by-marriage research his Andrew family who originated in Cornwall and have so far managed to unearth his 2x great-grandfather John Andrew, baptised 10 Jun 1821 at Illogan, three other siblings - Martyn, George and Mary Ann, and their parents William and Grace (nee Rickard), but there the trail has run cold. The family was at Nancekuke Downs between at least 1819 and 1828, when William died. There don't seem to be very many parish records available online for this area, and I have completely failed to dig up earlier Andrews or Rickards. Is there perhaps a CD of the parish records for Illogan available anywhere, so that we could take the family back a few more generations? We have managed to trace his 2x great-grandmother's side back to the early 1700s and it would be great to do the same with the Andrews.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew and Rickard families in Nancekuke area, early 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 16:02 BST (UK) »
The best place to look is Cornwall-OPC-Database (.org.uk), which has a potential marriage?

27th August 1796 at St Agnes
William Andrew to Grace Tonkin, widow

And 7 potential baptisms:
1797, St Agnes, Elizabeth
1817, Stithians, John
1817, Illogan, Martyn
1819, Illogan, George
1821, Illogan, John
1822, Illogan, Mary Ann
1828, Illogan, Elisha
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 19:09 BST (UK) »
This family are proving to be quite tricky: we are reasonably sure that John's father was the William Andrew "of Nancekuke" who was buried on 24 August 1828, at Illogan, and his age at burial is given as 48 (born 1780). We have found young John (a blacksmith), and his sister Mary Ann, at Porthtowan Common, in the household of a Martin Rickard and family in the 1841 census, and it's possible the Rickards are relatives, as a William Andrew and Grace Rickard married on 25 April 1816, in Illogan. (If this is the right couple then Martyn, bapt 1817, was their firstborn.) We also know there were at least five other Andrew couples baptising children in Illogan at the same time as William and Grace, but haven't yet been able to establish if they were related.

We can't raise hide or hair of brothers Martyn and George, or their mother Grace, in the 1841 census returns and, in addition, there are deaths registered in the Redruth district for a George Andrew in Dec Q, 1844, and a Martin Andrew in Mar Q, 1848. John left for Australia not long after his marriage in 1848, so there's no help there, either!

I have trawled through the Cornwall OPC, FreeReg, FamilySearch and anywhere else I could think of in an effort to find more of the family but have so far drawn a blank. I have, though, found burials in the 1860s for a William and a Grace Andrew in St. Stithians parish, who may be the parents of the other John you found, baptised in St. Stithians in 1817.

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 19:56 BST (UK) »
It looks as though Cornwall OPC has added some new transcriptions in the last week or two, as Elisha's baptism is new. (Interestingly, Martin Rickard has a child named Elisha.) Re the two deaths I mentioned: George Andrew's burial is now on there and it confirms he's one of "ours" as the age and place of residence details tally, but Martyn/Martin isn't - this one was 58 when he died, so too old to be John's brother, though he may well be related.

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 20:13 BST (UK) »
...and I forgot to mention that I've just found a burial for a Grace RICKARD Andrew, 8 January 1832, age 40 (b. 1792) of Wheal Towan. The word "Decline" is written beside Notes on the transcription so it sounds as if she had been in poor health for some time. Perhaps she had never quite recovered her health after Elisha's birth and her husband's death shortly after. Elisha died in 1829.