Author Topic: Is anyone researching the Langs of Renfrewshire?  (Read 8512 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone researching the Langs of Renfrewshire?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 25 June 17 00:33 BST (UK) »
Yes. My great great grandmother, Jane or Janet Lang was born in Pollokshaws in 1815. I have found only one birth record but don't trust that it is correct.

Where/when did Jane/Janet die?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 25 June 17 00:41 BST (UK) »
Agnes Lang was born in 1817 in Cadder, Lanarkshire, Scotland. She died on 11 March 1866 in Noon, Barhill Rows, Twedras, Kirkintillock, Dumbartonshire, Scotland but we have no further details about her parents.

I'm unsure as to how you know she was born in 1817 & where but no parents names?

It looks like you have her DC from SP?
Were her parents names unknown?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline isbean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 25 June 17 00:54 BST (UK) »
Jane Lang Purvis died in 1897 in St. Jean sur Richelieu, Quebec, Canada. She lived most of her life in Glasgow, but travelled to Canada to assist with her grandchildren when their mother was ill. She died there, reputedly from falling down the stairs. She is buried there. Her husband, Robert Turnbull Purvis, died in 1886 in Glasgow and is buried in Govan.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 25 June 17 01:04 BST (UK) »
Was there an obituary with any details pointing to anything?

Annie

Offline isbean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 25 June 17 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi. No obit (everything is in French and I haven't delved the newspaper option in that small town). Just the parish record. Nothing on the tombstone either. I need to push harder in Quebec. I tried all the census records in the Glasgow area, too.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 25 June 17 16:46 BST (UK) »
isbean,

Did any of the children have middle names which may be a clue?

What were the names of her childre in order eldest to youngest?

Annie

Offline isbean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 25 June 17 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie... Already tried that, the normal pattern seems irregular in this family.
Children in descending order:
1st infant died, female, no name known, born act 1846;
2nd child, 1st son: Thomas Purvis (after paternal grandfather);
3rd child, 2nd son, Charles Watson Purvis (named after paternal grandmother's brother...a little weird, but this great uncle was influential in starting them all in the family pottery trade in Glasgow);
4th child, 2nd female, Margaret Purvis, after paternal grandmother... could be that Jane Lang also had a mother named Margaret, too...
5th child, 3rd son: James Watson Purvis, named after paternal grandmother's father;
6th child, 4th son: Robert Watson Purvis, Robert after his father, Watson again;
7th child, 3rd daughter: Emma Ann Purvis, named after a sister in law of father.

The only birth record I found for follows:
in Pollockshaw:  Janet Graham Lang 1816 Volume 21, page 360. The record reads:
Archibald Lang writer and Elizabeth Graham  LD Janet Graham bo 6th Augt. Wit: John Lang & Alexander Graham. ‘in Pollockshaw Glasgow’...

There are no other Jean, Jane, Janet Langs born about that time in Pollockshaws...

However, there are no children named after Archibalds, Elizabeths, Alexanders or Johns. I find that suspicious, which makes me wonder if this record is correct.

The 'Pollokshaws' location is in numerous census returns, etc. as her place of birth.

Stumped, and unwilling to completely trust this one record. I have been gnawing on this bone for years!

Thank you for your thoughts and ideas. Have you done a DNA test? Perhaps we might match, and that would be a clue...

Best,
Jean

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 25 June 17 18:06 BST (UK) »
Jean,

I'm not related, only trying to help  ;)

So they were in the Pottery trade maybe why the have their own design for naming children  ::)

Charles Watson Purvis....

Was it the Charles or Watson or both which was the name of the paternal g/mother's brother?

"2nd female, Margaret Purvis, after paternal grandmother... could be that Jane Lang also had a mother named Margaret, too"

Very likely as it was a very common name.

I would agree the only baptism found doesn't seem a match?

Annie

Offline isbean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 25 June 17 18:15 BST (UK) »
Hi again.

Thank you for your opinion ... this birth record seems iffy at best. She married Robert Turnbull Purvis in Linlithgow... again a little weird, as she was from Glasgow, and he had recently moved from Prestonpans to Glasgow. I did search Langs in the Linlithgow, but didn't turn up anything. I shall continue and I much appreciate your interest and comments!

Cheers,
Jean