Author Topic: Largs tearoom  (Read 2414 times)

Offline g forgeron

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Largs tearoom
« on: Tuesday 18 August 15 17:51 BST (UK) »
Does any one have any pictures of the large baker's shop/tearoom which used to be on the street just down from the railway station on the opposite side of the road?

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Largs tearoom
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 14:57 BST (UK) »
The position of Largs (Deadend) Station, means it effectively has 3 opposite sides of the road.
If you do a google map walk you may be able to be more specific to it's whereabouts.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 August 15 14:59 BST (UK) »
I'm assuming that you're looking for something recent (last few decades), in case its something older then this might be close though I've no idea where on main street it is in respect to the station.

http://digitool.abdn.ac.uk/R/XAJY8S9HMR5T637GF15165UCLCX2VS9DNE3GUUCJPQUITXCVY2-03168?func=results-jump-full&set_entry=000013&set_number=000294&base=GEN01-LHC01-GWW

S_L

Offline g forgeron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 August 15 16:58 BST (UK) »
Having looked at Largs on Google I think it is around where the Royal Bank of Scotland is now situated, the era would be around the First World War

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 February 16 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Was it Mackay's? My Mum's cousin worked there.  It's in the background of this photo, although not very clear.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline g forgeron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 February 16 14:26 GMT (UK) »
You might well be right, I honestly don't have a clue what it was called

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 February 16 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 February 16 16:59 GMT (UK) »
and found this too.

Offline g forgeron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 February 16 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pharma, many thanks I think this is indeed the picture I'm looking for. My late father who would be around 10 at the time was "boarded out" in Largs with his two younger brothers around 1915. The people they were living with kept them half starved.

One day they spotted the large cream cakes on display, the cafe had two entrances and the plan was that he would run in one entrance grab a cake from the display and out the other, then run for it.

He ran in, grabbed a cake but unfortunately a customer in the shop grabbed him. He told him stealing was wrong etc etc but my dad pointed to his two younger brothers across the road and said they were all starving, this being 4 o'clock and all they had eaten was a slice of bread and dripping at 8 o'clock and a glass of water and they would get the same at 5 o'clock.

"Right"said the customer, "how bout a plate of bacon & eggs? Tell your brothers to come over, I'll treat the three of you"

My father was 88 when he died but every time we passed through Largs he used to tell that story, that's the reason I wanted the picture.

Thanks once again.