Author Topic: Wildsmith baptisms  (Read 1177 times)

Offline david1701

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wildsmith baptisms
« on: Wednesday 19 August 15 13:12 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help me track down 3 Wildsmith baptisms please?

Robert Wildsmith married Martha Smith in Duffield in 1742 and they had a number of children.  I'm happy that I have found baptism details in the Duffield Parish Registers for Joseph (1742), John (1744), Mary (1746), William (1749) and Robert (1755).

However, I also know, both from Robert senior's Will, and from a very worn gravestone at St Alkmunds in Duffield, that Robert and Martha also had 3 more children - Thomas (born about 1751), Rebecca (born about 1753) and George (born about 1758).

The grave at St Alkmunds indicates that Thomas died on the 15th Nov 1783, aged 32, and that Rebecca died on the 8th Jan 1784, aged 30.  George is commemorated on another grave at St Alkmunds, which indicates that he died on the 16th May 1835, aged 77.

I've searched for the baptisms of Thomas, Rebecca and George but with no luck.  Any thoughts, suggestions or assistance would be gratefully received.

Thanks  :)

Offline Gick1984

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Wildsmith baptisms
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 October 23 23:15 BST (UK) »
Do you know who Martha Smith's parents were? I think if I remember I saw that her father was possible Richard Smith, but can't remember if there were any sources attached or where I saw that. Given that her first daughter's name is Mary there is a good chance her mother's name was mary, but as Smith is a very common name it is hard to narrow down. Any documentation to narrow it down would be very useful.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wildsmith baptisms
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 October 23 11:03 BST (UK) »
I note on freereg that Robert and Martha's marriage is listed plus one other, then there is a gap until around 1760, so none of the baptisms are there but possible marriages and burials and later baptisms. Might be worth a look.
The baptisms you mention are on family search but not the three you need.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.